Any Interest In A Rocky Road Event?

avroair

I am thinking of planning a "Rocky Road" event which would be run like a geo-rally. Teams would be given 7 clues at a breakfast. Each clue is a hint to a geological formation (such as Turtle back rock, Tripod Rock, Chimney Rock etc) The team then drives to the location finds a Rally Ammo can (and opens it with the combo) takes the clue and combo to the next location. So on and so forth for 6 cool geological places.

Any thoughts? Would people be interested in this? No schedule set yet.

Here is one done in NC Pennsylvania last summer. I didn't attend, but those that did said it was fun. Maybe you could contact the organizers for some ideas.

As an aside. When I was looking for this cache on 9/21/2002 there was a (non-geocaching) road rally going on. I found it to be very obnoxious, but that could of been the way it was set up. Vehicles kept ripping in and out of the parking area, people were drinking, yelling and running all over the woods. It was not a very peaceful cache hunt.

Good Luck!

Salvelinus

As an aside.  When I was looking for this cache on 9/21/2002 there was a (non-geocaching) road rally going on.  I found it to be very obnoxious, but that could of been the way it was set up.  Vehicles kept ripping in and out of the parking area, people were drinking, yelling and running all over the woods.  It was not a very peaceful cache hunt.

The above sounds like an activity called "hashing" I have heard about - involves a lot of drinking and running around following trails marked with piles of white powder

I would be interested in the rocky road event :(

Edited by trowel32
The above sounds like an activity called "hashing" I have heard about - involves a lot of drinking and running around following trails marked with piles of white powder

Actually hashing doesn't involve vehicles, other than to get you to the start. More info. Drinking is usually done afterwards.

Edited by briansnat

I have done a Hash Run. It is not done with cars and it is always done at night. . Hash runs are events hosted by a world-wide running club called the Hash House Harriers and the drinking part comes at a selected bar after the race where you sing bawdy songs and drink beer. The race is through the woods mainly following a trail marked by patches of baking flour. :(

Edited by lakelady

Hashing is fun. They do it a lot in the ex-pat countries and its huge in Malaysia and Brunei. We have a NY chapter here. It's fun to run them, but be ready for the unexpected.

Oh yeah, I'd def be in for the Rally as long as its not in the beginning of July.

edit: punctuation

Edited by zarah

Drinking is usually done afterwards.

Actually you drink WHILE you are hashing in most modern urban versions, at least that's what we did. I have done a couple in NYC, London and D.C. I was designated a FRB!!! If you didn't have drinking no one would attend... much like caching events! :ph34r:

Vehicles kept ripping in and out of the parking area, people were drinking, yelling and running all over the woods

This doesn't sound too different than grabbing drive and dump caches! :ph34r:

Edit: punctuation

Hmm... Cache hash event.

Edited by avroair

Sorry, didn't mean to trash hashing. The article I read about it (from a Lancaster, PA paper -- I think the Lancaster New Era) discussed drinking heavily during the event, women baring their chests, and people getting injured (and this were quotes straight from the hasher's mouths), so it didn't give me the best impression of it as a legitimate "sport", but to each their own :ph34r:

EDIT:hashing article

Edited by trowel32