Caching Saved Me From Final Exam

aquarose

I am a senior in college and for part of our Business and Professional Writing midterm we had to write a short paper titled " teach me something". The purpose was to teach my professor something she didn't know and the winner would get exemption from the final exam. I chose geocaching as my topic and I won. I am very happy that my new hobby got me out of my final exam.

Actually geocaching did get me out of 1/2 a day of work. Professionally I work with Geographic Information Systems. Indiana had it's statewide conference a copule of weeks ago. One of the prominent regional organizations hosted a 1/2 geocaching event. Not only did it get me away from the office, but I actually got paid to geocache. I challenge anyone to top that one!

That is an excellent story! Geocachers are experts at wiggling their way out of things in order to devote time to the hobby. I hope you found some caches while your friends were studying for the exam.

The cacher's advantage extends out into the work world, too. My employer awarded me an extra vacation day after I came up with a method for solving a common problem for our company through the use of GPS.

Actually geocaching did get me out of 1/2 a day of work.  Professionally I work with Geographic Information Systems.  Indiana had it's statewide conference a copule of weeks ago.  One of the prominent regional organizations hosted a 1/2 geocaching event.  Not only did it get me away from the office, but I actually got paid to geocache.  I challenge anyone to top that one!

:lol: Gotcha: I'm a GIS Manager for a medium-size city. To keep our remote sensing skills from getting rusty, and to help our local park system, I've had the GIS staff start placing geocaches in our city parks on a regular basis as part of our duties. It brings folks to often under-utilized parks, plus keeps our skills sharp. Our Parks Superintendent is all for it; how cool is that???

I LOVE my job! ;)

Well, I didn't get paid in fact I had to work on a Saturday. But that "work" was training a group of National Guard soldiers how to use their new Magellan Sport Trak Pros before they left for the desert. Was an especially great experience as I have served with many of those guys in different units and anything I could do to make sure they got home safe made me feel a little better about staying stateside.

Not only did it get me away from the office, but I actually got paid to geocache. I challenge anyone to top that one!

I travel regularly (about once a month) for work to cities all over the country. My boss knows about my geocaching hobby, and he's not a cacher himself, he doesn't mind if I add an extra half day to my trips to cache. :laughing:

So, I get paid to geocache too, and get to increase the number of states I've cached in too. Check out the bottom of my profile.

I am a senior in college and for part of our Business and Professional Writing midterm we had to write a short paper titled " teach me something". The purpose was to teach my professor something she didn't know and the winner would get exemption from the final exam. I chose geocaching as my topic and I won. I am very happy that my new hobby got me out of my final exam.

How about posting the paper?

How about posting the paper?

I was thinking the same thing. Besides being interesting, it might be another useful resource for newcomers and/or muggles who accidentally end up here.