60cs Shut Off On Its Own?

While playing with the settings on my compass, my 60CS randomly shut off, not a power down, but the screen faded away and then shut off. Has this ever happened to any of you 60CS owners. The battery meter is showing that they are full, and i am using Energizer E2 batteries. Any ideas?

While playing with the settings on my compass, my 60CS randomly shut off, not a power down, but the screen faded away and then shut off. Has this ever happened to any of you 60CS owners. The battery meter is showing that they are full, and i am using Energizer E2 batteries. Any ideas?

I had the same problem with my 76c when I was using low quality batteries,but since I've been using GP2300mAh there are no more problems of such kind!!

Greetings from the Lowlands...

It's a known problem. I had it happen to me on my 60C. I'd had it for 5 or 6 months when it happened to me 3 or 4 times in a week. Then, as mysteriously as it began happening, the problem went away.

It seemed to happen as I was playing with it - pushing buttons while doing a Find function and keying in data.

The recommended fix is to put some foam behind the battery contacts so that they make constant contact with the batteries.

Bad batteries, intermittent contact of battery leads, random software crash, how many guesses do you want? Can you reproduce it at will? What firmware version are you running?

I am running 3.70 that I just uploaded the other day. Battery contacts look good, but unfortunatley I cannot reproduce it. I am afraid that if I send it in, they wont be able to reproduce it either and it will be a waste of time. Has anybody expierienced this with 3.70?

The time I most often see it is when I start the unit with a dead set of my rechargables in it. It may have enough juice to power up, but it then does what you describe within a few seconds. That's why I suspect a power problem.

There are some minor and rare instabilities on the operating system, but as long as it isn't a common occurrence, I wouldn't worry about it.

Email Garmin with this problem. They'll respond. I had the same problem with my Legend. The rep. said to do a "hard" reset (small pin size hole in back) and restart with the same start-up procedures as new. Once re-established, go to the Garmin 60cs page and update the latest version.