Mapsend Topo 3-d

Is going out and buying MapsendTopo 3-D worth the money? I have Mapsend Topo v4.20, and does anyone know if there are any good reasons to upgrade?

I don't care about the PC 3-D terrain feature, just wanted to know if the 'in-GPS' features are better... more accurate maps, more POI's, more dense topo contouring? Someone help me.

I have a MeriGOLD

The elevation data for the 3D Topo maps is from the 30m grid DEM database as compared to the 90m grid DEM data for the older Topo. That makes for considerably better detail. The new maps also get their street map data from NavTeq, so they're like DirectRoute (but without auto-routing), rather than the older and less accurate TIGER database used before.

However, you won't find trails on the new maps.

I have been using Topo 3D for about 2 months now and I'm very happy with it. Overall, I think the Topo 3D is a vast improvement over the original Topo US. The improved Topo detail is far better than Topo 4.20 and the streets have been updated and are pretty accurate (at least in my area). I would prefer contour intervals of 10 or 20 meters, but 30 is definately much better than 90 meters. Topo 3D also includes more POI information, like restaurants, gas stations, hotels, ect. It basically combines the better Topo detail with improved POI from DirectRoute like Peter said. I have not seen any missing detail from 4.20 to 3D such as trails, but there aren't many trails in my area.

At first I thought the 3D veiw mode would't be of much use but I was wrong. This feature allows you to plan a route and actually view your plan on a 3D map which can be pretty useful. I use my GPS and Topo software for work (military) and the 3D view is pretty useful. I suppose it could even help with planning a cache hunt, allthough I have not tried it yet. Most of my caching is in Illinois which is pretty flat anyway.

By the way, you can preview your area on the Magellan website to see how 3D will look. I opened Topo 4.2 on my computer and then went to Magellan's preview link to do a side by side comparison for my areas.

For me, this upgrade was worth the price.

B)

I have not seen any missing detail from 4.20 to 3D such as trails, but there aren't many trails in my area.

Upgrading to this lost us hundreds of trails in the Bay Area. The tiger map datum had a lot of fire roads and major trails, where the NavTeq has none. If you care about roads, the upgrade to 3D is nice. If you don't, I'd say it's not worth the pain (pain = $$ upgrade cost + wacky copy protection where you MUST have the CD in the drive and it will only work with one GPS like direct route does).

I personally have never noticed a difference in contour lines on the handheld itself. I just noticed the missing trails.

--Marky

Interesting. I live in Sacramento, CA. I have DirectRoute as well, and if the roads on Topo3-D take the road info from DirectRoute, I can't do that. There are a ton of dirt forest roads in the Sierras that Directroute does NOT show, and the old Topo 4.20 does. If it doesn't have these roads (as Directroute doesn't) I would be no less than pretty pissy after spending $60 or whatever..

-

(sp)

Edited by Marcie/Eric

Marcie/Eric,

Try the preview off the Magellan website first. It is inter-active so you can zoom in on any area in the US and check it out down to .2 of a mile. You can see first-hand if your dirt roads/trails are there or not and if it is worth it. You can also take a look at the 3D feature. The preview on the website works pretty well and would only take a few minutes of time. I know for me, many dirt roads are still on Topo 3D. I believe Marky is also in California and was less than pleased with the missing details. If it's missing too much, skip it. I would recommend you see for yourself before you decide though.

Question about the Mapsend 3D software???? I have DeLorme Topo software, it has alot of the trails and dirt roads on the maps, at least where I am from (south Alabama). In the Delorme software you can select two waypoints (or more) and the software will select a route to get from one location to the next, using the roads and trails to get to the final destination. Does the Mapsend 3D software have the same ability???

Cheers

Muddler

Edited by Muddler
I'd say it's not worth the pain (pain = $$ upgrade cost + wacky copy protection where you MUST have the CD in the drive and it will only work with one GPS like direct route does).

You mean you can't just load it on your hard drive and be done with it? I tend not to keep the original CDs handy.

Another Question?? Can you load waypoints to a file that Mapsend can interpret and then view the WPs on your PC-map and see the WPs with the GPS connected, so you can see your progress on the map and all of the Caches in the area? I can do this with delorme Topo and I figure you can do it with Mapsend 3d Topo, I just have not seen it clearly described in the product description on the Magellan site. I use this function a lot and don't want to buy the software if it will not do this. I can do without the Maps o the GPS but they would be a great addition if I can do routing on the PC.

Cheers

Muddler

Now that I have purchased and used Mapsend Topo 3FD I can say I will not use another Magellan product. To take out the trials and require purchase from their trails.com site is not a business practice I can agree with. Have they also eliminated the streets from the Direct Route software? Whe I upgrade it will be to another GPS vendor.

Gregg

:rolleyes:

So where are all of the experts to answer two specific Mapsend Questions?? I am trying to make a decision on the purchase of mapsend software. I see there are some that do not care for it. Please look further up in this post for the 2 questions or let me know if I need to repost. I tried to ask these questions else where and had the topic closed before it got a responce.

If you can help please do!!

Cheers

Muddler

Question about the Mapsend 3D software???? I have DeLorme Topo software, it has alot of the trails and dirt roads on the maps, at least where I am from (south Alabama). In the Delorme software you can select two waypoints (or more) and the software will select a route to get from one location to the next, using the roads and trails to get to the final destination. Does the Mapsend 3D software have the same ability???

No, I think Delorme is unique in autorouting with trails. Topo3D does no autorouting, not even with roads. You can create a manual route (much easier on PC than on GPS).

Another Question?? Can you load waypoints to a file that Mapsend can interpret and then view the WPs on your PC-map and see the WPs with the GPS connected, so you can see your progress on the map and all of the Caches in the area? I can do this with delorme Topo and I figure you can do it with Mapsend 3d Topo, I just have not seen it clearly described in the product description on the Magellan site. I use this function a lot and don't want to buy the software if it will not do this. I can do without the Maps o the GPS but they would be a great addition if I can do routing on the PC.

Waypoints can be loaded and displayed. Any NMEA-compliant software/GPS combo should work. One can track position in MapSend Topo USA 4.20; I presume that this capability is retained for T3D (I don't have it)

Disclaimer: I'm not a real expert; I just play one at gc.com :o