Incorrect Tb Placement

laker2

:anibad: A few weeks ago I mistakenly indicated that I put a TB from my inventory into a cache. I actually put the TB in a different cache. Unfortunately I never wrote down the TB tag number. So now the first cache is showing a TB that is not there and the second cache has a TB in it that is not shown on the cache page. Since I no longer know the TB tag number I am having difficulty in trying to correct things. I did email the TB's owner about this but have not heard back and the mistakes remain. My logs in both caches indicate the true situations. I am assuming that when someone finds this TB in the second cache, they will simply grab it from the first cache.

Question: Is there anything else that I could/should do at this point?

Thanks!!

If the owner doesn't get back to you, there's not much more you can do about it (unless you go back to the cache yourself to get the tracking number). There are a couple of things you could try:

(1) Ask the owner of the "Put Me In Coach" cache to mark the TB as missing. That won't put it in the correct location, but at least people won't be looking for it in that cache.

(2) There are four people watching the TB in question ("Little Jeeps, too!"). You could put a note on that TB's page (similar to the notes you put on the two cache pages) describing what happened -- maybe one of those four people has saved the tracking number and will send it to you. (It's a long shot, but it could work... after doing this kind of thing once ourselves, we've started keeping a file of tracking numbers for all TBs that we've found.)

Post a note on the cache page that you mistakingly put the bug in. I'd future date it so it stays on top, then delete it when the problem is fixed.

Email the cache owner of the cache that the bug is really in. Ask them if they would please get the tag number for you when they check their cache next. Chances are if the cache is relatively close to where they usually are, they'll stop in for you.

Once you get the tag number, log a found it note, then delete the drop into the wrong cache (and the pick up) and then drop the bug into the proper cache.

Don't mark the bug missing. Without the number, you can't anyway. E-mail the owner of the travel bug (by clicking on the link to their name, and then use the send a message link on their cache page) and explain what happened, and ask for the number, then using the number go back, retrieve the bug online, delete the logs, and log it into the correct cache. If the owner doesn't reply in a timely manner, e-mail contact@Groundspeak.com with a link the wrong cache, the right cache and the travel bug page, and explain how it's meant to be. Please post back if you don't make progress.

Don't mark the bug missing.  Without the number, you can't anyway.  ...

I might be re-reading this out of the context that it was meant to be posted because it's true in all instances except...

1. Just log into an appropriate account: TB owner/cache owner/volunteer reviewer.

(Not sure about the volunteer reviewer part or the powers of the TPTB as I have no way to personally verify this)

2. Select the option "Mark bug missing" in the drop down menu.

3. Confirm the yes/no question.

and could even write a note on the Travel Bug page and/or Cache page, all with out access to the "secret" number.

Maybe a quick clarification on this from our intrepid volunteer mod, who I really have the deepest respect for. <_<B)