GeoBobC Posted March 24, 2005 Share Posted March 24, 2005 The next to last item in the upgrade is "Improved WAAS search and selection process to be smarter in its handling of multiple SBAS service providers, overlapping service volumes, and exceptional conditions." I've noticed some very unusual behavior after upgrading. Has anyone else? Prior to 3.70, my satellite page would always display WAAS satellite numbers 35 and 47, even if no signal was being received from them (they are the two WAAS satellites visible in the U.S.) After upgrading to 3.70, I notice that sat 47 only stays on the satellite page for about 40 seconds if no signal is received from it. The 47 is then replaced by 33 and the unit subsequently cycles from the WAAS/SBAS satellite numbers in pairs: 35/36, 37/38, and so forth until it reaches 47: it then skips to 46/48. It acts as if the firmware initially looks for satellite 47, and if it does not find it quickly it then ignores 47. I called Garmin and they said they if a signal from 47 was received while the unit was cycling through the 33-51 satellites, it would replace one of the other numbers on the satellite page. However, my unit does not work that way. I turned the unit on (not in view of satellite 47), waited for the 47 to be be replaced by 33 on the satellite page, and then placed the unit in clear view of satellite 47. No luck - it never acquired even after 10 minutes. However, if I turn the unit on in clear view of 47, it instantly acquires sat 47within 15 seconds. Quote Link to comment
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.