Car Mount

hikerak

Hello,

I have a GPSMAP60 which I love and would like to use it for routing to some of the caches that I do, I woulld like to mount it on my car so that I can see the up coming turns and stuff. I drive a Ford Escape, does anyone have any suggestions? Am in the wrong forum?

Thanks, Matt

I just bought a GARMIN Automotive Mounting Bracket for my 60CS from Amazon for about $28, including shipping. It uses an adhesive disk to attach the bracket base to the car's dashboard. The round belt clip gizmo that screws into the back of the GPS and the little slot on the bottom are the two main attachment points to the bracket. It adjusts about 27 different ways - I was able to get it positioned perfectly for viewing while driving. The instructions call for mounting and unmounting the GPS from the bracket using a clip release on the mount, but this leaves part of the bracket attached to the GPS. So instead, I just bend the bottom of the bracket that grabs the bottom slot of the GPS down a bit and the GPS pops free. It's easy to snap the GPS back into place when you return to the car.

I was getting worried about the GPS sliding around the car, and I drive a standard transmission, so in traffic it was a real challenge to steer, shift, and navigate at the same time (and you thought cellphone users were bad!). About the only problem I have now is that I find it tough to make out some screen details, but that's a function of old eyeballs more than anything else.

The bracket came with two different adhesive disks - one "repositionable" and one "permanent". I used the repositionable disk first to make sure I like the installation, and I'm going to switch to the permanent disk eventually. I'm curious to see how the adhesive holds up in the summertime.

HTH

I have one of the GARMIN suction cup mounts attached to my windshield in the lower right corner of my Explorer. Despite bouncing down some rough roads it has held and not came off. It is fairly easy to mount and dismount my 60cs from the holder. By putting it in the lower right corner, it is easily viewable, but doesn't obstruct my view. I chose the suction cup version since it doesn't require any permanent attachment to the car or risk of leaving velcro goo behind.

A general after market provider of mounts is Ram Mounts...

http://ram-mount.com/

After "loosing" (pop off windshield) cell phone mount several times and having to retrieve unit off lap or car floor, I suggest something more substantial...

Dale

After checking the Ram Mounts website I called the two nearest dealers listed on their website (Long Island NY). Neither of them had any idea what I was talking about! Where did you find them?

A general after market provider of mounts is  Ram Mounts...

http://ram-mount.com/

After "loosing" (pop off windshield) cell phone mount several times and having to retrieve unit off lap or car floor, I suggest something more substantial...

Dale

After checking the Ram Mounts website I called the two nearest dealers listed on their website (Long Island NY). Neither of them had any idea what I was talking about! Where did you find them?

I bought my RAM mount online (GPScentral.ca). I chose a suction cup mount since it would work best with the three different vehicles I would be using and wouldn't require the use of any adhesives.

The suction cup popped off once, so I cleaned the windshield and cup and haven't had a problem since. It has stayed attached for the past three months, over a range of temperatures (a bit below freezing to about 20C).

There's a lifetime guarantee on its parts, too.

GeoBC

Like buying anything, if local dealers dont have it, it's their loss.....

Other option is special order, order from catalog and the simplest of all, ORDER ONLINE.

Try an search on GOOGLE, search string "ram mounts".

Dale

Edited by Dale_Lynn

I got mine from GPS City. They shipped very quickly and their prices are normal for the RAM mounts. You won't find them cheap anyplace. I use the 3.25" suction cup mount on my windshield and it is very firm. I also get no vibration while driving.

Ernie

I crruently use a cell phone mount but the back of it isn't setup for that cord, while it hasn't fallen off yet, I will soon. : ) It also gets in the way of the gear selector as I have it on the air vent behind the selector. (Now what do I do with my IPOD, and cell phone??? Yes, changing the ipod music, navigating a cach while talking on the cell phone... Driving the car sure gets in the way....) :ph34r: I thin I will have to go with the windshield mount as well. I am glad to hear that they all have been working well. That will make my decision easier..

MAtt

I use the Garmin windshield suction cup mount - it works great and has never fallen off. Get the part number from the Garmin site and do a Google search on the part number - lots of online retailers sell it for less money than Garmin does.

After investing several hundred dollars in a GPSr, I wouldn't quibble with spending an extra $10-20 to get a mount designed for the unit (versus using something like a cell phone holder), but that's me.