Geocion Trades

How do you handle trading GeoCoins. On my first trade of one of my Pa coins with someone from Alabama, I got ripped off. I would email that person if I still had the email to go back to. Since then I've made several out of state trades without another loss. Do you send your coin out the same day or wait until you receive the other persons coin first?

How do you handle trading GeoCoins. On my first trade of one of my Pa coins with someone from Alabama, I got ripped off. I would email that person if I still had the email to go back to. Since then I've made several out of state trades without another loss. Do you send your coin out the same day or wait until you receive the other persons coin first?

I think the lesson learned here is to keep all relevant information until the transaction is completed. It's generally best (in my opinion) to start out the transation with an e-mail through Groundspeak. That way, both parties have the other's cacher name, and assuming that they are active cachers (and anyone interested in trading geocoins probably is), they wouldn't want to tarnish their cacher name by doing something stupid like cheating someone on a geocoin trade.

--Marky

I have yet to be disappointed with any swaps I've set up with a fellow cacher. I thought I may have had someone get the better of me recently, but found out some personal problems had prevented their getting the trade item in the mail.

As noted earlier, save copies of all correspondence and follow up. Don't hesitate to ask the other person what has happened.

Good luck,

S-4-C

Now let me add this.... Do ya'all make your own coins? If so, how? I would like to start collecting them, but I relieze that it will be hard to get any if I don't have any of my own to offer up in trade. So, if someone can help me get started on making my own, that would be great.....

I have been trying to get my hands on a Mountainbike geocoin, but have had no luck....

Well through posting about trades of coins via mail, I resolved my coin problem. The other party to the trade moved shotly after the trade. With all the moving preparations he thought that the coin was sent. It will be in the mail soon.

The bottom line is, trust your fellow geocachers, and save your information.

Goldsnoop-PA

I have only traded for two coins -- one through the mail and one through the front desk of a hotel I was staying at on vacation. Both transactions were really good, except that each person also left me a personal item and I do not have any :tired: -- so I sorta felt like I should make some coins or a calling card or something!

There is a good thread for this topic in the Travel Bug section, and also some posts that link to pictures of geocoins (so you can see what you are missing). Maybe one day there will be an official catalog of gecoins. I know that the Moun10Bike coins are probably the most sought-after in the world! I'd hate to find one personally -- because regardless of whether I was *allowed* to keep it, I just wouldn't and couldn't if I found it in a cache. Maybe I'll be able to trade for one someday.

Now let me add this.... Do ya'all make your own coins? If so, how? I would like to start collecting them, but I relieze that it will be hard to get any if I don't have any of my own to offer up in trade. So, if someone can help me get started on making my own, that would be great.....

I have been trying to get my hands on a Mountainbike geocoin, but have had no luck....

http://www.beckydavis.com/dave/

You can see a bunch there. For the metal coins there are a couple of people that make their own and more that make wooden or clay ones. If you're shooting for trading for items like the moun10bike coin though I would say you have to have a really well done handmade item or pay the bucks for them to be made.

On my first trade of one of my Pa coins with someone from Alabama, I got ripped off. I would email that person if I still had the email to go back to.

You didn't get ripped off... the person in question, in this case... ME, was in the process of moving from the deep south to NYC. It honestly slipped through the cracks. I either thought I had already sent it and that was the "reply coin," or I simply forgot. Either way, it'll be resolved. Thanks to a mutual friend, I have your address again and it will be sent this week!

Sorry for the confusion.

But to answer the question... I go with whatever the other trader is more comfortable with. If he wants it sent first, it gets sent first. If he wants to send so he won't forget, that's fine too. I try to keep track of the trades on a note pad, so I know what trades are completed and what is still pending. But when things get packed into a hundred boxes and crammed into a space half the size of where you were living... things get lost!

From what I've seen the people that bought them originally have extras also in hopes of trading for those they don't have. And expect for the Vacman coin I've never seen anyone sell a personal coin.

Of course with all the people collecting and buying them as they come out, it's really hard to get in sice everyone has all the new coins anyway. One way of course would be getting your own coin or trading in your area for really cool sig items from other cachers and then contact a collector (like myself :( ) for a swap of a coin for some sig items.

Do most people generally trade only or do some sell, just wondering because I have been wanting to get my hands on some coins but have none to trade, how do I go about getting my foot in the door any tips.

I have been asked to sell extra coins in my collection rather than trade, but that feels kind of like being a "retail distributor". I'd much rather use them to trade for something else I can't buy, like other cool sig items (doesn't have to be a coin).