Beginner Quiestiuons

olddog717

1) Set your GPS to WGS84.

2) A micro cache is a small cache (frequently about the size of a 35MM film cannister) that normally contains only a log. Good idea to bring your own pencil when seeking micro caches. Can be hard to find when you are just getting started, so you might want to look for a few regular size caches first.

3) Welcome, and have fun geocaching! ;)

Edit: I typed too slow!

Edited by cache_test_dummies

It is important to be aware of which one your gps is set for and which one your map uses.

Datums are a frame of reference for mapping. The are many differrent datums that are used around the world. As noted in a previous post, geocaching.com uses WGS84. You will also notice a link to convert to NAD27 on each cache page. Most USGS maps use NAD27. I enjoy mapping my caches before going into the field on topo maps.

Try an experiment to see what a difference the two datums make. Find a cache using the correct datum and then switch to the other to see how far off you are according to your gps.

I am new to geocaching as well and I have enjoyed the wealth of knowledge available here in the forums. I also recommend the book Geocaching for Dummies. Of course, there are mutiple web sights that cover the different datums.

It is exciting to see someone new to geocaching. I trust you will ejoy it as you learn many new things.

Edited by VirginiaJim

You want the same datum as the coordinates. Sometimes a cacher may hid a cache using NAD27 as opposed to WDS84 so pay attention but 99.999999% of the time WDS84 is good. The diffeanace here in colorado is 40 meters as some folks experianced when looking for a benchmark usung NAD27 coordinates with there GPSr set to WDS84.

Enough said on the other.

welcome

cheers