Neat Log Entry

res2100

I was looking through one of the log sheets from my IMC2 Primary cache yesterday and I thought it was interesting to find a neat entry from a non-cacher as follows:

Oct 12 2004

The Region of Halton Survey Dept.

Just looked in the bush and saw the jar. Opened it and now I'm part of the gang. have Fun <Name>. Left the Ford key chain ring.

See if you can find the reference cut cross on the rocks. It should have 3, but have only found two.

...Sounds like they have a neat job and I thought it was cool that they found my cache. They never did log their find online though. Makes me think of hiding some caches out in the open to see what kind of people find it and take the time to write in the logs. Would be an interesting experiment to see how many non-cachers would sign the log and get their thoughts in the logs and also to see how honest people would be not to remove it.

Interesting idea Res. Caches for Muggles or even a Muggles Cache series. Actually one of my now archived caches "Stroll along the River" was sort of hidden out in the open but in a very out-of-the-way place. The log book ended up with 5 entries from Muggles, all fisherman and/or hunters and only once did I have a problem with it being moved or semi-vandalized. Kind of renewed my faith in man-kind at the time.

Cheers, Olar

Recently I was out with Algonquin Bound doing some cache maintenance on the Bruce Almighty series and we came across an area that had been logged. The cache that was in the base of a tree was left in the (now) stump and covered by branches. It was obvious that the tree cutters had found the cache and had carefully placed it back and cover it up!

In another cache close to home, was a note by a surveyor who had found the cache while working in the field.

It's great to learn of these potential new geocachers and that they can leave the caches for the rest of us.

I had one note left by a non GPS owner, who now is and has 25 finds..........

Nice Sunday walk of about 2 hours round trip. Had to utilize your clue as I don't have a GPS (yet). E-mail enroute.Nothing taken, but I left a Scouts Canada Popcorn pin. Cache in good shape.

I've heard of several cachers who don't use a GPS but plot the locations on a topo map and then go find it. Here's one with 503 logged finds. He does, I believe, borrow a GPSr to place caches as it's not easy to work out latitude and longitude in the field without one. Some of his logs are interesting as they involve taking bearings from landmarks in order to pinpoint the cache location. With the increasing availability of on line of high resolution satellite photos where you can mark a specific latitude and longitude it should be getting easier to find caches without a GPS.

I had someone without a GPS trying to find one of my caches just from the map and hint. He was having trouble (as do people with GPSr's) finding it. I sent him a high res satellite photo with the location marked and he then found it rather easily.