Gps's On Continental Airlines Only.

Eric K

I know different airlines have different policys but I'm ONLY concerned with Continentals policy as I have a flight coming up with them.

As anyone flown Continental recently and know what their policy is in regards to using your GPS during flight?

As anyone flown Continental recently and know what their policy is in regards to using your GPS during flight?

Continental seems to be rather confused internally about their GPS policy. The question came up just last month after one of their flight attendants asked a passenger to turn off his GPS receiver. Two people wrote to them specifically asking for the current policy.

One letter came back saying:

"We appreciate your taking the time to contact us. I was advised by the

Inflight Operations Department of Continental Airlines that GPS

receivers may not be used at any time during flight. Continental will

continue to evaluate the use of these kinds of electronic devices

onboard the aircraft. When appropriate and safe, we will permit their

use. Thank you for your interest in Continental Airlines. "

The other said:

"I am in receipt of your concern surrounding the use of your GPS system and have been advised by the Managing Director of Safety and Regulatory Compliance that you are able to utilize that handheld device when the aircraft is not below 10,000 feet.

I hope this information is beneficial to you and thank for the opportunity to respond to your concern. As always, thank you for choosing Continental Airlines for your travel needs."

I've never paid much attention to published policies.

As stated by a number of people already, just ask the crew when you board.

I've been on airlines which have policies against GPS, and airlines that don't. Regardless of the policy, sometimes they say I can use it, sometimes they say I can't.

One tip, though... I think it's a good idea to have the GPS in hand when you ask. A couple of times when I've asked about GPS, the greeter on the plane had no idea what I was talking about. In the cases where I've had the GPS in my hand and simply asked if I could use a hand-held GPS while showing them, the answer has been yes more than half the time.

In conclusion, whether Continental specifically allows or prohibits GPS use is moot. It's up to the crew.

Jamie

Lots of larger aircraft do have screens which show you your current position and speed.

I don't know much about specific policies, but when it comes to using a GPS receiver, I'd just do it (unless they specifically tell you not to beforehand) and shut it off later if asked. As we all know, a GPS receiver does not send any information whatsoever, and thus it cannot conceivably interfere with the airplane's systems.

As we all know, a GPS receiver does not send any information whatsoever, and thus it cannot conceivably interfere with the airplane's systems.

As all radio techs know, radio receivers by design do in fact emit a weak signal. Also, as most computer techs know, digital circuits also generate a weak radio signal. Since there is a (extremely slim) chance of a (most likely malfunctioning) device generating a strong enough signal to interfere with aircraft radio and navigation systems, all airlines ban them on takeoff and landing, and many ban all radio receivers in-flight. And yes, while extremely unlikely, there have been dozens of documented cases of actual interference caused by electronic devices used by passengers.

... while extremely unlikely, there have been dozens of documented cases of actual interference caused by electronic devices used by passengers.

I think that should be "suspected" interference rather than actual. In almost all reported cases it has not been possible to duplicate the situation afterwards even when the airline or aircraft manufacturer bought the suspected device and conducted extensive testing.

Here's Boeing's report which gives details on a number of the most documented cases of suspected interference:

http://gpsinformation.net/airgps/interfere4.pdf

Note one of their conclusions: "Boeing has not been able to find a definite correlation

between PEDs [passenger electronic devices] and the associated reported airplane anomalies."

After the two contradictory letters were received from Continental that I quoted above, a clarification was requested and Roy now reports that he got confirmation that GPS receivers can be used on that airline when at cruise altitude. Continental also indicated that they will be printing that information starting with the next issue of their InFlight magazine. Here's their latest letter:

"I am in receipt of your information and the "final answer" given to that

customer on March 3, remains the same. GPS devices are permitted once

the aircraft is above 10,000 feet. Information which specifically

addresses the usage of GPS devices onboard Continental flights has been

added to the existing information and will be released with the April

2005 issue of our Continental Airlines InFlight magazine.

Look towards the back of the magazine in the "Traveler Information"

section under "Electronic Devices". I hope this information alleviates your concern.

Your comments will be beneficial for Ms. Bilal. Thank you for choosing

Continental Airlines for your travel needs.

Sincerely

Deelyce Brantley

Corporate Customer Care Manager "

I don't get it. These posts come up on the discussion board all the time.

Why ask? Just bring your GPS on your flight and use it once electronic devices are permitted. If someone asks you to put it away, then do so. It seems pretty simple to me.

Remember, it is always easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Your use of a GPS in-flight is not going to get you arrested or have the device impounded.

Of course Continental is giving everyone a mixed message...that's what corporations do. When was the last time you got a straight answer from a customer service person regarding any query?

Edited by Crazy Aaron

I just flew out to Chicago from Newark and tried my gps once personal electronics were allowed. Not unexpectedly, reception was pretty bad, with just one satellite popping in and out. I was in the middle seat. Perhaps I would've had better luck in the window seat. I played around for a bit then put it away.

I just flew out to Chicago from Newark and tried my gps once personal electronics were allowed. Not unexpectedly, reception was pretty bad, with just one satellite popping in and out. I was in the middle seat. Perhaps I would've had better luck in the window seat. I played around for a bit then put it away.

My experience is that you have to not only be in the window seat, you have to hold the GPS up against the window.

I believe when the rulings first came about, they were intended to eliminate the potential of a highjacker using the GPS'r to direct the plane to a known coordinate once they got control of the plane. ... Okay, I'm prolly wrong about the original intent but I think that is what I remember.

:lol:

I had a similar experience as Ramapo and Briansat. When electronic devices were allowed on a recent flight, I pulled out the GPSr and fired it up. A flight attendent asked what I was doing, I explained, all was just fine.

Except for the fact that I couldn't get reception. Held it against the window in varying degrees of angles. I even moved on the plane to another window on the other side of the isle.

Sure enough, one satellite at a time popping in and out was the GPSr could manage to get a signal on. I gave up and put it back away.

I believe when the rulings first came about, they were intended to eliminate the potential of a highjacker using the GPS'r to direct the plane to a known coordinate once they got control of the plane. ... Okay, I'm prolly wrong about the original intent but I think that is what I remember.

Of course, the GPSr in the cockpit will do the same thing once one has control of the airplane.

This is my experience on Continental (April 4 -7, RT to Florida). Yup, we made time for some geocaching! I agree with BrianSnat -as long as I had a window seat and kept the unit (Meriplat) up to the window I got good sat reception all the way, both ways. In the back of the April Inflight magazine under 'Electronic Devices' GPS devices are now listed as approved, but not to be used until the aircraft is above 10,000 feet. (I ignored it - I was looking for my house as we left Newark Liberty Intl Airport, or whatever it's called now.) Continental does show the approximate location, speed, and altitude on the screens, but it's not nearly as much fun as watching it on the GPSr and then flipping over to the maps and seeing what state, county, city, road you are over. Especially at night. It was better than the movie.

A little OT and winded but it's different.

A while back I traveled quite a bit Delta 99.9% of the time (it was before you know)

never was a problem with using my gpsr always got a window just so I could use it.

Most every time whomever was next to me would have interest and ask questions, there was a couple of times when people around me would over hear and want to take a look even with the cabin display because of the detail on the handheld that usually would happen after someone said hey look that's the street so and so lives on.

But one time coming from Jackson Hole to Atlanta somewhere near Wichita a fellow had a Heart Attack of course everyone became concerned, it was just like on TV is there a doctor in the house.

I turned on my gps, in just a few moments I noticed the engines rev up took a look and see we were going well over 700 mph. I cant remember exactly but I did take a picture of the gps, the people around me asked repeatedly and appreciated the info. Got from Kansas to Atl on the ground at the gate in less than an hour. And the guy made it the Doc's at hand said that he'll do just fine. :lol::lol:

Of course, the GPSr in the cockpit will do the same thing once one has control of the airplane.

What Sbell said. Plus, from my experience, cockpit windows on some larger aircraft have some sort of thin foil layer (I can't remember exactly what it's for, whether it acts as a defrost like the one in the rear windshield of a car or is designed to shield the cockpit from external interference) that blocks sat signals from reaching a handheld GPS even with a 180-degree view of the sky. Confident that it wasn't just my unit acting up, I asked one of the pilots who owned a GPS, who said that he had long ago given up trying to use it to track progress from the cockpit.

I have used my gps on every flight. I like to see what cities wer are above when i see lights and stuff at night. One time i got yelled at, the other time they said it was ok to use. Either way now, i dont bother asking. i just try to avoid direct eye contact from the flight people.

As we all know, a GPS receiver does not send any information whatsoever, and thus it cannot conceivably interfere with the airplane's systems.

As all radio techs know, radio receivers by design do in fact emit a weak signal. Also, as most computer techs know, digital circuits also generate a weak radio signal. Since there is a (extremely slim) chance of a (most likely malfunctioning) device generating a strong enough signal to interfere with aircraft radio and navigation systems, all airlines ban them on takeoff and landing, and many ban all radio receivers in-flight. And yes, while extremely unlikely, there have been dozens of documented cases of actual interference caused by electronic devices used by passengers.

I too didnt think a GPSr emitted a signal of it's own but have recently seen differently. Turns out that a friend of mine's GPSr makes an FRS radio go crazy when brought too close to it (around 12 inches). It may have something to do with only her specific Magellan Meridian Gold, since ive tried it with various Garmin units and havnt been able to duplicate the results.

Back before 9/11 I would routinely bring my Garmin GPS III+ with an *external* antenna with me when I flew. The external antenna would slip between the window and the sunshade and I could always pick up enough satellites to get a good location fix.

I always asked the flight crew before turning the unit on and found that the the flight attendants usually are clueless about what a GPS is and would usually answer "no" since that is the "safe" answer. As a result, I started phrasing the question like this "Could you ask the captain if it is OK for me to use my GPS unit to see where we are?". When they got around to it, they would usually ask and then come back and let me know the answer (about 75% yes, 25% no).

Whatever you do, if one of the flight crew tells you to do something, do it. Their word is law.

TM

The other said:

"I am in receipt of your concern surrounding the use of your GPS system and have been advised by the Managing Director of Safety and Regulatory Compliance that you are able to utilize that handheld device when the aircraft is not below 10,000 feet.

I totaly agree with this policy. Satalites should only be engerized above 10,000 feet. Even if you could find enough space in the over head bin to put it you shouldn't be using commerical airline to get them in to orbit. :P

I too didnt think a GPSr emitted a signal of it's own but have recently seen differently. Turns out that a friend of mine's GPSr makes an FRS radio go crazy when brought too close to it (around 12 inches). It may have something to do with only her specific Magellan Meridian Gold, since ive tried it with various Garmin units and havnt been able to duplicate the results.

All receivers emit rf (radio frequency). Without gettting too technical. They "mix" a rf signal with the received rf signal to produce another signal, lower in frequency, that can used by the receiver. Some manufacturers choose to rf shield their units and others don't. The rf shielding really isn't to keep your unit from interfering with other receiver but to keep other receivers from interfering with your receiver. If you check your owners manual I'm sure your'll find a piece of FCC rules printed on a page that basically says if your unit is causing interference then you have to go somewhere else or turn it off, but if your unit is getting interfered with you just have to suck it up and live with it.

Ok, I have something to let you guys chew on. My GPSr is a Rino 110. What are the rules for FRS radios on airplanes? I usually turn it off to save my battery, but I could always turn it back on.

Also, what are the rules for cell phones? I think I heard you are allowed to use them (if you can) when cruising. Anyone know for sure?