Meridian Platinum

My first reaction is that you probably didn't give it enough time to acquire satellite lock. Perhaps it has been a while since you last had it turned on, or maybe you've traveled some great distance, which would require extra time to get a lock.

My first suggestion is to take the GPS outside, turn it on with a clear view of the sky, and let it sit still. Five or ten minutes ought to be enough, but maybe 15.

I'd wager that will solve your problem.

Next, you might try resetting the unit. I can't recall exactly the procedure for this, and I since I no longer have my GPS, I can't check it out for you. I'm pretty sure a "Clear all memory" will perform a full reset.

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the firmware. If you aren't sure how to do that, post back in the forums after you try my first recommendations.

Jamie

It sounds like you're getting no response when you try to power on--as if the batteries were dead, right? (Correct me if I'm wrong).

If so...a fresh set of known good batteries is an obvious first intervention. If you're still getting no response, you may be suffering from a common design flaw in Meridians with battery spring contacts to the motherboard. You could verify that if you have a power cord to try to see if external power brings it up.

There's a pdf file for repair instructions in the Yahoo Meridian Users group. The repair (an easy one) requires opening the case, so you would void any remaining waranty.

Along Jamie's line of troubleshooting, make sure you are holding the power button down for a good 4-5 seconds. A quick punch may not do anything.

It sounds like you're getting no response when you try to power on--as if the batteries were dead, right? (Correct me if I'm wrong)..

Ah... perhaps you are right. The OP is a little ambiguous, stating simply "it would not connect. No nothing." Unfortunately, that isn't very descriptive.

Shadow, can you explain what the trouble is, without making us guess?

Jamie

Sorry,

No the batteries are brand new

It will not comunicate or connect with the satellites. Waited for a good 25 min. for it to do so. It will come up with everything but the longitude and latitude, cumpass are off also. It is still under warrenty so I took it back to Radio shack and they have sent it off.

Just started thinking what might have caused this and was it a easy fix here at home.

Have not travled far off with it in over a year. Just local cashes.

I had used it the week before and had no problems with it then just boom it stopped.

Instead of clearing the memory, why not do 'Menu' 'Setup' 'Initialize'? This allows you to enter your coordinates (or city/state) and time, which results in a faster sat lock.

You do have the coords to your house, right? :blink:

I tried this, it did not help... I found clearing the memory and starting clean worked best... Just went through this again today. However, one wonders...what is going on...is it simply the alamanac is "outdated", or more...I do not know...