A Non-geocaching Puzzle....

rutson

Look at the puzzle closely. Pengy and tigger seem to be on the right track. The wiggly line. Is it wiggly deliberatly or does it follow the path of something. mm let me think. Any more clues.

Oh, by the way, I don't have anything to do with this treasure hunt. Just seemed logical to me. Bit too far to go though to find a 1oz gold bar.

its a building on a 'yellow' road on an OS map, my guess is its a local road feature than looks like a 7 with a building on the corner, the line and arrow look footpath ish... in fact the whole thing is done in OS colours.

Using Pengy and Tiggers insight, I took it to mean that the town (or nearby location) was Upon Severn (geddit) but could not find any likely suspects which were anything like Lucky or derivations thereof. I also think that the full stops between the letters are significant, and may spell something out which is an even bigger clue.

My brain hurts!

I am not going anywhere in that sort of area, but it would be cool if a geocache4r found it (and got a round in!!)

I think the Severn idea is way too blantant, and may just be a road feature.

The wavy line is interesting, since if we follow the idea that its an OS based clue, then I can think of no example of a wavy black line.

the line could be river course, coastline, contour has been suggested.... for all I know it could be a drunken ant!

The telephone box in Dunsop Bridge is the centre, supposedly.

Some people reckon the centre as the point furthest from the sea, which gets nicely round the debate of Scottish Islands, Northern Ireland etc. If this is the case it is thought to be at -

It could be argued the centre of Britain is the furthest point from the sea.

The Ordnance Survey says this point lies just east of Church Flatts Farm, about a mile south-east of Coton in the Elms, Derbyshire.

Have a look at Multimap Here.

There is a familiar feature just east of the farm. Do we have a geocacher nearby?

Edited to add

And there is a cache here, The cache furthest from the sea . So a better reason for checking it out.

Edited by Wuthered

We know the vicinity, and we know the road and the contour line, but we still don't know where to dig.

The contour line through the farm points to the spot. But so does the red dotted line. Is it a footpath? The contour line, if followed, crosses a footpath, and coincidentally or not a river meets or almost meets at the same spot, a little over a kilometer east of the farm. Do we dig there?

Or do we dig where the contour line crosses the road? If so, what is the significance of the dotted red line?

And what is the line of diamonds? There are no national trails on multimap or streetmap in that area (if at all on those sites). Does anyone have a recent OS map of the area?

Also, we're digging for something quite small. Even a foot out and we'd miss it. Either there's some sort of marker on the ground, or we're missing some other clue in the image.

Afterthought: could the diamonds represent a marked pipeline on the ground? Dig beside a marker at the spot?

Edit: And do the L and the Y have some significance?

Edited by Bill D (wwh)

Afterthought:  could the diamonds represent a marked pipeline on the ground?  Dig beside a marker at the spot?

Aren't gas pipelines marked by those fluorescent orange markers on posts which can be seen from the air by helicopter? It would be interesting to find out if there are any in the vicinity.

We know the vicinity, and we know the road and the contour line, but we still don't know where to dig.

Sitting here in my armchair my read on it is - The treasure is at the junction of the track and the road. There are no contours invloved in it - just a wiggly line showing where the centre should be on the OS map. And the diamonds are fiducials - which appear on some text layout programs to assist in registering the positions of the letters. Go for it.

Well frankly I wish the best of luck to whoever finds it, personally Im not up to a 2 hr drive now, else I would be on the road already.

If anyone who does retrieve it feels that my contribution is worthy of a share then I will nominate a charity to send it to, or agree a charity with others.

I would love to think that after the team effort we have put in here that someone does retrieve it, I waoul hate to think that someone has been watching this thread and just dashed off to reap the rewards

Well frankly I wish the best of luck to whoever finds it, personally Im not up to a 2 hr drive now, else I would be on the road already.

If anyone who does retrieve it feels that my contribution is worthy of a share then I will nominate a charity to send it to, or agree a charity with others.

I would love to think that after the team effort we have put in here that someone does retrieve it, I waoul hate to think that someone has been watching this thread and just dashed off to reap the rewards

Good thinking that person!

I can think of a charity close to the hearts of many geocachers that could benefit. This way there would be no arguments :(:D

If that's too subtle then think of a very big wave!

I was convinced by the idea of the 7 being an OS construction. It all fits for me. Too far I am afraid - so the best of luck for anyone who can get there! I like the idea of the prize being donated to one of the major players in the big wave saga.

I see that further up the path there is a very wavy 100 metre contour line that looks a little like the one in the clue stretched out. I hope it is simpler than finding where the path crosses the contour!

What happened next ???????

Having come to this thread on Sat morning, I read :ph34r: with mounting excitement as the riddles were solved :huh: and the cachers closed in on the prize :( all through Fri evening. And then ... nothing.

I now feel like when you set the video to tape a film. You settle down to watch it the next day, are really enjoying it, only to find out that the tape ran out five minutes before the climax. Who can you call who knows the ending? Did they find the treasure, and are now nursing hangovers in a nearby hotel? Are there now 10,000 holes (and counting) along the footpath amid a growing crowd of spade-wielding maniacs? Please someone, put me out of my misery!!!

My only helpful idea is to point out that "fiducials" are also markers used in other practices, including surveying, to mark reference points. So is there something like a milepost on the roadside where it meets the path? There doesn't seem to be a trig point anywhere nearby, which would have been neat. (Not that I'm suggesting digging it up and moving it a few feet sideways to look for gold...)

I think the purpose of the "fiducials" is simply to say that the treasure is at "the furthest point (i.e. fiducial) from the "C"". Which is why the rightmost one is slightly separated from the others.

I guess it would be worth asking the puzzle setter whether anyone has claimed the prize: also mentioning the spot and checking whether or not a metal detetor will be necessary.

HH.