Caching With Boy Scouts

skyraider

I have a friend that is the local scoutmaster and he asked me to give a presentation to the troop about Geocaching and take them out on a field trip to find their first cache. Anyone been involved with scouting? How do we log their finds? Does the troop pick a name, or does each scout choose his own name and we end up with 25 new log ins for each find? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

SKYRAIDER

I don't have much experience in scouting per se, but what youre going to do, sounds like a geocaching demonstration. I recommend that everyone signs their names on the physical log book once the cache is found. Do mention the demonstration too, of course. Then, you log your own find in the cachepage (or note, if you've already found it before), where you tell again about the demonstration. You can also mention everyone's names on the log.

If some individuals in the scouting group catch the fire of geocaching, they can of course create an account in GC.com too, and sign the log personally too, and thus start their own geocaching career.

I have every now and then taken geomuggle friends caching with me, and I just mention them in my logs. Only one of them has later become a geocacher, and he has signed his finds later on.

Yeah each kid could add their signature (first name only perhaps) into the same log entry at the cache would be a good solution.

Has the cache already been identified? How big is it, and what would they like to do for swag swapping? 25 hotwheels cars in a cache would take up a lot of room :D

You log your name only, there are youth protection standards that apply to internet postings. You put your name with Troop #. If any of the Scouts later become interested they sign up on their own. There are also parameters as to where they can go. No mines, no caves, must have two deep leadership. etc. etc.

Yep - I've got Pack13 as an account and that's how we do it. Log as a Pack/Troop and if they want their own account, they can do it themselves. There's a hefty PDF online about what Scouts can and can't do, but as long as there's always 2 adults in the presence of the scouts (no one wanders off with a scout to check ahead on the trail) any regular cache would be pretty much OK.

The Scoutmaster will know all about where they can and cannot go. I'd also suggest getting up on your orienteering skills. Remember that caches don't REQUIRE a GPS to find them. Someone with good enough skills and a good map and good compass can find a particular spot on the planet without a GPS. The scouts will probably be good at that already.

I started doing a GPS presentation at the local Boy Scout camp last summer as part of the Orienteering Badge. Most of the boys had little knowledge of GPS units, but many were proficient with a map and compass. I think it is important to ADD knowledge of new ways without REPLACING traditional methods.

A bit off topic, I think it is sad how far things have had to come regarding rules and requirements for the Scouts (and Scoutmasters). When I was a Scout many years ago, it was much more carefree.

I think it's a great idea to get your scout unit involved in the experience of Geocaching. As all GC'ers know, it's not the "find" but the adventure of getting there. GC'g will take them to places they never knew existed. We take the time to teach our scouts how to use a compass correctly and how to read a map, but few actually use those skills outside of scouting.

Adding a GPSr to their orienteering training will make it more fun and interesting. Mix in the GC'g treasure hunt and you've got them hooked.

The BSA has recently recognized how important it is for scouts to learn about and utilize GPS technology. It has now become part of the newly revamped Junior Leadership Training Conference (now called National Youth Leadership Training).

Does your council have camping properties? You could create your own "closed" Geocache hides around camp (with the Ranger's permission, of course). Each scout would have the opportunity to log in their own "find" experience. Most importantly, it would solve many "Youth Protection" concerns as these GC's would not be posted on the internet.

I am a Cub Scout leader and when I take my group out the boys know the deal with trades (trade up, even, or don't), and I sign the log for the group and log online as the group. In most cases these are caches that I have done already so I have no need to log it individually. If we were in a new location, I would log under my account and the group account.

The Commissar!