Homemade Gps Bags?

ohgr

My girlfriend and I are thinking about making some GPSr bags to drop in caches, and I was wondering about a couple things.

Drawstring or Snaps?

Belt-Loop or not?

Any favorite geocacher colors for such an item?

Would you actually use something like this?

This is my first attempt, it came out a little small for my legend, we're going to design them so a Magellan Meri-Gold will fit in it.

gpsbag.jpg

Thanks for any input.

Ohgr

Here's some pics of a homemade case for a MeriGold. Made of lightweight stretch denim with a loop of nylon on the back so various lanyards clips can be attached. Velcro opening. c375d0e2-c2e4-47e0-89c0-9d3b5e1be8a9.jpg

f3601fb2-f189-4254-a07b-4b89e31d6c36.jpg

I hadn't thought of making these as cache goodies - could be done though. Isonzo caching with a 60C, a bit easier to tailor a case for that guy.

My girlfriend and I are thinking about making some GPSr bags to drop in caches, and I was wondering about a couple things. ...

I would keep them exactly as that one is.

I have a small drawstring pouch in my pack that I use for storing very small tradables (keychains, coins, small buttons, etc). I would defintely snatch your bag out of a cache to use for this purpose.

nice idea - nice swag prize - would be nice for FTF too.

now - I have another little project - does anyone know where I can purchase the knit cloth backed neoprene used in most of the gps type cases?

I don't need a lot and I don't want the thick stuff like wet suits and mouse pads. Thin is ok - I just need that rubberized feel.

If someone has something else that is stretchy and has that rubbery feel on one side, my project does not require 'neoprene'.

Any ideas or sources?

The Lowrance IFinder series comes with a clear waterproof bag that has a adjustable laynard. Sorry, I do not have a pic of mine, but its really a smart extra.

Your bags are cool. There are many uses for something like that.

Salvelinus

I find it kind of funny that a company that say's there gps is " totally waterproof " would include a clear waterproof bag with there gps. :tired:

Not sure if I would take the bag if I found it in a cache, they are preaty cool looking.

Nice idea! I like it!

I would go with the drawstring, and a beltloop would be good but not necessary. Color is good (stick to darker colors), and I would definitely trade for one. Would be great to store extra batteries, trinkets, etc, while on the hunt (hence the belt loop), and good to store the gpsr after the day when its not in use. Just be sure its nice and soft inside.

Good luck!

Eric

not to be a buzz kill, but eTrex makes pouches just like that. but they arent homemade...

Yes, But mine is FREE. And I'll be making them a little larger than the one shown so other brands of GPSr's will fit in them. Also able to hold Jellybeans, gold coins, small furry critters etc....

Thanks for all the input Guys and Girls..

Ohgr

Yes,  But mine is FREE.  And I'll be making them a little larger than the one shown so other brands of GPSr's will fit in them. 

Like these?

28_14.jpg

We've placed about a hundred in caches and people seem to pick them up pretty quick. The camo bags are the most popular.

Nice job,

We haven't found anything really cool in a cache yet, so we figured we'd try to leave better things in caches than what was in there when we got there. and little bags seemed like an easy to make, usefull item.

Ohgr

The Lowrance IFinder series comes with a clear waterproof bag that has a adjustable laynard.  Sorry, I do not have a pic of mine, but its really a smart extra.

Your bags are cool.  There are many uses for something like that.

Salvelinus

I find it kind of funny that a company that say's there gps is " totally waterproof " would include a clear waterproof bag with there gps. :tired:

Don't laugh too hard. ;) The term "series" is an error, imho.

The Basic iFinder and iFinder Pro are water resistant (IPX2), not waterproof (IPX7), and do come with a pouch.

However all other current iFinders (H2O, Hunt, etc.) are waterproof and do not come with a pouch.