Let's Talk Geocaching

If you were a muggle (I know it may be hard to think in these terms), and your friend, who happened to be a geocacher, decided to teach you the game, what would you think?

Not knowing what you know today, would you believe him to be crazy; would you regard him as an inspiration; would you disregard him? :D

If you were a muggle (I know it may be hard to think in these terms), and your friend, who happened to be a geocacher, decided to teach you the game, what would you think?

Not knowing what you know today, would you believe him to be crazy; would you regard him as an inspiration; would you disregard him? :D

We speaking from a personal story here? :D

I would tell them about it and direct them to the webpage, and then offer to take them out one day to see first hand what it is like

Who changes the batteries in the ammo box transmitter?

That was me two months ago! I was visiting family and my brother pops up and says, "Let's go geocaching." He had just heard about it himself a day or two earlier. He described it, I said, "Let's go," and we did.

We had no GPS, just descriptions and aerial photos. We found 3 of the 4 we went to look for, and later found out that the 4th had been washed away.

I came home, researched GPS's, ordered mine, and the rest is history (or will be, someday).

It's your iron birds and your picture boxes with magic cavepaintings that freak me out the most.

Yes. But it's our iron birds and picture boxes with magic cavepaintings that have enriched our lives and shown us the way to many geocaches.

This we believe to be the way.

Who are you, strange UnfrozenCavemanGeocacher? :D:D

I don't know... everyone I've told about Geocaching thought it was cool, if that's what you mean.

Well, I can't claim EVERYone I've talked to about geocaching thought it was cool...a couple thought it was kinda silly...but they're mostly older folks! ;) The few that I've actually taken with us had a great time, and I know there's some "need-to-buy" lists with GPSr near the top now.

I was told about geocaching by someone that hadn't done a cache but was thinking about getting a GPSr and so I checked it out. I think it depends upon the kind of person you all. Some people like GOLF, go figure chasing a ball around a field wacking it with a stick, Kind of like looking for tupperware in the woods. But most the golfers I know think geocaching is silly but then I think golf is silly. So I think it depends upon the kind of person you are.

cheers

Most people just think that I'm insane.

Members of my family have pretended to be interested and even enjoyed it when we went to find some, but have never actually gone out without me; even though I bought them GPSrs.

A few friends have taken up the hobby.

Strangely, a couple of people have not taken it up, but will occasionally call me to tell me that there is an article on it in the newspaper. One family member gave me a ready-to-hide cache for Christmas.

My old circle of friends (military) were very tech minded and think things like this are cool.

The area I moved to after retiring is, shall we say...a bit backward. These people think that computers are evil and cell phones melt your brain. (I really think they are worried people will invade their "herb" gardens!)

My experience has been gender-oriented. Note: This is in my circle of friends, this is not meant to start a side bar "geocaching gender" thread.

Anyway, the wife and her best friend both said: "So, you walk around in the woods looking for a tupperware container to trade a McDonald's toy?" Well, when you put it that way..... Can't convince them that its the hunt that's important, not the catch (or cache)

The husband said "let's go find one....NOW!"

Edited by teepeeayy

When I first read about Geocaching back in Jan 2002 - my first thought was - "yea right, like anybody would really do that". Second thought was - "I'll bet there isn't one within 200 miles of here." Third thought was "just why DID I buy that GPS??"

About 20 minutes later I was pulling a coffee can out of a pile of leaves 1.2 miles away.........

Edited by StarBrand
My experience has been gender-oriented. Note: This is in my circle of friends, this is not meant to start a side bar "geocaching gender" thread.

Anyway, the wife and her best friend both said: "So, you walk around in the woods looking for a tupperware container to trade a McDonald's toy?" Well, when you put it that way..... Can't convince them that its the hunt that's important, not the catch (or cache)

The husband said "let's go find one....NOW!"

Interesting! That's just the opposite of what I experienced with a neighbor. HE thinks it is just stupid! ;)

On the other hand, my best friend, a mother of four, grandmother of six, thinks it is great fun and is ready to accompany me on my next day-long hunt. :(

When I first learned about Geocaching, I told a friend about it. I thought he and his wife and little girl would enjoy the activity.

I never thought I would enjoy the activity all by myself! Silly me . . . :(

Not knowing what you know today, would you believe him to be crazy; would you regard him as an inspiration; would you disregard him? :(

I'd say, "Can I do it naked!

He'd reply, "No, someone already beat you to it. But I'll still teach you, if you promise to keep your clothes on!!! ;):(

I have seen the "Muggle" reference before. Who does it refer to, exactly? Any non-Geocacher or someone who pilfers the caches?

Just verifying the meaning of the term.

If I am going to use it in conversations, I would at least like to know the correct context.

Thanks

As I understand it, the term comes from the Harry Potter books where a "muggle" is someone who doesn't understand their wizard abilities (forgive me if I've got that wrong . . . I haven't read the books myself).

I think "muggle" refers to any person who doesn't know about Geocaching.

Someone who pilfers the caches is a . . . . er, vandal. :tired:

I have seen the "Muggle" reference before. Who does it refer to, exactly? Any non-Geocacher or someone who pilfers the caches?

Just verifying the meaning of the term.

If I am going to use it in conversations, I would at least like to know the correct context.

Thanks

See the Geolex. Although "muggled", the verb, is used to denote a vandalized cache, "muggle", the noun, just means someone who isn't aware of the activity. It's a reference from Harry Potter - the muggles were those not in on the magic!

One thing I would note -- and I am not sure if it has already been discussed -- is that when describing the game to some folks, you might want to judge thier reaction to the concept in figuring out whether to continue the discussion.

I recently had a lengthy discussion with someone -- at a local establishment where I hang out after work -- who was very interested in the hobby. I won't go into details regarding his reaction to the concept, however, I was inclined not to promote the hobby to him because of his attitude and some of the things he said he was going to do with it. He was very interested in the hobby however, he was saying some bad things. ( I won't go into detail) He was an A--hole about it and I just didn't want to introduce him to my "and your" world. It kinda freaked my wife and myself out.

It might be wise to consider who you are introducing this game to. It is still a pretty obscure hobby. Might as well be picky when we are able. No matter how hard we try, some muggles are just not going to understand the concept.

Bad for the hobby, I think.

The term gets used as a noun to describe anybody who isn't aware of geocaching, or doesn't actively participate the way we do. It also frequently gets used as a verb if somebody outside the game messes with a cache ("my cache got muggled").

Not everybody likes, or uses the word. I think it comes from some Harry Potter reference to "non-believers" or something. There have been some interesting topics in the forums about the use of this word. If I wasn't so tired, I'd look up a few for you.

:tired: The word must never be spoken out loud! Don't use it in conversations except here in the forums or you'll break the game!!

I'm kidding about the "never spoken out loud" thing! ;)

Not knowing what you know today, would you believe him to be crazy; would you regard him as an inspiration; would you disregard him?

INSPIRATION! ;)

Because I would be speaking with a like minded-spirit.

Caching is our 6th sense; we should know whom to introduce to this sport & whom not to.

For example: I have NOT wasted my time explaining to a friend who spends all her free time shopping at the mall. getting her nails done, and buying the latest perfume. :tired: But I HAVE explained to a friend who owns a pop-up camper. ;)

Not everybody likes, or uses the word. I think it comes from some Harry Potter reference to "non-believers" or something. There have been some interesting topics in the forums about the use of this word. If I wasn't so tired, I'd look up a few for you.

Actually, in Harry Potter, it means any non-magical person, so it's pretty well suited, I think :tired:

One thing I would note -- and I am not sure if it has already been discussed -- is that when describing the game to some folks, you might want to judge thier reaction to the concept in figuring out whether to continue the discussion. 

I recently had a lengthy discussion with someone -- at a local establishment where I hang out after work -- who was very interested in the hobby.  I won't go into details regarding his reaction to the concept, however, I was inclined not to promote the hobby to him because of his attitude and some of the things he said he was going to do with it.  He was very interested in the hobby however, he was saying some bad things. ( I won't go into detail)  He was an A--hole about it and I just didn't want to introduce him to my "and your" world.  It kinda freaked my wife and myself out.

It might be wise to consider who you are introducing this game to.  It is still a pretty obscure hobby.  Might as well be picky when we are able.  No matter how hard we try, some muggles are just  not going to understand the concept.

Bad for the hobby, I think.

This is a good point. Because of my tendency to to talk a lot about geocaching, I have found myself in similiar situations.

Sometimes I attempt to steer or lead those types to more realistic approaches to the game. Occassioinally, I find myself pointing out that it (the game) really takes a lot of time and costs a lot of money. :anibad::anibad:

I saw an article for geocaching in a magazine and wonder what it was all about. I already had an gps unit for camping and decided to find out what it is all about. Found my first cache and now im hooked. Now i am always looking for caches site on my days off, cant wait to be out

this was exactly my case. one of my employees had told me about it one day i kinda blew her off and didn't think anything about it. she kept talking about so i decided to check it. she told me about the site and the ones around my area. i looked them and and started playing with the gps. I though it was pretty cool. i borrowed her gps then boutgh my own, i have been hooked ever since. B)<_<