Geocoin Sizes

vds

I've been concentrating recently on collecting geocoins from countries and US/Canada states and provinces, and have also been looking into making a buy of Air-Tite cases to hold the coins, but didn't know the sizes. I picked up a micrometer at Sears to measure the coins and thought I'd post the sizes I measured, in case others are wondering what size cases to buy (like I was). Here goes....

40 mm = WA 2004, WestTN 2004, AL 2004, MI 2005, NC 2005

38+ mm = USA 2005

38 mm = OR 2004, PA 2004, Canada 2004

38- mm = CA 2004

37.5 mm = TX 2005, GA 2005

Also, we have the hexagonal ID 2005, which is a toughie:

Diameter = 44 mm point-to-point, Thickness = 5mm or slightly thinner

I'd very much like to post Missouri and Kentucky sizes too, but some nice person would need to trade/sell me them :grin:

Thanks for the resource on coin diameters, nice to have it in one place.

Also something to keep in mind is coin thickness, especially with epoxy options.

I just got some Air-tite X# and Y# series that hold the thicker geocoins, military coins and poker chips quite nicely.

Edited by MRCOGEO
I thought geocoins are meant to be moved around, not collected... ;)

It's a good question to keep alive for the newbies that are starting. But again it depends on the owner's wishes, some are meant to travel (a tag attached explaining this wish goes a long way) and some being bought are used for FTF prizes and trading treasures.

When finding a coin out in the field it was mentioned to assume its a traveler and then contact owner if wanting to keep it, I like that thought!

Show's you what thought did. :(:(

Edited by MRCOGEO

Update - after measuring my coins, I put together an order for AirTite cases, mounting cards, and plastic storage boxes with JP's Corner via the web.

I put in my order Tuesday night, and got the goodies Friday in the mail. Excellent service. Everything obviously packed with great care so it got here safe and sound.

Got Air-Tite I-38mm and I-40mm capsules ($0.49 ea), plus X-40mm cases ($0.70 ea) for the thick coins (WA 04 and ID 05). Had to do a little forcing the ring around the hexagonal ID coin but it wound up ok. Plastic storage box that holds 20 coins, including 20 cards for the I-series capsules, were $7.50 each.

So excluding the $6.00 priority mail shipping, the cost to protect/display a normal thickness coins runs about $0.80 each including Air-Tite, mounting card, and that card's percentage of the storage box. For the thicker coin, $1.00 each. Not bad.

Pretty sweet deal especially when you consider that if you order the same 49-cent case when you buy a USA geocoin, they charge you $2.50 (ugh!) for it.

I've been concentrating recently on collecting geocoins from countries and US/Canada states and provinces, and have also been looking into making a buy of Air-Tite cases to hold the coins, but didn't know the sizes. I picked up a micrometer at Sears to measure the coins and thought I'd post the sizes I measured, in case others are wondering what size cases to buy (like I was). Here goes....

40 mm = WA 2004, WestTN 2004, AL 2004, MI 2005, NC 2005

38+ mm = USA 2005

38 mm = OR 2004, PA 2004, Canada 2004

38- mm = CA 2004

Also, we have the hexagonal ID 2005, which is a toughie:

Diameter = 44 mm point-to-point, Thickness = 5mm or slightly thinner

I'd very much like to post Missouri and Kentucky sizes too, but some nice person would need to trade/sell me them :unsure:

update - Calgary is 38mm too for Air-Tites...

Would you like me to measure the Ky and Mo coins for you? Or, if you have a good trade for me, I can send you a Mo coin!

Another place for air-tite cases on ebay (this is always available):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...403007&tc=photo

They are .40 each.

AirTites shipping:

buy 1-25 $3.50s/h

buy 26-50 $4.50s/h

buy 51-100 $7.00s/h

buy 101+ $10.00s/h

Edited by thefabfive

So much for things being bigger in Texas! :lol:

German Geocoin: 50mm :lol:

no further comment, I leave that to you...

Wow !!!! I got my German geocoin today (great having a friend in Frankfurt who was coming into town today) and that puppy is huge.

Doubtful I'll find an air-tite for it due to size, especially with the appendage to hang it from, maybe I'll make it a Christmas tree ornament :lol:

Edited by vds