Gizmondo Launch In The Uk

Jeremy

Looks like it uses Pocket PC 2003 (or WinCE). So, yes, it should be compatible with all sorts of mapping software!

IMHO, I reckon it'll be a jack of all trades, master of none, type portable. It says it's an MP3 player, but has no internal storage (you have to fork out for a big SD card). It's a 400Mhz processor, which is good, but not groundbreaking (although it does say it has some graphics co-processor whatever that is!) so it's gaming capabilities aren't likely to blow anyone away. And if it's got SMS/MMS capabilities, why not give it a phone too??

"Cynical Rich" they call me! But I did once buy an Atari Lynx, and look how well that did!! Once bitten, twice shy eh?

Edited by Jumbo Village

Hardware and capabilities alone are not enough to make a succesiful handheld device, the classic example is the Gameboy, in its original form it lasted as a top end hand held long after technology had far outstripped its cababilities, indeed even its later evolutions were technologically behind the times, but bizarrely it remained popular. even through the Atari Lynx, the Sega wozname which in many respects were ahead of the game on specs, but as an overall package was lacking.

Handhelds need to capture the imagination of their market, primarily kids, and this requires the backing of good game houses in depth.... Nintendo 64 is an example of getting this wrong when despite every other competitor using DVD drives, the 64 remained cart based.. cosequence, may of their supporting game housed moved to Sony... and then, when Nintendo release the Gamecube, do they learn??? no, they use mini CD as their format of choice!!!

Now, as for a built in GPS..... WHY??? (other than it was probably a cheap feature to cram in there)

I'm not much of a mobile gamer (I own a GameBoy color, and one game for it. Proof if proof were needed) but I am a gadget freak, so I just bought myself one of these. BNI Joycoder. It's a 40Gb HDD, USB2, 3.5" full-colour TFT screen, MP3 playing, MP4 personal video recorder/player and stores and shows .jpgs too. Built-in voice recorder...remote control...carry case...vewing stand... Beast of a thingy! Who needs games when you can have Bill Bailey any time, any where? Um. So to speak. :D

SP

P.S. It's £159.99 at ebuyer.co.uk, £299.99 at Amazon.co.uk. Makes you think, doesn't it?

There have been rumors that both the Nintendo DS and PlayStation PSP will have GPS attachments, though the costs seem like they'll be in the same range as a separate handheld. Thanks everyone for the feedback. It is nice to see someone else in the handheld market to, at the very minimum, make some waves.