Ingeo 2005 Spring Picnic

RPW

Is anyone planning on hosting a 2005 InGeo spring picnic? Should we even have one with the Midwest Geobash being held in NW Ohio during June? Traditionally -- "tradition" being all of 2 years -- the InGeo spring picnic is held in the north part of the state while the fall picnic is held in the south part. However there is no reason to hold onto this pattern. Geoist from Ft. Wayne told me that they are not planning to host this year (they did so in 2004) because of the midwest geobash. Any other opinons on the subject?

:( Gary and Mary Adventurers and the Happy Hikers were hosts of the 2003 Picnic, allong with Southface and Mike & Ann. The Hikers and Adventurers have discussed it a bit, and have been tossing around the idea of hosting one this year too. We have been thinking of using Bonneyville Mill County Park near Bristol Indiana (right up by the state line in the center of the state). There is no camping at the park, but there some nearby private campgrounds (Eby's Pines and a KOA to name a couple).

If there is enough interest we will start working on it.

Post a note here if you think you could make it to a picnic there in the last half of May. ;)

Thanks for the Adventurers

Gary and Mary

:tired: Gary and Mary Adventurers and the Happy Hikers were hosts of the 2003 Picnic, allong with Southface and Mike & Ann. The Hikers and Adventurers have discussed it a bit, and have been tossing around the idea of hosting one this year too. We have been thinking of using Bonneyville Mill County Park near Bristol Indiana (right up by the state line in the center of the state). There is no camping at the park, but there some nearby private campgrounds (Eby's Pines and a KOA to name a couple).

If there is enough interest we will start working on it.

Post a note here if you think you could make it to a picnic there in the last half of May. ;)

Gary and Mary

Very interested here and BonneyVille Mills is a fantastic park ! If you look up Pioneer Boy I am sure he would be able to help assist as he is also a Park volenteer there . We met him a few years back when he held a small event ... See :

BonneyVille Mill Celebration

Hope this happens and this helps a little !

Star

RPW contacted me this week to see if I would be interested in helping host a spring picnic. I agreed and have since contacted the staff at France Park in Cass county, near Logansport. This is located near the center of the state about 1 hour North of Indianapolis. We have set up a meeting with the Park Superintendent for next Tuesday to go over details. We should have a answer then, be it yes or no. France Park is a wonderful county park that has a nice trail system along with a abandoned rock quarrey. If anyone is interested please take a look at their website at www.francepark.com

They have on site camping if anyone is interested. We were looking at the weekend of Saturday May 21th as our first choice or Saturday May 14th as a second choice.

Again, we should know by Tuesday if this is possiable at the park or not.

Thanks, Chris-Team Shydog

Ah the wonders of a decentralized organization -- if we can even call InGeo organized. :tired:

So it appears that we will have a spring picnic in May. Hurrah!

Now to decide where and whom will host. France park has the advantage of being more-or-less in the east-west middle of the state and not too far north. There is camping (we can probably have our own private spot), mountain bike trails, disk golf, swimming, scuba diving, and lots of trails through the 500+ acres. As Kid Crazy once put it, France park is the "hidden gem of the wabash." Since is not a state park it generally does not appear on maps and it also charges a seperate admission ($1.50/person) from our normal Indiana state park passes. When I wrote to IndyDiver and Deermark a couple days before I made this forum both them thought that France park would be good. IndyDiver has fond memories of scuba diving in the park years ago and, of course being from the southern part of the state, Deermark would prefer something close although I think he and Daggy would go anywhere in order to geocache. ;) The Kid loves the park but due to work can not sponser an event.

The park does not currently have any geocaches -- this is a story best told by "persona non gratia" Chris -- however we are hopeful that the new management will be receptive to caching. They certainly were interested in hosting a picnic. Chris and I will find out more this upcoming Tuesday - March 29.

All that being said, Bonnyville SP is also very nice and certainly Mary & Gary put on good events. I still remember the bitter cold wind of the 2003 spring picnic being tempered by their generosity and inventiveness.

I will get hold of Mary & Gary via email or phone and see if we can figure out who should host and where.

-- Rick

PS to Bjorn: You are right, the midwest geobash in July should not intefere with an InGeo spring picnic in May.

We really enjoyed hosting the 2003 picnic at Potato Creek, and would have been willing to take on another one this year if no one else came forward. RPW and Shydog seem to have started a process, and have suggested another interesting site in the northern third of the state. RPW has contacted us and we would be glad to work with them, and lend whatever help we can in this effort.

Lets hope that France park is receptive to this event, and start going ahead planning to have another great get together with all our friends (and new friends).

Gary and Mary :anibad:

Hey only one more week until the spring picnic. Chris [shydog] wrote to me:

I have been over to France Park a few times setting up the cache courses. The park is green and beautiful. The week after we were there with you they burned some of the prairies and they are now coming back in to bloom.

[in regards to a permanent event cache the park manager] said I would have to go in front of the Parks board to get that approved and they do not have another meeting until June. So I don't think we will be able to leave a cache there at this time. I will put together a presentation and do that in the near future.

There will be a chance to log a total of 11 caches + 4 kids caches that day. I also have a couple regular caches in the area near by. I think that will be enough caches for everyone.

[Team shydog] are taking Friday the 20th off to go over and clean/ straighten up the shelter. We plan on being back on Saturday morning around 7:30 or 8am to set up. We should have 7 people to help us that day. 

Chris didn't mention the night cache on Friday since I am the one in charge of this. Unfortunately I don't have it set up yet but will do so soon. Sunset is right around 8:00. We will meet at 7:30 P.M. at the soon-to-be-designated-on-the-cache-page location.

The long range forecast for Saturday May 21st is 75°/56° with a 20% chance of humidity. In order words: perfect. However this being Indiana my forecast is snow flurries on Friday and 100 degree weather on Saturday. :P

I hope to see all you there. It will be a fun time.

Nix the night cache. Sorry, but time pressures -- also known as "real life" (a.k.a. "THE JOB") -- are getting to be too much for me to find the to set up a good cache. So we won't have one. Sorry! Chris is going to use this opportunity to put out some "live" day caches in the area of the park I was going to use for the night caches. I will be out there camping on Friday. The gate people should be able to -- we hope -- direct all of us to the same camping area. See you at the event.