Testing The Waters...

Puppers

Having read that the Leakin' Lena may be sunk (or at least permanently retired to dry dock, sorry Wienerdog!) we're thinking we may have the only reliable transportation to this Elusive Island in Lake Ballinger. If there are enough interested explorers, we might volunteer to haul our canoe over on a Saturday and let multiple parties share in this adventure. Please advise if there is an interest and if so, we'll do our best to pull together the logistics. Although be forewarned, we will not be responsible for any DNF's!! :)

Edited by Puppers

I was thinking about this cache just the other day thinking that it would be fun to do just what you have suggested. Of course it would be easier for me if I actually had a boat of some kind. But since you asked first I would definatly be interested in such an adventure. :)

Oh, boy! I've been wanting to get out there for nearly a year. I didn't know about Lena. I dug around and found my old inflatable boat late last summer, but it has lots of leaks. :grin: I don't think I'm in good enough shape to swim out there, but perhaps with a innertube.... On the other hand, the boat would be nicer. :(

Sounds great - though no doubt not nearly so exhilarating as seemed the last voyage of the dear ol' LL. Then again...

I'd be happy to supply the vittles for Frito Pies (along with a gaggle of pirate eye-patches) - if someone can provide a Coleman to heat the chili...

Question is - which particular Saturday are we considering here?

Oh the sea is so big and my ship is so small! The last crew of the Lena is seen here on the last leg of the final voyage, loaded down with plunder and tall sea tales to pass on to their grandchildren! And as for the Puppers canoe and Lucyandrickie’s Jolly Rancher, well, the Lena is like comparing the old Narcissus, that Tugboat Annie captained with Wallace Berry, to a Carnival Cruise Lines fun ship! Hey, sign me up! Arrrrg!

a1c04924-9839-48f8-b03e-a882cd3831d7.jpg

Edited by Wienerdog

OK, it looks like there's enough interest to make it an Event. And if no one shows up, well, we'll toast marshmellows over our Coleman instead of Frito Pies :D We'll pick a date and time in the next couple of months to allow folks to plan and (hopefully) ensure good weather. Get working on those paddle-worthy arm muscles!

Edited by Puppers

I've had my eye on these caches for quite awhile, too. I'd be happy to bring down my 12-foot fibreglass dinghy that can comfortably take four people by oar (or electric trolling motor or outboard motor :D ) I can also bring one of my kayaks down if someone wants to go across solo!

Great idea, Puppers :D

Since I live only 3.5 miles from the lake I get out to these caches quite a bit. In fact most summer days around sunset I enjoy a swim out to the island and back. I'd be happy to bring along my inflatable Seahawk 440 for someone to use (seats 2). I've got a 12V electric pump to inflate it with. Should be alot of fun to watch the fleet sail!

seahawk.jpg

BTW you definitely can access both caches from one landing site year round but it involves crawling on your knees for about 25 feet midway.

BTW you definitely can access both caches from one landing site year round but it involves crawling on your knees for about 25 feet midway.

As you are crawling around, just remember there is a reason they call it Goose Island!

I'm up for this one too. I have an assortment of floating apparatus. Float tube, canoe, 12 ft. cartopper, several rubber rafts, pontoon boat and a new 22 oz. backpacking raft on the way. Wow, we could line them all up and walk over!.....B)

Edited by GeoRoo
I think I'm a little on the large side for a canoe...how about a Zodiak?    :unsure:

I have 3 canoes available including a 18 footer that will haul 800 lbs. I think we can squeeze ya in. If I have the day off I'll bring a couple canoes up and join the fun. Also have a 15hp 14 ft boat to toss in the mix if needed.

Edited by CENT5

I have a 12' rowboat with 12v electric that will probably handle 3 + the captain, or 2 + if there are some extra weight issues. I also have a canoe that will handle 3... Unfortunately, I don't have enough life jackets for both boats. And the row boat is on a trailer, ready to go and I live about 2 miles away.

When could we get this scheduled? I am open to most any weekend coming up, provided the weather is good. Or even evenings, provided there aren't too many to shuttle.

Edited by AnalogDog

Add me to interested list. I have a couple of inflatable kayaks (2-person Innova and cheap 1.5 person Seyvlor). I'm hoping to do a lot of water caches this summer, and these sound like a great start. We should petition Jeremy to create a Water Cache icon. <_<

We were thinking of proposing Saturday June 11th,which looks to be an open weekend as far as WA geocaching events are concerned. Say 10a-? (however long it takes to shuttle everyone, heck we'd even offer to bring some grub if folks want to stay for lunch). How does this date look?

Fine for me... Although at the rate this summer is booking up I am sure that my family is going to get a little upset when I am busy every weekend.

I have some zip ties and duct tape if things start getting too bad for you at home. :huh:<_<:blink:

did I say that out loud? :huh:

I can make the trip on the 11th with my boat.

I suggest that cartoppers and folks without a boat meet at the west side of the lake for shorter ferrying, I will drop my boat in at the main ramp on the east side, and come around for you all.

Rob

Edited by AnalogDog
I suggest that cartoppers and folks without a boat meet at the west side of the lake for shorter ferrying, I will drop my boat in at the main ramp on the east side, and come around for you all.

I still need to get this posted as an "Event", but I was actually going to suggest that folks meet at the coordinates listed on the "Goose Island" geocaching page (which I think is equivalent to the side you were planning to launch your boat at). More space to congregate, plenty of parking, BBQ/picnic facilities, etc.

Just an FYI that the formal "event" was rejected by geocaching.com; to quote the website, "An event cache should not be set up for the sole purpose of drawing together cachers for an organized hunt of another cache or caches". I guess we should have read the rules first :blink: (they must make exceptions for cache machines?). Still, we are really bummed because we were hoping this event could be broadcast to the broader geocaching community, and not just the small subset of folks active in the forums. Oh well, as they say, rules are rules. ;)

We'll be at the Goose Island launching coordinates at 10am on June 11th with our trusty canoe in hand. Any geocacher who is currently watercraft-challenged is welcome to borrow our canoe to conquer these caches. Since we've already found these caches we'll push you off and celebrate your success from shore.

Just change the 'event' portion of it to a lunch/dinner after the boat trips to the island and caching, and you have a better chance of getting it approved...just a thought.

That is what happens with the cache machines. The 'event' is technically the dinner event on Saturday night. That way it is open to the entire geocaching community, not just those participating in the cache machine itself. Make this a picnic/potluck gathering in the park and it's listable.