Very New To The Gps World - Where Can I Get Inform

This looks like a great forum. I'm looking for a place to find answers in simple terms. I have read my manually, but it seems very limited. I have been using my GPS and trying different things but it's a very slow learning process.

The Megellan Sportrak colour is the only GPS I'v used so I'm not sure if the terminolgy is the same from GPS to GPS.

What I'm most interested in with my GPS is the ability to great maps and download to my PC. My main purpose for the GPS is for snowmobiling. The sled maps are okay but the trail changes often and keeping accurate records is nice. I have hundreds of questions and I'm wondering this is the right place to start asking them.

Questions like...

When creating a Map, it records the exact track from point "A" to point"B". Can I save this information and use it if I was to go from point 'A" to point "B" again in the future?

Can I find out the distance I have left to travel when using my defined track?

Can I keep mutiple "Tracks" on the GPS unit?

When I convert a Track to a Route, it loses the actual track travelled and adds 30 way points on the route? It draws straight lines between the way points and the route dosen't look anything like where I went.

These questions probably seem easy, but I just can't figure it out...

Any help would be appreciated. If I can be directed to a helpful website that we be good too.

I am a tester on Backpackgeartest.org and tested the SporTrak Color last year, along with two other people. The reports we wrote might help you:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Na...20Color%202003/

Note: I'm not a spammer, I'm a geocacher and backpacker. BGT is a free-to-access site and the testers are all volunteer. I happen to work with BGT and know the reports well, and think they may answer some of the questions you have. (I hate posting links to BGT and looking like a spammer since I am really involved with the site! ;))

When creating a Map, it records the exact track from point "A" to point"B". Can I save this information and use it if I was to go from point 'A" to point "B" again in the future?

Can I find out the distance I have left to travel when using my defined track?

Can I keep mutiple "Tracks" on the GPS unit?

When I convert a Track to a Route, it loses the actual track travelled and adds 30 way points on the route? It draws straight lines between the way points and the route dosen't look anything like where I went.

What you need to do is to convert your tracks manually to routes.

Background...converting a track to route automatically is problematic because a track has many points while a route is limited to a set number of waypoints. When this is executed, it tries to pick the best points (turns and such) to use as waypoints, but it will have its limitations.

So you need to download the tracks and view them on a map (Mapsend works ok, but most other mapping programs that can talk to the ST should work). Then on that map, place waypoints that will follow the 'track' as detailed as you would like. Then create the route and that route can be loaded to the ST. I am not sure what the limitations to the number of waypoints/route are on the ST, or how many routes you can store on the ST.

Once you create a route and have it loaded to the GPS, you can then view the 'distance' remaining in the route.

Hope that helps.

Hi there new GPS'r the program I use to keep track of Routes and Tracks is Oziexplorer. It works great for uploading and downloading to my Sportrak Pro. I'm not sure how many features are the same between the two Models but I would guess that they are quite similar.

I probably can answer a few questions if you want to fire them at me.

I have been keeping a record of my Tracks while out flying around the Maritimes and it works great.