Helpppppp!!!!!!! With Compass

can u tell me if the following 2 gps has the electronic compass built in feature????

and also out of the 2 what one would you buy!! i really only use the compass feature when im tracking a geocache and of course i enter the coordinates of the cache and my car . i do not keep more then 5 locations at a time ....thanks for the help rob west

magellan explorist 300

garmin etrex legend

Edited by team jsstyles

team jsstyles Posted on Mar 21 2005, 02:35 PM

can u tell me if the following 3gps has the electronic compass built in feature???? magellan explorist 300.....garmin etrex venture.....garmin etrex legend

Out of those 3, ONLY the Magellan eXplorist 300 has a built in Electronic Compass.

You can check out both company product lines at:

Garmin GPS Products

Magellan GPS Products

The Explorist is the only unit with an electronic compass.

Almost any unit comes with a compass screen but that's not the same as having an electronic compass.

There are a number of threads dedicated to the pros and cons of the Explorist line. Determine your needs and do some research in those threads.

The Legend is a great unit, but the patch antenna can be a problem under cover.

I don't know enough about the capabilities of the Explorist line to comment yet....I understand there are some issues around the built in battery and the inablility to attach external power.

Whatever you decide on remember to factor in the price of mapping software in addition to the GPS.

Of the two I'd definitely pick the Legend. A separate magnetic compass is inexpensive and should frequently be carried as backup in any event. So I'd rather have a unit that supports a computer interface and is therefore suitable for a wide range of applications.

BTW, it appears that it is possible to add an interface to the eXplorist 100/200/300 models, see:

http://rhamphorinkx.newmail.ru/connect.htm

I wouldn't recommend it for someone deciding on which unit to buy since it's still a nonstandard interface without much software support.

Edited by peter