Legend-c Vs 60c

hmarq

I need a new gps ... I had a 60c and liked it; except for the form factor (too big); I don't believe (or at least remember) the legend-c being available when I got the 60c, but now it is.

Both color, both autoroute ...

60c 1000wpts, legend only 500

60c quad-helix, legend patch antenna

60 is about $100 more, but both have $50 rebates

Anyone played with both? ... other thoughts?

Some additional advantages for the 60c:

More map memory (56 vs. 24 MB)

RS232 interface with NMEA messages if you ever need to connect to software or other devices that require this

External antenna connection

Slightly larger screen

How much the extra features are worth depends on how you'll be using it.

when using auto routing you don't want smaller screen and not enough memory for both topo and streets in your area my 60cs is a few days old and love it.

I just wish it had more memory other then that it looks good also and fits in my hand nicely to me smaller is not better it's harder on eyes and I love the 8 feet accuracy of the 60cs antenna I have a etrex legend and I loose reception out in the woods I think the 60cs will be much better they eaven came out with a new case for the 60cs should be here this week

good luck

Edited by RoosterBoy

I just traded up from a B&W eTrex Vista to a GPSMAP60CS. After a few days with the new GPS, here's my opinion:

Pros:

1. More memory lets me load a lot more map detail. No more worries about overrunning my maps on a caching day.

2. The larger screen is a huge huge plus for me. My forty-something eyes really appreciate the bigger fonts.

3. Autorouting - how did I ever live without it?

4. Audible alerts for turns. I don't know if the Legend C does this, but it sure is easier to drive without keeping one eye on the eTrex to see when the next turn is coming up. Now I just wait for the 60 to burble and tell me when to turn.

5. Sensitivity seems much improved, although I have not tested them head to head. But on a recent hike the 60 kept a lock alongside cliffs and in a thick pine forest, two areas where my eTrex would normally go numb.

6. Battery life seems much improved, although a night hike with the backlight frequently turned on drained the batteries a bit faster than anticipated.

Cons:

1. The etrex's buttons can be operated with gloved hands - I cannot say the same for the 60CS. Even without gloves, it's a bit uncomfortable to operate with one hand as you have to grab it near the bottom of the unit and operate the buttons with your thumb.

2. Size-wise the 60 is a bit heavier and bulkier, but not so much as to make me yearn for the etrex. It was a tossup between the 60CS and 76CS, but in the end it was the button layout and overall size of the 60 that won me over.

3. What? No neck lanyard?

I don't know what a 60c sells for, but there is a great deal on the 76 cs at amazon right now for $319.99 (if youre willing to sign up for an amazon credit card). Even if you dont want to sign up for the card, its $349.99 plus free shipping and handling.

I don't know how much more that would be than the price you are paying for the 60c but if it isnt too much more, it might be worth a look.

Just go to amazon.com and search for garmin 76cs, once you add it to your cart it will show you the price. Then, theres the 50$ mail in from garmin (which there is a link for right on that same page) and a 30$ discount for signing up for the card.

Good luck!