Day/Hydration Pack

Madman65

Out of the half dozen packs I own, my favorite that I use almost constantly is the Mountainsmith 'Tour' day pack. It is a lumbar pack with waterbottle holders on the end and a small bungie cord on the front for attaching your jacket. Although it is not real large, I am amazed how much I can carry with it.

Usually I just carry it as a lumbar pack, but I also bought the optional shoulder strap so you can carry it as a regular pack.This allows me to carry my GPS in a custom case attached to the front on my upper chest so I don't lose sat lock and have to carry the GPS in my hand.

http://www.mountainsmith.com/product/details.jsp?prodId=20&catId=51

19973_600.gifThe adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

I recently bought a CamelBak Peak Bagger. I was interested in storage space (about 1,800 cu. in., as I recall) as well as water capacity, since I'm carrying water for three (wife, dog and me). I'm pleased so far; it seems to have plenty of room and is comfortable now that I've got it adjusted correctly.

I've seen the CamelBak Rim Runner recommended here, too.

Gary // Team Grayrun

Take care of the land. Someday, you'll be part of it.

I have a Marmot Walkabout also. It has room enough for firstaid, tradeables and food. I also carry 2@ 1 quart water bottles. That's enough for 3 people for short hikes. For longer hikes I have the other people carry a 1 quart bottle also. You might want to go to a camping/sporting goos store to check out the camelback packs. I'm thinkg about getting one for my son.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

With four kids, we have a surplus of daypacks/bookpacks. We are currently using one we received as a "freebie" for opening a checking account. It has several handy pockets, with two mesh pockets on the side which are very handy for water bottles. We keep it packed with the goodies, first aid kit, etc., ready to be picked up at a moment's notice! It seems to be very comfortable, and has served us on hikes of 2 or more miles. The others may also carry extra water, also. (We recycle things to the ultimate, if possible... icon_wink.gif )

With four kids, we have a surplus of daypacks/bookpacks. We are currently using one we received as a "freebie" for opening a checking account. It has several handy pockets, with two mesh pockets on the side which are very handy for water bottles. We keep it packed with the goodies, first aid kit, etc., ready to be picked up at a moment's notice! It seems to be very comfortable, and has served us on hikes of 2 or more miles. The others may also carry extra water, also. (We recycle things to the ultimate, if possible... icon_wink.gif )

A camelbak M.U.L.E. it has a 100oz bladder, and enough storage for my digital camera, compass, radios, puts, and other stuff, but still small enough that it doesn't get hung up on stuff as I'm walking through the bushes.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I have the 100oz (3 liter) Camelbak Unbottle. It's wonderful. It's got the Omega reservior (i.e. a cap you can reach through to clean or fill it), which is really nice.

It's got four D-rings to attach it to the outside of you pack, if you want to, but I just toss it in my daypack or zip it into the long pocket on my weekender pack. All in all, it's more flexible to use and cheaper to buy than an integrated hydration pack, and it's easier to toss the whole thing in the fridge, since it has no straps. icon_wink.gif

I have the 100oz (3 liter) Camelbak Unbottle. It's wonderful. It's got the Omega reservior (i.e. a cap you can reach through to clean or fill it), which is really nice.

It's got four D-rings to attach it to the outside of you pack, if you want to, but I just toss it in my daypack or zip it into the long pocket on my weekender pack. All in all, it's more flexible to use and cheaper to buy than an integrated hydration pack, and it's easier to toss the whole thing in the fridge, since it has no straps. icon_wink.gif

All newer Camelbaks come with that new omega mouth, plus they also have a valve you can turn off and on at the mouth piece to prevent leaks, You can also easily remove the entire bladder from your pack. The really nice thing about the integrated pack is that it is designed in such a way that the mouth piece can be run over the straps and positioned just below your mouth. You can actually set it up so you can drink totally hands free.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Platypus also makes a water bladder/hose setup, with a ziploc type end that makes it easy to clean. I find the Platypus material doesn't impart a plastic taste to the water like the Camelback bladders do. I just put the thing inside my day pack and run the hose out the zipper on top.

Go check out all of the different varieties of CamelBak. I am sure there is one for you. The good thing about them is you won't spill water on yourself and the more you drink the lighter your pack gets. You can fill them with ice to keep you drink cold during those hot days.

Bones

quote:
Originally posted by RAD Dad:

The really nice thing about the integrated pack is that it is designed in such a way that the mouth piece can be run over the straps and positioned just below your mouth. You can actually set it up so you can drink totally hands free.

When I'm out on the trails or waves, I'm all configured for hands-free with my Unbottle. If I'm hiking, it's in my pack, and if I'm paddling, I strap it to the back of my seat.

In my experience most caches don't require much in the way of hiking. Hence, a pack is not needed. I feel that most people would be best served by a cargo vest or some kind of quick-don fanny pack. I love the looks I've gotten when I pull up at a park and start strapping on my hydration daypack. It's just not worth it for a 10 minute jaunt into the bushes. Now actual hikes are another story. For those I suggest anything by Camelbak although I feel the Platypus reservoir is superior in every way (and cheaper too). And a good place to order online is REI.com. They have good prices and excellent service.

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I have to agree with Geo Quest for most caches I have a lumber(fanny pack) that I got at sports Authority that allows me to carry a single water bottle and some extra stuff in the fanny pack. This works well for the majority of the caches and I have a basic day pack for any caches that require an actual hike, but don't need it mosty of the time.

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Quest:

In my experience most caches don't require much in the way of hiking. Hence, a pack is not needed. I feel that most people would be best served by a cargo vest or some kind of quick-don fanny pack.....snip

I got tired of the looks you get putting on a backpack in urban areas. In a previous post, Mt10bike talked about a photo vest. I happen to have a very old Banana Republic (before they turned traitor) vest that I normally travel with. While at REI the other day I found one perfect for caching and it was only $27! The upper and middle pockets are perfect for the GPSr, cell phone, ht radio (for the hams) and the lower pockets will hold your caching goodies. Yup, I bought it. AND it has enough room on it for the new patches.

icon_cool.gif

inceptor

North Texas Geocaching Association

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Quest:

In my experience most caches don't require much in the way of hiking. Hence, a pack is not needed. I feel that most people would be best served by a cargo vest or some kind of quick-don fanny pack.....snip

I got tired of the looks you get putting on a backpack in urban areas. In a previous post, Mt10bike talked about a photo vest. I happen to have a very old Banana Republic (before they turned traitor) vest that I normally travel with. While at REI the other day I found one perfect for caching and it was only $27! The upper and middle pockets are perfect for the GPSr, cell phone, ht radio (for the hams) and the lower pockets will hold your caching goodies. Yup, I bought it. AND it has enough room on it for the new patches.

icon_cool.gif

inceptor

North Texas Geocaching Association

First... what did Bananna Republic do to turn traitor? I have several of their vests.

When hiking alone, I use one of the Wal-Mart day-packs. It has a 70oz water bladder, and enough area for myself, if I carry my pistol and ham radio separately. It was $30.00, a good deal for me.

When out with more than myself, and after 20+ years of doing so, I fall back on my military web gear. Start with the standard belt and suspenders. On the belt, right side, is a 2 qt canteen cover, with a holster stiched into it for my pistol. Centered on the belt back is a first aid kit, including one eppi-injector, just in case someone (or some dog) gets stung by a scorpion and has a reaction. Next, depending on the distance, I can set 2 each 1 qt canteens or 2 qt canteens either side of the first aid kit. Ham radio and cell phone hang from the suspenders. On the belt left side is another empty 2qt canteen cover for carrying extra socks, treasures, lensatic compass, and anything else including extra batteries.

I almost always carry a military map bag with topo-maps, military maps, pencils, small ruler, small calculator, small mag light, (for the caves), and small binoculars. Of course, all of the above gear is optional, and any part of it may or may not be on any given mission.

Oh, did I forget my GPS?

Used military web gear is available. If you don't have a surplus store in your town, try the U.S. Cav Store on the internet.

Mike. KD9KC

El Paso, TX.

Yeah, the RimRunner is a bit large for most urban caches, but even an 'easy 10 minute cache' can turn into an hour or more when trying to find the actual cache. In Texas summer heat, even after just a 1/2 hour you better think about getting some fluids in ya. It hold 3 liters internal and has mesh side pouches that'll hold 2 more 1 liter bottles. That's enough to hold us for a good long while. My 5y.o. son has his own CamelBak Scout that holds 1liter. It's nice that we don't have to stop just so he can take a drink. And he drinks like a fish. The RimRunner is also big enough to hold everything we need. All we gotta do is grab the pack and walk out the door. It hold the GPSr, phone, radios, goodies, snacks, spare batteries, first aid kit, compass, and much more.

The one thing we wished we'd had in it yesterday was a towel. We happened upon a great swimming hole but were sans towel. No swimsuits wasn't a problem as it was far enough away from everything that we could forego those. icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Team Bohica on May 28, 2002 at 02:48 PM.]

Yeah, the RimRunner is a bit large for most urban caches, but even an 'easy 10 minute cache' can turn into an hour or more when trying to find the actual cache. In Texas summer heat, even after just a 1/2 hour you better think about getting some fluids in ya. It hold 3 liters internal and has mesh side pouches that'll hold 2 more 1 liter bottles. That's enough to hold us for a good long while. My 5y.o. son has his own CamelBak Scout that holds 1liter. It's nice that we don't have to stop just so he can take a drink. And he drinks like a fish. The RimRunner is also big enough to hold everything we need. All we gotta do is grab the pack and walk out the door. It hold the GPSr, phone, radios, goodies, snacks, spare batteries, first aid kit, compass, and much more.

The one thing we wished we'd had in it yesterday was a towel. We happened upon a great swimming hole but were sans towel. No swimsuits wasn't a problem as it was far enough away from everything that we could forego those. icon_wink.gif

I use an EMS Waterslide pack. This one is neat as the Platypus hydration pack fits inside the daypack, but can be removed and worn on it's own for biking etc. Has a handy yellow lining which makes it easier to find stuff inside and a large rear mesh pocket which is good for carrying all sorts of stuff.

Performance Bike has a house brand of hydration packs. The largest is called the Monsoon Max. It has a removable 100oz bladder and room for a second. It also has as much cargo room as a Camelback H.A.W.G. The best part is that it costs only about 40 bucks. icon_cool.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

Performance Bike has a house brand of hydration packs. The largest is called the Monsoon Max. It has a removable 100oz bladder and room for a second. It also has as much cargo room as a Camelback H.A.W.G. The best part is that it costs only about 40 bucks. icon_cool.gif

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took the one less traveled by, ...

unclerojelio

My current (and favorite) water bladder is the from Safewater anywhere. The nice things about these bladders is that they are treated with something that surpresses the growth of bacteria, fungus, mildew, and mold on the inside of the bladder, bite valve, and tube. No more propping the bladders open with a coat hanger or having to clean them (on my cross country trip I use it then throw it in the truck, often times it sits in 100 degree temps in my truck wet with nothing growing inside). Plus you can also get an inline filter from them for it (or any bladder really) that works great. Just pop it on and you can drink from just about any water source as easily as using a hydration pack.