Trans-canada Highway Caches

3jaze

I've created five Trans-Canada Highway bookmarks and populated them all with TCDN and TCDA caches (all that I could find via a keywords search):

Trans-Canada Highway - West

Trans-Canada Highway - Prairie

Trans-Canada Highway - Ontario

Trans-Canada Highway - Quebec

Trans-Canada Highway - Maritimes

A lot of Trans-Canada Highway caches are not marked with the familiar TCDN (or the older TCDA) codes. If you know of any not in the bookmark lists, please post here (or email me the link/waypoint code). Thanks.

Thanks dogbreath for the Bookmark.

It surely narrows down the searches quicker this way. :(

My latest TCDN cache, it is very very close to the highway. You get to park underneath the Findlay Bridge which is a 4 lane, dual bridge over the South Saskatchewan River. You can reach the cache in about 2 minutes. If you read the cache description it tells you exactly where the cache is so it is actually a 1, not a 2. :o

This was a great idea 3jaze and I think the TCDN cache idea is working very well.

Here is TBTCDNAB, my new TB hotel, note the TB hotel restrictions, none at all, this is a cache designed to help TB's move along. If you see a travel bug, move it, the owner of the bug will appreciate knowing it is alright. Do not trade for Travel Bugs, they are NOT trade items, they belong to other geocachers and they have missions. Take every TB you see in this cache and help it out, this cache is meant to help TB's in their missions, please take them all, help them out..

You have it right Oodi. The main thing, as 3jaze pointed out, is the addition of the TCDN letters to the cache name. In addition to the TCDN designation you add the two letters that designate the province ie. TCDNON. The graphics are not required but the addition of the TCDN designation is what actually makes it a TCDN cache, searchable on geocaching.com using the letters TCDN (or YLHD for Yellowhead). The main thing is to make sure that travelers can find the cache quickly and it is close to the highway, a service to those driving the highway (an attraction actually !).

Once you have done this you could also send an email to dogbreathcanada letting him know that you have added a new TCDN cache, this not required but it will quickly add your cache to the TCDN bookmark list that DBC maintains.

There are copies of the graphic that can be used and they can be found on the Birds, Saskatchewan cache listing.

Performed some maintenance on Chanda's Treasure - TCDNON and updated the listing to reflect it as a TCDNON cache.

I have another cache that is located near the Trans Canada. It is about 1.1km away on Hwy72. It is located about 360m from the most practical parking spot. I am not sure whether or not it can be completed in 30 minutes. Really depends on ones stamina and physical condition, it is up a hill with a fair elevation change, cutting across a power line right of way. I.e. with decent hiking boots should be able to do it in under 30 minutes, no way with regular runners. Difficulty will be 2 or less but terrain more like a 2.5 or 3. Thoughts on whether it could be TCDNON or not?

I really like that idea alot. I do alot of traveling in my rv across canada and that would really make the trip more fun.

I read in a post some where else that gc.com is working on a feature that will allow you to search for caches along any route you chose. i do that now using google earth with the geocache overlay. and just scroll along the route and book mark and caches along the way

I added a new TCDN cache in Tompkins, Saskatchewan.

The new TCDN cache is called A Shady Place, TCDNSK and it is located very close to the Yellow Headed Blackbird, TCDNSK cache. The new cache is located close to The Shady Place campground.

The summer is here so it is time to plant those TCDN caches. :ph34r:

I will repeat the general guidelines for TCDN caches as originally suggested by CAC cacher 3jaze.

The plan was based on making TCDN caches traveller friendly;

No more than difficulty 2, no more than 1/2 hour total time, no more than 3 kilometers (2 miles) from the highway. Make sure to place the key letters "TCDN" in the title and append your provincial designation ie TCDNAB. That is all you need to do.

You can add a graphic to show that your cache is a TCDN cache, a copy is available on the Birds, Saskatchewan TCDNSK cache page. A similar series of caches are created along the Yellowhead Highway and the TransLabrador Highway and you can find the graphics for those as well.

I maintain a public bookmark list of all the Yellowhead route caches and DogBreathCanada has a public bookmark list of all the TCDN caches.

You can opt to let people know a bit more about the site, E-W access, RV friendly etc... I choose RV friendly locations for all my TCDN caches and indicate that on the graphic itself.

Looking forward to seeing some more TCDN caches planted all across Canada this year.

It was a good summer!

I am currently showing 93 YLHD caches.

I haven't seen DBC for awhile, I think he is mostly at the LMGA site now and I am not sure if he is actively bookmarking TCDN caches but I do check the YLHD additions on a regular basis.

The new Caches Along a Route feature lets you set up a search that will return a set of results that are similar in nature to TCDN but the TCDN spec is still useful as it is pretty specific.

If you have caches close the the Trans- Canada Highway or close to the Yellowhead that are easy to get to and easy to find then by all means go ahead and add the TCDN or YLHD letters to your cache title.

My busiest cache is a TCDN cache.

The new Caches Along a Route feature lets you set up a search that will return a set of results that are similar in nature to TCDN but the TCDN spec is still useful as it is pretty specific.

If you have caches close the the Trans- Canada Highway or close to the Yellowhead that are easy to get to and easy to find then by all means go ahead and add the TCDN or YLHD letters to your cache title.

Considering that this idea predates both bookmark lists and caches along a route queries shows that it was way ahead of it's time. I see more than few comments praising this system on logs for my YLHD caches.

I added a few more bookmarks for Yellowhead caches in the last week, we are nearing the 100th cache in the YLHD series, I think much of the YLHD success can be attributed to PDOP's and his unflagging efforts to spread the word. The original idea expressed by 3jaze so long ago has really filled out.

I am showing 97 caches marked by the YLHD designation and currently there are 69 caches marked as TCDN caches.

If you have a cache that qualifies as a TCDN or a YLHD cache then go ahead and make the changes. If you live near one of these highways and you have never placed one of these convenient caches for travellers then you might want to consider doing that, you can find all the particulars by reading this thread.

I just updated one of my caches (Joey's Jar) with the TCDNNL code. I haven't added the graphic to the page yet, but I will get to that.

One of the caches that I found last summer - Ici Radio Canada Internationale (GCXFJJ) fits the guidelines too I think. I don't know the owners, but I think this should be on the bookmark list.

Skisidedown.

I will be actually driving completely across Canada from Vancouver to Sydney, NS this summer ... first week of August.

So if we can get some of these caches as close to the TCDN, that would be great. My goal would be to get at least ONE in each province, but hopefully more.

I will be literally driving my husband crazy, cause I'll be saying: "Stop here!! Stop here!"

Caperbirder (from Cape Breton)