Joint-smoking Id10ts

Found this on one of my caches:

Haha, while me and a friend were smoking a joint we stumbled upon this interesting littte box and opened it. To our supprise we found your little note book and wrote in it, and we wrote, you guys are fing homos. Then we placed the bricks on top of the box again and pissed on it. Wow is all i have to say it was fing halarious! But now i feel remorse and am gonna look for others and put 1$ bills in them and then pee on them and if u want the dollar you have to pick it up with piss on it.

Needless to say, I am not pleased... :rolleyes:

Don't blame the pot. Blame ignorant, immature children without parental guidance or supervision.

Perhaps new caches should not have the geocaching.com website addy. Sad that it would have to come to that. But it's the only way to save other caches in the area from jerks.

Haha, while me and a friend were smoking a joint we stumbled upon this interesting littte box and opened it. To our supprise we found your little note book and wrote in it, and we wrote, you guys are fing homos. Then we placed the bricks on top of the box again and pissed on it. Wow is all i have to say it was fing halarious! But now i feel remorse and am gonna look for others and put 1$ bills in them and then pee on them and if u want the dollar you have to pick it up with piss on it.

Well...the chances of them having a GPS are slim. Maybe make all your nearby hides MOC for a month?

Ed

Haha, while me and a friend were smoking a joint we stumbled upon this interesting littte box and opened it.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason for banning food from caches did NOT originate from the threat of attack by woodland creatures. It was actually an effort to reduce plundering by those suffering from a cannabis-induced onset of "the munchies". :rolleyes:

I have a cache that was found by some boys - they raided it, but left rocks, snake skins etc. Each time they wrote a brief note, finally when it was empty they wrote "a potty note" (I pissed on this box) - this is typical of adolescent and preadolescent ages. I refilled it (on the cheap) and rehid it. They continue to visit and raid - but as two years have gone by, now they trade. Down, but they're trading. Kids grow up. I do have a large bold note on the cache page about NO BUGS. Otherwise it's been kind of interesting.

Not all stoners are jerks. Chekc out my DNF log from last June on this one. The decrypted clue says: "Arrive High" :ph34r:

But seriously, it isn't just the drugs, but stupid bored teens. I doubt any of us were immune from the hormonal moronic behavior of our youth; we just weren't stupid enough to brag about it as well. :rolleyes:

Just another reason why I usually carry some of the latex gloves from my kitchen in my cache pack.

IMO, you should start carrying some extra water to wash the boxes off before handling them. Rubber gloves may be a good thing to start packing. Latex ones are cheap and take up little room. I keep several pair in my "Otter box" that houses my digital camera. Good luck with it.

This bothers me a bit, so I just might have to do something about it. This cache is very close to where I usually go fishing, so I might move my fishing spot a bit and keep an eye on the little valley the cache is in. I'm sure these potheads use the site often. So, if I see the little brats down there lighting up, I'll do my part as a concerned citizen and notify the authorities. Just doin my part to fight the war on drugs.

Edited by nejohnson
Don't blame the pot.

I agree.. I know quite a few potheads, and not one of them is the type of person that would do that. In fact, most people take pot to mellow out, and once mellow a pot head tends to just sorta sit there with a retarded looking grin on their face and talk really slow - the state of mind to piss on a cache box and write about it would not have come from a pot head. Chances are they're doing five or six other drugs as well.

So, if I see the little brats down there lighting up, I'll do my part as a concerned citizen and notify the authorities. Just doin my part to fight the war on drugs.

Good Grief. You act like this is a Meth Lab or something (oh, wait. That was my apartment complex last month)... Most pot users are harmless.

Facts about pot

Well...the chances of them having a GPS are slim. Maybe make all your nearby hides MOC for a month?

If they don't have a GPSr, will it matter how you've listed your cache?

In contrast, I found a note in a book once that said "found this while smoking some nature." They didn't harm the cache in anyway and the log was amusing. As others have said it is likely delinquent teenagers. Fortunately they are unlikely top actually go find other caches or if they do, will get bored quickly if they don't get alot of attention about it.

Something here makes me wonder.... the log entry says what they did after placing the cache back in it's place, but the log is inside the cache? Hmmm...

All in all, I bet they went back home and talked about it, and they think this is a cool sport. I would venture to say the log entry was just a childish reaction and an attempt to be cool.

When I was a child, it was the War AND Drugs. Then it became the War on Drugs. Now, it is really more like a domestic despute.

Back on the subject, when I was young, I did a lot of stupid things. None were blatantly damaging to other people's property, however. Why? Because my father would have declared war on my a**. (And he would have won, too, because he had superior firepower!)

Don't blame the pot.

I agree.. I know quite a few potheads, and not one of them is the type of person that would do that. In fact, most people take pot to mellow out, and once mellow a pot head tends to just sorta sit there with a retarded looking grin on their face and talk really slow - the state of mind to piss on a cache box and write about it would not have come from a pot head. Chances are they're doing five or six other drugs as well.

What you don't understand is that in this part of town, they're probably little rich-kids who are pissed off at the world even though they live in a $500,000 house and their parents buy them brand new cars. Chances are, its not the pot's fault at all, just spoiled brats under the influence.

This bothers me a bit, so I just might have to do something about it. This cache is very close to where I usually go fishing, so I might move my fishing spot a bit and keep an eye on the little valley the cache is in. I'm sure these potheads use the site often. So, if I see the little brats down there lighting up, I'll do my part as a concerned citizen and notify the authorities. Just doin my part to fight the war on drugs.

This is actually a good idea. Or you could approach them and tell them of your intentions. Either way, if the kids are young enough, they will not get into too much trouble from the law. However, they will probably catch all kinds of heck from their parents. This kind of early intervention can be beneficial to the youth and sometimes creates a 'scared straight' situation. Whereby the youth decides its just too risky to indulge. Getting the kids off drugs (including pot) would be the best thing that could possibly happen to them.

For kids, smoking pot is a very sad picture. It usually means there is a lot of 'other' stuff going on their lives and they are having trouble dealing with all of it. They need help from community, neighbors, family and friends. Killing brain cells and getting 'stupid' is just a sad, sad alternative.

In the past month teenaged boys have stolen a cache from my yard (I live in a very quiet neighborhood, but there are teen boys who work across the street and they have caused typical teenage problems before) and another cache of mine was just found with pee in the log book baggie....

I'm not pleased, either.

Is this "typical?" Or is it a symptom of the permissive parenting generation? All I know is that my mom would have slapped my brother if he had done something like that to someone else's property - and I think we were raised with a level of RESPECT (which I see lacking from too many kids today) (OH MY GOD _ DID I JUST SAY "KIDS TODAY???? HOW OLD AM I?????) that would have prevented him (or me) from doing that in the first place....

Sorry, just venting - as I said, losing two caches in a month has me a little wound :(

Not all teen agers are bad. I'm fifteen and I love to cache. What I do to prevent non geocachers from finding my caches is I make the cache really hard to find unless you have the proper instructions to find it off the web. I have never had a person vandalize one of my caches.

Not all teen agers are bad. I'm fifteen and I love to cache. What I do to prevent non geocachers from finding my caches is I make the cache really hard to find unless you have the proper instructions to find it off the web. I have never had a person vandalize one of my caches.

Agreed. A cache that can be stumbled on with little or no effort, IMHO is not hidden well enough. Or at least not in a secluded enough spot (or as so said cache owner thought)

And again don't blame the pot.

[raving jerk mode: on]

If I caught some little f*r messing with ANY cache.... lets just say I hope he was on the track team.

Oh. and.. his handle hung-something-8in.. Ha!

[raving jerk mode: off]

I've had two drug-related incidents in my caches.

One - used syringes.

Two - some pot smokers left some rolling papers and jellybeans and VERY funny logbook entries.

I moved the syringe cache and emptied the "special" items from the pot cache. So far it seems okay.

If someone urinates on the cache it is time to move it along. Regardless of the genesis of their actions.

I didn't read the whole thread so I apologize in advance if this is out of sinc but... I came across a cache in Pennsylvania that someone had taken the time to take a dump on. I can not imagine the mentality of someone who would do that. It made me sick at heart. :(

Haha, while me and a friend were smoking a joint we stumbled upon this interesting littte box and opened it.

a friend and I

Then we placed the bricks on top of the box again and pissed on it.

then we thought it would be funny to write about it in the book but got our hands wet while opening the box

The log copied into the thread is an ONLINE log, folks...

Anyway, this cache is not often found by people who attempt to find it with a GPS. Someone without a clue that it's there would have to be really tearing up the cliff face to find it.

I'd love to see what these kids do when they try to do the same treatment on the easiest cache nearby. It's a rather large fountain in the middle of Upper Arlington that Web-ling made a virtual a couple years ago. Mom, Dad, and Grandpa might just be driving by.

I didn't know anyone else said ID10ts! My dh and I use that all the time to describve some people! At work he asks people if they have filled out their id10t form. They're like HUH? LOL!

Anyway I'm really sorry the slime balls did this to your cache! I wish kids found better things to do with their spare time than ruin other people's property!

legalise all drugs. let darwinism work again.

i can understand some uses ie alcohol etc and even cigarettes and cannabis but why the hell would you want to take cocaine or heroin??

as has been said these idiots would have done what they did drugs or not.

i always open caches while wearing gloves. discounting humans you never know what else has releived themselves onto the cache. see other threads re weils disease and so on.

i personally would move or archive any cache that had been abused this badly. just to try to stop it happening again. they will come back to look. if you just replace they'll prob do it again.

IMO, you should start carrying some extra water to wash the boxes off before handling them. Rubber gloves may be a good thing to start packing. Latex ones are cheap and take up little room. I keep several pair in my "Otter box" that houses my digital camera. Good luck with it.

Man, it's a sad day when I have to cache in rubber gloves. :) Seems that there's always a couple of jerks out there to screw up a perfectly good hobby!

i always open caches while wearing gloves. discounting humans you never know what else has releived themselves onto the cache. see other threads re weils disease and so on.

We keep a roll of paper towels in the truck to wipe the dirt off, then use some of the gel hand sanitizer.

Maybe a few sets of latex gloves wouldn't be a bad idea to keep in my pack for a questionable cache. :blink:

Young in my cache career, so I haven't ran across one yet, but you never know. :D

D-man :)

It sort of brings up another issue, too... how far do we want Geocaching to expand? I only found out about the sport a few days ago but I already know of what's happened to caches that have been on the news or otherwise over-publicized. I don't think Geocaching should become a cult of sorts where you need to prove your intentions to be able to take part, but on the other hand, it seems that we need to be careful who we tell about it. Otherwise we may end up with people go to great lengths simply to ruin the game for others.

I guess Members Only caches are somewhat protected against this...

Edited by Tidalflame
For kids, smoking pot is a very sad picture. It usually means there is a lot of 'other' stuff going on their lives and they are having trouble dealing with all of it. They need help from community, neighbors, family and friends. Killing brain cells and getting 'stupid' is just a sad, sad alternative.

Well mostly kids who smoke just want to get high, thats it!

I think what happened to the cache is really terrible, but the other thing that strikes me is this comment in their log:

". . . you guys are fing homos."

When these guys aren't vandalizing caches, will they next beat up someone they suspect to be gay, like those guys did who killed Matthew Shepard?

This entire incident is very, very disturbing . . . :grin: