Gas Prices??

I just got back from an eight-day camping trip to Yucca Valley (where I found some really cool caches) and Joshua Tree National Monument.

I intended to drive all the way up to Death Valley to see all the desert wildflowers, but the price of gas at $2.34 per gallon stopped me. On the way back through the Imperial Valley yesterday, gas was $2.39/gallon, at the cheap stations. :grin:

I just got back from an eight-day camping trip to Yucca Valley (where I found some really cool caches) and Joshua Tree National Monument.

I intended to drive all the way up to Death Valley to see all the desert wildflowers, but the price of gas at $2.34 per gallon stopped me. On the way back through the Imperial Valley yesterday, gas was $2.39/gallon, at the cheap stations. :grin:

I paid $45 to fill my tank yesterday. Ouch.

$1.97 a gallon here in Rome GA at the K-mart gas center.

Scratch that!!

Cheapest in town now is 1.99.

But most are 2.04 - 2.07.

Cost me $51 bucks to fill up our Envoy this afternoon!! :grin::(:(

D*mn oil barrons!!

Let the oil flow!!!

We know you got it!!!

D-poor-man :(

I remember at one time you couldn't pump your own gas in NJ. Are all the stations in NJ still Full Service?

You still can't. Generally the lowest gas prices in the nation and someone else pumps for ya. Can't beat that!

Can't pump your own gas in Oregon either... and since we have one of the highest minimum wages in the country it ends up costing us and we have to wait around for one kid to man 12 pumps... but I sure do like sitting in my car, and I avoid stations where I have to go inside to pay.

People hate to be behind me at the pumps when I'm in California or Washington because I have to actually look at it for a minute.

Price for Regular Unleaded at Arco was $2.18 as of yesterday... Its going to hurt my caching some. I've been carpooling with other geocachers to help with the cost.

It ended up being $2.43/gallon at the pump when I filled up the other day.

I drive a hybrid, so the higher prices don't bug me that much. Gas prices don't affect my geocaching at all-- I tend to go during my commute or on weekends anyway, and right now I'm moving, so I don't have time to cache anyway. But even if I did have time, I'm hurting less at the pump than others.

I, like Mortaine, drive a hybrid. At $3.00 a gallon, I will only be paying $30 to fill up for 300+ miles :0).

I live in the middle of nowhere, so currently I am paying $2.30+ for gas which lasts maybe a week if I drive to town (1 1/2 hours away) only once or twice.

Paying less for gas(because of my Prius)= extra $$ to go on a geocaching trip up north to see B-I-L ;).

I, like Mortaine, drive a hybrid.

What is the cost of LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) in the US? In the UK it's about half the cost of our petrol (gas) ie about $3.40/UK gallon whilst petrol is $6.80/UK gallon around here.

I filled up my car (with petrol) this morning from nearly empty to full and paid about £54 ie $102. About 90% of that goes to the Government.

In England (I think I've got this right):

1 English litre = 0.2642 US gallons

therefore 3.785 English litres = 1 US gallon

petrol (sorry, gas!!) = £0.897 / english litre x 3.785 = £3.40 / US gallon

Through the currency convertor = $6.46 / US gallon

And we were told in the newspapers the other day rising oil prices could mean it going over £1.00 per English litre which will mean over $7.19 / US gallon.

What fun :tired:

What are English litres? ;)

What are English litres?  :tired:

They're not English litres - just litres. Fluid unit of choice for the UK, Australia ... anywhere using metric measures rather than imperial.

As an aside, my folks are paying about AU$1.10 a litre at home in Melbourne, Australia - that's about AU$4.16 a gallon. Run that through the currency converter, it's about US$3.22 a gallon... and that's not even the high octane stuff!!

They're not my fluid measure of choice, just the nasty metric one imposed upon us from above.

4.48L = 1 Imperial Gallon

1 gallon = 8 pints

1 pint = 20 fluid ounces

1 fluid ounce = 28 mls

1000mls = 1L

When was the last time anybody saw a poor oil company?!

So some refinery blew up in Texas, killing 14.. Clicky

What will this mean for our gas prices... :anibad:

The refinery makes about 3% of the nations total supply of fuel. They will most likly be close or in a reduce mode for some time for repairs to the plant. This plant was the second largest in the country.

I am paying about $2. 18 a gallon in Central Jersey. (They fill her up for you included in the price) So I can't complain other than that I am buying Plane Tickets from JFK (New York City) to Cape Town, South Africa to relocate in the summer. When tickets average $1100-1400 per seat any price drop in oil helps the check book.

I am watching fares very closely right now. But am excited to cache in SA!!

$2.14 tonight for regular unleaded, here in Beautiful Margaretville, NY in the Catskills. Has been going up about 2 cents every other day or so. Guess I will have to get rid of this Dodge 4 wheel truck soon. Can't afford to go caching with it anymore. Maybe I can use my son's Harley? Right, like he'll let the old man drive that, Hah.

I know in Canada diesel is always 15 to 20% less than gas.

Yeah, it was that way here (Calgary, Alberta) for the longest time. I don't drive my diesel in the winter because it is only a two-wheel drive and has too much power for driving on ice. When I last filled it in October gas was about 15 - 20 cents per litre higher than diesel. Since then diesel has skyrocketed and is the same or more than gas, which makes no sense to me and no one seems to be able to explain.

Back on topic...

The higher gas prices have made some changes in how we cache. Some of the caches farther away from our home coords will have to wait until we are in the area for some other purpose -- no more trips specifically for caching. It also means we think twice about going caching because we know staying home will be a lot cheaper.

For the record, we paid 78 cents per litre in Cochrane, AB last night, but at least with that we got a 5 cents per litre grocery coupon. What's that work out, about $2.50 US / gallon?

Edited by DanOCan

I am not sure what's going on. The price of regular gas a few weeks ago went from $1.97 to $2.29. A week later it droped to $2.19, and not it's $2.43. It never seems to go down as much as it goes up.

As a side note, I don't think the taxes flucuate that much, I think they are a flat rate per gallon. I also know that the price per gallon may be cheaper here in Lansing Michigan than overseas, but if you look at the 10 - 20 percent price swing, it is shocking. I consider gas a necessity, like water, electricity and natural gas (for home heating). These don't flucuate that much, and you can't really do without.

When I got my new car almost two years ago, I started keeping track of the gas price and amount every time I filled up. I made a little chart and wrote down how many gallons I bought, the price per gallon, and how many miles I drove.

Originally it was just to see if I was getting anywhere near the EPA estimate for gas mileage. However I got into the habit of doing it and kept writing the info down after each fillup. :o

Now those little charts are heartbreaking to look at. Gas was $1.59/gallon for that first tank of gas . . .

I intended to drive all the way up to Death Valley to see all the desert wildflowers, but the price of gas at $2.34 per gallon stopped me. On the way back through the Imperial Valley yesterday, gas was $2.39/gallon, at the cheap stations.  :o

I paid $45 to fill my tank yesterday. Ouch.

I'd pay that even if gas was only $1.07 a gallon! :D

My Suburban has a 42 gallon tank :D

I really couldn't care less how much gas costs in the United States. We should all be paying $4/gallon anyway. As a society we spend WWWWAAAAAYYYY too much time worrying about the price of gas.

Clip a few coupons each time to you go grocery shopping and you'll more than cover the cost of rising gas prices. Buy and install some fluoresent blubs and you'll cover the cost of your gas with bulb replacement and electricity savings.

It's really not a big deal.

You obviously don't have a fixed income . . . and don't live 15 miles from the nearest grocery store. :(

The high price of gasoline affects many people. My neighbor is a cab driver. The rate he can charge is fixed so to take home the same amount of money he did two years ago, he has to work many more hours.

Clip a few coupons each time to you go grocery shopping and you'll more than cover the cost of rising gas prices. Buy and install some fluoresent blubs and you'll cover the cost of your gas with bulb replacement and electricity savings.

It's really not a big deal.

Been using the flourecent bulbs for 10 years and they are great - been clipping coupons my whole life and they don't come close to covering the extra $15 per week I am spending on Gas. Having said that - it is the sharp increase over the last 5 weeks that hurts so much - Was $1.79 per gallon here on Feb 28 - now it is $2.28. A big pain in such a short time.

It's actually been pretty reasonable in western pennsylvania lately.

We actually live right next to the local sunoco regional filling place. They have gas coming in on pipes that goes into trucks to all the sunocos in the area. Generally the prices are a bit lower than the rest of the area, but we're up to around $2.13 lately..