Ftf

GT-2

Sometimes.

For some the FTF is a rush of adrenaline. Sometimes there is a cool FTF prize.

I have no problems with others going after all the FTFs. Some people work and can't - some people don't work and have the time to go after these.

I wouldn't want to force another to change the way they do things because of my limitations (work, etc.).

If you want to the FTF you may have to just do what they do - check the site often and be ready to go at a moment's notice.

Once again - what's the harm?

And for what it's worth. About two weeks ago I called a couple of friends at 7:00PM to take a 40 mile drive to go after 2 FTFs that were obviously not in our area just because they were so neat that we couldn't wait until the weekend.

I'll go through waves during the warmer weather when I go after the FTFs, but I usually back off after a few to give others a chance. But again, I have no problems with others who don't.

To quote a local here: "I love the smell of fresh tupperware in the morning" :D

Would you really feel like you EARNED the FTF if the only reason you got it was because the other local "backed off"? If you want a FTF, get out there and BEAT THE OTHER GUY TO IT.

Kinda like those feel-good awards they give to every single kid in the class these days? Oh yea, I'd sure be proud of that 23rd place trophy!

Same thing with FTF. How satisfying can it possibly be to claim FTF if all the other cachers let you find it first?

What's the issue here? Some people are FTF junkies, others arent.

A cache gets placed.. A FTF junkie checks the site frequently. If you don't , you may lose out.

I second what Mopar said.

If you want a FTF, check the site 50000 times a day, as soon as a new one pops up, go get it.

I have been to get my share of FTFs over the 16 months that is how long I have been retired and have the time. If you want to get a FTF, you have to check for any new caches every few hours and be ready to leave 24/7. There have been times that i have waited for a day or two on a new cache and I still got the FTF.

They can be gotten, but you have to be ready.

Edit to add: Trying to be FTF can also mean being first DNF when a cache has been listed with bad coordinates ( I have had this happen a few times)

I came accross another cacher trying for a FTF once at 2AM, we could not find it, later we learned that the brother of the person had placed the cache stolen the cache before it was listed.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I've never understood what the big deal about FTF was.

I don't like inexperienced caches. I like a cache that's been around the block and knows what it's doing.... :D

Seriously, I do much prefer caches that have been out a while and have lot of "history" around them.

I think the standard arguements for FTF junkies are that you beat people and are FIRST (but it's a hobby, not a game... right?) and that it's the only way you can assure that you found it like the hider intended it (unless they haven't worked all of the bugs out - and I see that happening a lot. YOu're just as likely to find it as the hider intended it after a maintenance visit).

sd

If you really want a first to find why not try to find one of the caches that has been posted for awhile yet noone has gone to find it. (maybe its a further drive or a higher difficulty cache) I think most states have at least one or two that have been posted for awhile and still haven't been found. :D

I feel your pain. We have a cacher in our area that does the same. BUT, I find it challenging. I have beaten him once or twice and it was a rush not only to get FTF but also to know that I beat that particular cacher.

I won't name ahndles but his rhymes with JrsK9. :D

Seriously, dude caches his butt off. To the victor goes the spoils.

X

I took a look at the OP's finds. I might have missed something, but I don't see any where he was even CLOSE to FTF. Do you REALLY expect all the local cachers to wait a month before finding a new cache to give you a "fair" chance at FTF????

I'm sorry, but if you really want a FTF, you can't wait 2-3 weeks after it's listed.

I am not much for the FTF thing myself, but around here if you want a FTF you had better get out there in the first 6-12hrs after it's listed; tops. Many new caches have several finds in the first 2-5hrs. Sorry, but you're just gonna have to work harder then 2 weeks if you want a "fair chance" at a FTF.

I took a look at the OP's finds. I might have missed something, but I don't see any where he was even CLOSE to FTF.  Do you REALLY expect all the local cachers to wait a month before finding a new cache to give you a "fair" chance at FTF????

I'm sorry, but if you really want a FTF, you can't wait 2-3 weeks after it's listed.

I am not much for the FTF thing myself, but around here if you want a FTF you had better get out there in the first 6-12hrs after it's listed; tops. Many new caches have several finds in the first 2-5hrs. Sorry, but you're just gonna have to work harder then 2 weeks if you want a "fair chance" at a FTF.

You just have to be ready to be first, a good number of my FTFs have been between 10PM and 2AM. If your want a FTF you need to be ready, if your not ready some else will be.

a4ec764f-a1ca-4e03-b614-7e27ffb3487b.jpg

Some times you even get to me the local police see the link

Oh-Tay

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Just a question for some of you higher logged folks,,,There is a cacher in my area that has logged just about every FTF in the entire area and has never backed off to let others try for a FTF,,,is this common practice????

I got a guy like that around here. Except he has taken the "it's not about the numbers" thing to the extreme and no longer posts "finds" on the website. He has a premium account, and he still takes the time to write about his journey on the cache page, but he does it under a "note". Imagine my dismay when I pull up my bookmarked pocket query results page for my cahes-within-100-miles-with-no-found-logs query, and see a new cache, only to click on it and see

So-and-so posted a note:

Found this cache around noon. Took a while to find parking. Was a nice hike. . .

I don't understand his motivation to post the log, but make it a note instead of found. Unless it's just for the ability to say "I am so not about numbers, that I don't even know how many caches I have found!"

To each his own i guess

There was a time when I got tired of being FTF and would wait a week to find the cache. But I got tired of not caching and stoped waiting. In time we got some folks who rush out for the FTF's and most of the time I don't worry about it. But ever now and then I ace them just for kicks.

Translated. Enjoy your local cachers. Flip them s*** for being cache sluts. Have fun.

Edited by Renegade Knight

What's not fair? The cache is listed and is available to everyone at the same time. That's about as fair as it can get. The fact that this guy is beating everyone to the caches is a testament to his persistence. If you want to find it first, you're going to have to beat him at his game.

Look at it this way, if you were in a race and the fastest guy slowed down and let you win, would the trophy mean as much to you?

Yeah, find some mystery puzzle that's so hard no-one can solve it. I've got a FTF that way and I'm still savoring it...how satisfying!

Like many, I work and also am too lazy to rush out so my chance of getting FTF is not good. I managed to get a few when the timing is right - like a new cache popped up near work just before lunch...Go Grab! :rolleyes:

Usually there are several new caches and if you want to get right out there, figure which he will go to first and then hit the other one that isn't as easy. We just got two FTFs the day after they were listed, no prize but we wanted to cache, they were there and it added a little excitment to know we were first. No tracks leading in, no clues in logs. We were 2nd on two others and that was fine by us. But if it is that important, get out there and work at it. There is one, a week old that is up in the mountains and still not found. Head over this way and you can get several.

I don't understand the whole FTF frenzy. I really don't care if I'm 50TF. Sometimes the FTF is also the first to find the cache has a problem like being on private property or that the coords are bad. Or to be FTDNF.

That said, it sounds like you need to do your homework if you want that FTF. Watch the site closely and be ready to rush out for the hunt.

Edit to add: Trying to be FTF can also mean being first DNF when a cache has been listed with bad coordinates ( I have had this happen a few times)

Excellent point! I spent a lot of time on a cache without a FTFer on it, with exactly that problem. Negative reinforcement (eg "pain") is an excellent instruction tool with me, and I resolved no more FTF. Different strokes et al, but I prefer to let a new cache rack up a couple of finds before I hunt it. In fact, based upon last weekend, I may let a couple of WEEKS go by to ensure the cache is well-thought out and planned to avoid being muggled.

Available time to cache for me is a precious commodity, and if I get a chance to cache, I at least want the cache to be there (I am not fearful of a DNF on a cache that is there).

Since being burned early on, I have gotten a couple of FTFs. They have to be REALLY convenient and/or on the way to doing something or caching already. I don't get heartbroken if one of the many local FTF hounds gets there first.

So, I don't understand the OP's point of view. If there's a local FTF addict snagging the FTFs, at least the cache coordinates have been verified! :rolleyes:

You need to learn to dance if you want to go to the ball. If you want FTFs you basically have to be retired. Not sure why your making such a big deal of it. I think some folks hype it up so much that you get caught up in the synthetic nature of it that you lose site of what is going on. Most folks taht get FTF are retired and have on life, LOL I have a few but was just lucky. So if you want them then get up at 0600 and start checking the cache page for your state to see if there are any new listing thek keep doing it for the next 2 or 3 hours. I waa gettng ready for the day once my friend was coming at 0900 and I did one last check of the webpage and there were a new cache so I called him and told him to come asap so we made it. I guess it is just part of the GAME. So learn to play it and the ruls say..... O'yeah there are NO rules for FTF other then just be the first.

cheers

Just a question for some of you higher logged folks,,,There is a cacher in my area that has logged just about every FTF in the entire area and has never backed off to let others try for a FTF,,,is this common practice????

First come, first served. The First to Find or FTF is a compelling part of the game for some. (all but a select few get over it! :rolleyes: ) Beat the person there for one cache and you will be fine.

Just thought of a NEW rule you can not have a FTF with less then 100 caches. Sheeeeees Why is it important???? Does it give you an special smily face or what????? O'well just a thought.

cheers

:ph34r::lol::rolleyes:

So if you do get a FTF with less than 100 finds, you can't sign the logbook until another cacher comes by? It maybe minutes, hours, or days - bring you camping gear! :ph34r:

Perhaps it's the massive amounts of medication that I'm on, but this thread just seems to keep getting stranger.

If you find a cache, you find a cache. Black and White. Simple as that.

The number of finder you are, FTF, 285744385733284th TF, whatever, is just a numbered finder.

If you want FTFs you basically have to be retired

Not necessarily. I know of geocachers who will wake up at 4 a.m. to nail a FTF, then head off to work.

Exactly, I know a cacher that gets most of the FTFs in the eastern part of the San Francisco bay area, he just leaves for work hours early or go's out late at night. I havn't gotten any FTFs in his area :rolleyes: , and I do not think he has any in my area. :ph34r:

Oops doulble post, Any way, Just to add, A new cache came up just a few miles from me about 18 hours ago, I have just been to lazy to get it, and no one else has bothered to go for it and I am in an area with lots of cachers that like getting a FTF.

Go Figure :rolleyes:

Edited by JohnnyVegas

We have a few FTF junkies in my area. I've hidden two caches so far; in both cases, I watched the weather and hid them just before a major snowstorm. On the last one, the FTF came from nearly 2 hours away and trudged through knee-deep snow to get to it, and snag the 1881 silver dollar I left as the FTF prize. That poor sap earned it! And he was not one of our typical FTF guys, so I was pretty happy to see someone new in the area.

Not necessarily. I know of geocachers who will wake up at 4 a.m. to nail a FTF, then head off to work.

I would bet that a large percentage of our first to finds are ones that I got on my way in to work.

--Marky

We have a few FTF junkies in my area.

We have more than a few in our area. Recently, I hid a cache and submitted it from the cache site on my sidekick phone. It happened to be a slow day and our local approver approved it about 30 minutes after I submitted it. The cache was found 90 minutes from when I hid it And within 2 hours of when I had hid it, I think it had 4 finders. That's just crazy. :rolleyes::ph34r: It's no wonder that I don't get FTFs anymore.

--Marky

I would bet that a large percentage of our first to finds are ones that I got on my way in to work.

--Marky

That usually happens here, too..

My side of town, there's a cacher that just leaves a few minutes early en route to work or will stop on the way home.

I got a guy like that around here. Except he has taken the "it's not about the numbers" thing to the extreme and no longer posts "finds" on the website.

Hey, I know that guy! I'd have about 30 more FTFs if he wasn't around!

Regardless of the note/number thing, the FTFs are only fun if you have others around that are also going for the FTF. The cacher you're referring to makes the FTF find more exciting for me, as if he and a few others weren't around, the lack of competition would make the FTF meaningless (ok, some say it's meaningless anyway, but we have fun w/ it).

There have been times around our area where caching was slow and a cache could sit for a month without anyone going after it. We never hurried to get a FTF during those times. Being FTF is definitely more fun when there is some friendly competition going on in the area.

Yes, a person being retired does have an advantage in getting FTFs. It's not a necessity though, as a cache can get listed at most any time of the day. Before work, after work, etcc,,,, I have made a few on the way into work! :)

Like others, most of my FTFs were enroute to work, or afterwork. I leave for work at 0540, so there aren't that many cachers up (at least in my area). If I notice a new cache placed with 25 miles of my house, on my day off, I will only go after it if their is something I value like Jeep TBs or a nice FTF prize.

After 39 FTFs I really don't get too excited anymore. I find it very amusing to read the logs of new cachers, who get their 1st FTF. It is really funny when others write in their online logs that they were surprised to beat me to FTF.

ah, who really cares. I don't even really want to be ftf, after all, there would be no little trampled paths all about to try to decipher (they don't always really help). :)

anyway, here in sd county, there are a few that do have the liberty of going at a moment's notice, etc. they must think of nothing else. I wonder sometimes, and then I get back to work. :D

don't let it get to you.

It's all about YOUR geocaching and what aspec of the game is important/fufilling to you. Some people like the numbers, some the FTF, some the hunt, and others the fellowship. If FTF is something that appeals to you then follow the advice posted here and check often and be ready to go.

MY favorite thing to laugh at is the people who write that they're FTF in their log. JIMINY! if that's your signature at the top of the page, we know who was first.

why sure, i was pretty excited for my first handful of FF's. now i don't mention it. i don't know how many FFs i have because the one time i got curious and started counting i decided early on that i didn't want to know.

you can count for yourself if you want. oh, wait... you can't. even if you physically go to all the caches i've found on their first day, i may have signed the second page in the book. it's enough for me to know i was there first. if you found it after me and don't mention that i was there first in your log, your secret is safe with me. nobody has to know, and you KNOW i won't get around to looging until weeks later unless i'm the only one to find it on the first day. i have a three week backlog in my logging, so unless i need to let people know not to rush out for the FF, why should i bother to log quickly?

i'm first enough of the time that when i get the FF, i behave as if it's happened before; spiking the ball just makes you, in my opinion, look like a rookie.

and fair? i didn't know we were taking turns. what's good about it if we all take turns? what's the point of being first?

like, duh.

wait! MY team didn't win the state championship this year. it was OUR turn. that's not fair.

if you want to play with the big dogs, learn how to use an alarm clock and keep your bag packed.