Search Based On Coordinates And Radius

Keiko's buddies

From the main geocaching.com page, click on "Hide and Seek a Cache"

About halfway down the page, there is the option to put in coordinates. But as far as I know, there isn't anyway other that pocket queries to actually specify a distance from those coordinates.

Exactly....postal codes won't work in this instance. The closest postal code address is 6 Km away. I don't see why the geocaching.com folks couldn't make the distance box variable like they do in other sections. (hint, hint)

I guess I don't understand why the range has to be so procise that you can't use a zip code :rolleyes:

If you really need to be that close you'll have to send in a check and get a paid membership to run a pocket query. sorry I cannot be of more help.

I do have a premium membership and know how to do pocket queries, the trouble is the output of a pocket querie is not viewable by other cachers. I want to place a link on our website (migeocachers.org) that shows all active caches in our caching area. The center of this area is a set of coordinates that do not correspond to a nearby postal code. The closest one is at least 6 km away.

Yay! It works, sort of ,I think. Is there a way to filter out inactive (archived)caches? I am physically going to this location tomorrow so I can get an accurate decimal fix. Taking a reading via Mapsource/Canadian Topo isn't nearly close enough. Thanks for everyone's help on this.

I take it the minus sign for west longitude indicates West but no sign in front of the latitude implies a plus, or North?

I take it the minus sign for west longitude indicates West but no sign in front of the latitude implies a plus, or North?

Yep. In the world of decimal degrees, N and E are positive, S and W are negative.

Another approach might be to set up want you want in a pocket query, view the preview and copy the URL from that page.  I'm not sure if there's a time lift on how long the URL would remain valid.

The URLs are constant - so bookmark them.

Well, it looks as if both methods may work. The "seek" URL definately works but also returns inactive (archived) caches, which I don't want but could live with. The "pocket query" method may work. As a premium member, when I click on the link that points to the query it works fine. I don't know if it works for a non-premium member. So if a regular user sees this post could they go to:Mid Island Geocaching and click on the bold number in the main text area and see if it works? Please post a reply here.

Thanks!

;) I don't think it's going to work.

If I'm signed in I get the following

Sorry, your account does not own this Pocket Query.

If I'm not signed in I get

Sorry, you are not logged in.

same here

also, would this be a violation of 'don't share gpx' stuff? :(

Well, I kind of thought that's what would happen. Pocket query results are for Premium members so I would expect that would happen. I will go with the "seek" method and will have to put up with having archived caches displayed, unless someone knows the URL command to filter them out.

i think the problem is that your linking to a PQ directly....

And you keep saying archived!!! ;)

Strangely enough the two types of searches produce different results. The Pocket query result produces 317 caches and the "seek" method produces 249. I used the same coords for both methods, both were in decimal format, and both had a radius of 53 miles. Some caches were not included in the result done by the "seek" method, for instance the "Reststop cache by Redgreen" which is only .2 Km from the center point is not there. I have made a couple of links to buth these searche types on our home page here.

So if any of you Premium Members want to do some brain twisting and help me sort this out you can link to it there.

Remember that we can't look at your pocket query results. I think we can see the setup page for your query as per this post by Jeremy Irish so

Copy and paste the URL of your query and other Premium Members can look at it, but not edit it.

I think you've got some criteria set on your query so it doesn't return the same results as the "seek" method

Edited by PDOP's

I copied the PQ and saved it as one of mine with your exact same criteria. The results I got were 319 caches. I then went out and did a radius search from the geocaching.com/seek page and came up with 329 caches. In looking through the pages there were about 10 that were inactive (I just did a rough count).

When I went back to the Pocket Query and removed the "Is Active" limitation, I and previewed the query, I saw 329 caches. The exact same amount as if I did a live query on the distance. So the numbers matched - exactly.

This sounds like a really basic question, and I don't want to insult you at all by saying this, but I just want to be sure. When you're looking at the results of the pocket query, you're previewing the pocket query online, not looking at an offline GPX file through Watcher or GSAK, right?

Otherwise - I can't duplicate the problem.

My Pocket Query does exactly the same thing as yours. It is the radius search that is wierd. If I use the URL:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...758&dist=53&f=1

It returns 249 hits.

If I use the URL:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...4.84758&dist=53

it returns the same results as the pocket query. I just drop the term &f=1 from the URL. I dont know what this term does though, I just copied it from your original reply to this post.