Pinned Topics

Divine

The pinned topics on the top of the first page of the Nordic and Baltic countries forum are taking more than the half of the screen area, when I click myself into the first page. Yet there seems to be very little or no discussion at all on many of them. On a quick thought, Where's In A Name?, Owner / Maintainer Requests and the FAQ and guideline -threads seem to be appropriate when pinned, but I'd rather have the modification report threads unpinned.

The Finnish modification report thread (which I find very useful) is so active, that it'll stay on top by itself anyway, and as the other ones are practically unused, I don't see a reason to keep them pinned and blocking the view from more active threads. Those who know them and want to use them, can certainly find them with the search feature. So I'd say unpin at least the modification report threads.

Edited by Divine

Most of the pinned topics should be unpinned. It is confusing to get a long list of inactive topics on the top because we are mainly looking at those topics which are actively used. Even unpinned, all topics would appear on the top if they are active.

I would suggest that all the pinned topics should be combined into a couple of topics with links further to the actual threads. For example, there could be a topic called "Guidelines" and then links to various policies, guidelines, and the FAQ page. Further, there could be a topic called "Modification reports" and then links to the reports of each country. Finally, the "Where's in a name" topic could simply be unpinned because it will jump up the list if someone asks something, anyway.

Actually, I think that updates to the threads would be better noticed if the topics were unpinned. Now, I just skip that section of the screen because I know that they are pinned topics and not recently updated topics.

Most of the pinned topics should be unpinned. It is confusing to get a long list of inactive topics on the top because we are mainly looking at those topics which are actively used. Even unpinned, all topics would appear on the top if they are active.

I would suggest that all the pinned topics should be combined into a couple of topics with links further to the actual threads. For example, there could be a topic called "Guidelines" and then links to various policies, guidelines, and the FAQ page. Further, there could be a topic called "Modification reports" and then links to the reports of each country.

Actually, this is an elaborate and good idea.

Finally, the "Where's in a name" topic could simply be unpinned because it will jump up the list if someone asks something, anyway.

I disagree on this, however. I seriously doubt that people would do the search on the topic to find it; they simply would write a new one (which happens every now and then even now). When pinned, it at least has a chance to be noticed by a forum user. OTOH, that would be a minor problem, since this forum is quite quiet anyway and couple of extra 'Where's in a name' topics certainly wouldn't block the whole system. All in all, I'd still keep this topic up there pinned.

Actually, I think that updates to the threads would be better noticed if the topics were unpinned. Now, I just skip that section of the screen because I know that they are pinned topics and not recently updated topics.

Exactly, me too. This is why started this thread.

Could Tahu Nuva or some of his mates please PIN this topic because I think Divine and Mesu have brought up such a good point here that it warrants a place among the pins themselves. Perhaps then it would sooner pass into oblivion and drop completely out of conversation.