How long does one hide a cache

summersong

Some have been around for years...other disappear before the first cacher finds it.

If you are worried about it, read the logs for the cache and see when it was found last. If it's been a while, you might want to take a pass and find one that was found within the last week or so.

stunod_sig.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Eamus Catuli AC145895

That all depends. "More difficult" caches (anything that takes more than a half hour to find) can go months between finds. You'd be missing out on a lot of potentially great caches if you pass those by.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

That's true BrianSnat, but I have to agree with Stunod that a newbie needs a few more finds under their belt before going for the difficult. Eventually, I hope to try them any and all, but for now, I'm still getting my geocaching skills honed and it's easier if I make sure that the cache is highly likely to still exist.

When I grow up, I want as many caches (and posts!) under my belt as Brian icon_wink.gif

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

Originally posted by jarja_grl:

I'm still getting my geocaching skills honed and it's easier if I make sure that the cache is highly likely to still exist.

The more remote caches are far less likely to be plundered by neighborhood humans than the cache that is an easy 200 yards (or less) from the parking lot. Although there is a slightly greater chance that the remote caches may be plundered by some four legged hairy critter. If plundered by a critter you will usually find part of the cache, and be able log a find. (Be ready to CITO the cache.)

Another way to increase the probability that a cache is still there is to hunt one hidden by an experienced geocacher.

... I have to agree with Stunod that a newbie needs a few more finds under their belt before going for the difficult." [/quote

-----------------------------

Yep, jarja_grl, 'specially when your GPSr says your on top of the thing and its 35 (or more) feet away. You gotta get that experience on something fairly easy to find or you may become frustrated and decide on a couch potato sport.

icon_wink.gif

"Today's truth remains valid only as long as it withstands the test of tomorrow's discoveries" - George Hicks