Easy Way To Compress Pictures!

I downloaded Google's free Picassa program, and it is great for photo editing. I have also found that it is a wonderful recourse for compressing pictures you wish to put in a cache log. When in Picassa, you can quickly import pictures from your digital camera, and then click the Export button.

It automatically compresses the file or files you have selected, and makes your large Digital Camera files compatible with posting to the Geocaching gallery.

This program is espically useful when you have multiple pictures to post.

I thought geocaching.com resizes your photo's when you download them.

They do but it takes awhile and, as they say the resizing job isn't very good

Everything take awhile on geocaching.com even with a high speed cable connection. :lol:

Markwell Link

Note: Geocaching.com will now accept file sizes larger than 100K, but the system will reduce them to something more web-friendly. The system also converts all image files to JPG instead of BMP, GIF or other image formats. But since this is a question I am constantly asked in other arenas, I'll leave it up here for posterity.

OMG I"m starting to Markwell people.... :unsure:

I third Irfanview.  I have yet to see a better freeware resizing utility that keeps detail.. even when expanding photos!

One thing I do after resizing (reducing) with Irfan is to sharpen the picture a little. For some reason it appears to lose it's "zip" after resizing. Have you noticed that too?

Edited by Alan2
I third Irfanview.  I have yet to see a better freeware resizing utility that keeps detail.. even when expanding photos!

One thing I do after resizing (reducing) with Irfan is to sharpen the picture a little. For some reason it appears to lose it's "zip" after resizing. Have you noticed that too?

Yes, when that file gets small it starts to loose the sharper points. I usually sharpen just before I begin resizing, and viola! :P

Yes, when that file gets small it starts to loose the sharper points. I usually sharpen just before I begin resizing, and viola! :P

Reducing size in stages helps too!!

(In most any program)

Don't drop down all in one step.

Let's say you have a pic that is 800 pixels wide and you want to reduce it to 300 pixels wide.

Instead of just dropping it all at once, reduce the image in steps of 100 pixels at a time.

You'll defiately see a difference in the end product.

Same if your reducing the DPI !

If your reducing a hgher resolution image taken by a digital camera, the DPI can be anywhere from 300 to 600 DPI.

This is so you can print a clear image.

If you want to use the picture on the web the most common DPI is 72 DPI.

Unless you have a high resolution monitor then that is the most DPI the average monitor will display. Anything higher is just a waste of space on the server.

Small steps, Ellie. Small steps.

D-man :D

Can you compress multiple images at a time with theses other programs?

For batch jobs the "convert" tool from ImageMagick is great. It's a command line program so it can be used in scripting - if you know a little Perl or Python or some other scripting language you can easily write something that downloads the latest pictures from your camera and converts/resizes all of them to a web-friendly format (you could do it automatically when you plug in your camera).

Edited by larsl
For batch jobs the "convert" tool from ImageMagick is great. It's a command line program so it can be used in scripting - if you know a little Perl or Python or some other scripting language you can easily write something that downloads the latest pictures from your camera and converts/resizes all of them to a web-friendly format (you could do it automatically when you plug in your camera).

:rolleyes: I'm not sure if that was a yes or a no.

Can you compress multiple images at a time with theses other programs?

Yes with Irfanview. You can select the compression and even add features such as sharpen all part of a batch process. Good for emailing a bunch of pictures. The main program is about 900K and the plug-ins are about 4M. One feature that's neat when I'm shooting crooked is you can tilt the pciture back to level. Everything is "lossless". It's got too many features to write about. It's free - give it a shot.

I use it in conjuntion with all the image programs I got when I bought my Canon. I use Canon for transferring from camera to computer and for some editing before printing. But Irfamn is just a good all around program for resizing - and its very quick in opening files.