Safety While Geocaching

Chapped Actors

We recently started geocaching. Last week we made our first off-road find. 15 miles down a gravel road that eventually deteriorated to a flat piece of desert. We had a great time and got to see part of the world we never would have seen otherwise. We loved it, but . . .

We had thought in advance about the safety aspects of a hunt like that: using the right transportation, first aid, hiking boots, walking sticks, and cell phones. However, actually being way out in the middle of nowhere raised a question that we had not thought about in advance. Would it be wise for us to carry a weapon with us when we get miles from nowhere as protection against predators (no-legged, four-legged, and two-legged)? Are there rules in the game about carrying guns? Does anyone carry a weapon, and if so what? Has anyone had any related experiences in the field?

Any input on this subject will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Chapped Actors

Would it be wise for us to carry a weapon with us when we get miles from nowhere as protection against predators (no-legged, four-legged, and two-legged)?  Are there rules in the game about carrying guns?  Does anyone carry a weapon, and if so what?  Has anyone had any related experiences in the field?

It's a topic that comes up periodically, as you might imagine. The only rules are your local laws, whatever they might be.

My local firearms laws are quite strict, so I only carry a stick, but I certainly would carry a firearm if allowed. Still, beware the mighty Stick of the Weasel!

The fact that caching sometimes takes you outside the boundaries that are entirely safe is part of the appeal...but, yeah, anything that you can do to think ahead and be prepared is effort well spent.

On top of all other precautions such as a bringing appropriate safety equipment with you, if you know you're going waaaaay off the beaten path in quest of a cache then you shouldn't go alone. Meaning as well as as companions, also have a 2nd vehicle for the group?

And by all means let friends or neigbors know your intended destination & expected return time, so they're aware if go go missing.

depending on state laws, check with the State AG's office and County Sheriffs, NOT the local police, they frequently are not well informed about firearm laws

check state law on open carry

National Parks. NO FIREARMS ALLOWED PERIOD. must be locked in secured storage in vehicle.

www.packing.org for a lot of general information on laws state to state

I carry both a high capacity 9mm and a .357.

Recent data indicates that dog sized animals are more resistant to 9mm than previously thought. some needing 6 or 7 or more shots to incapacitate. (I'm also disabled, so less able to get away in the event of a encounter) the fastest reload is another gun, and if you do run into a pack of feral dogs, more is better (hence both)

They can also be used as signaling devices if you become injured.

best way to find out what you like is go to a range that rents handguns. try a bunch of differnt ones. find out whats comfortable for you. some people have no problem with a .44, others have trouble handleing a .357.

I also can not emphasize TRAINING strongly enough. it's no good to just buy a handgun and then never learn how to use it. the much maligned NRA has been teaching firearms safety and use for over 100 years. you don't have to join, but they are good at training. get it.

There are a lot of good discussions in the forums about this issue, what to take in survival gear, what guns are too heavy to hike out, etc. Do a search. Since you live near the desert, lots of water, advising people where you're going, etc is probably more important to save your family's life then a gun. You're more likely to have your car get stuck 15 miles from the highway then get attacked by a couple of desperados. :blink:

Plenty of good advice here already. Plenty more threads if you search the forums for "guns" or "firearms".

A gun is something you hope you never need; just like a seatbelt or a fire extinguisher. Also just like them, you need to have it, know how it works, and we willing and able to use it for it to save your life.

Make sure you are legal and well trained both mentally and with the use of your firearm. Consider other non-lethal forms of defense as well as first choice to a firearm, or even instead of one if you decide you are uncomfortable with carrying a gun.

I see you have already cached in 3 different states. Make sure you are legal and know the laws for all states you cache in. Like someone else mentioned, Packing.org is the best place online to find info on state laws and reciprocal agreements.

The most important thing to remember, no matter what, is this:

The best way to get out of trouble is not to get in it in the first place. Your most important piece of gear while caching is between your ears. Always use that first.

I dunno. I think if I felt like I needed a gun I wouldn't go to that place. :blink:

Replace the word "gun" with "seatbelt" or "airbag".

Replace the word "gun" with "fire extinguisher".

Replace the word "gun" with "first aid kit".

I would hope you don't drive places where you expect to need your seatbelts or airbags, but you still have them.

I would hope you don't expect to need a fire extinguisher in your home, but I hope you have one.

I would hope you never need a first aid kit while caching, but you should have one close by.

Safety is a legitimate concern. You should research your target cache in advance and bring adequate water and appropriate clothing for the elements. If you are going to a truly remote area, it’s a good idea to inform someone where you are going and when you plan on returning.

I recommend against going anyplace where you need a firearm (if such a place exists). I was in the infantry and I am an very knowledgeable and comfortable with firearms, but it's beyond me why anyone would feel the need to pack heat at anytime* let alone while geocaching. Has anyone actually encountered a situation while geocaching where they had to brandish or discharge a weapon?

* well, maybe if you're a police officer, bounty hunter, repoman, or wild west gunslinger.

Just remember if you carry to be conciously aware that you're carrying. There's a local cacher who carries and she's so used to it that she tends to forget she's carrying - which will be bad if she ever gets caught with her gun when she's in an area where she's not allowed to have it.

Has anyone actually encountered a situation while geocaching where they had to brandish or discharge a weapon?

I have done some caching and some hiking in the West Desert west of Sat Lake. I have shot coyotes before when they stalk in and get too close. There are packs of them and when you take out the leader, the rest bale out. I feel there are few instances where a firearm or even a weapon is needed while caching, but would not to be in one without one if I ever encountered such a time.

Not to make this a firearm discussion, but as others have said research the area you are caching and remember the Boy Scout motto.

Had to throw in my two bits. Having worked for both a county and city law enforcement, either should be well versed in gun laws for their respective areas. Some cities will be more restrictive than counties. I carry quite often and have never had to lwt my carry be known. With all the drug activity in remote area's, where I like to cache, I just want to be on the safe side. And to reiterate a quote that is very near and dear to me, " I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."

I would prefer to carry pepper spray when I cache for protection from uncontrolled animals. Unfortunately in Massachusetts pepper spray is considered a firearm and it costs hundreds of dollars to go through the permit process. When I have a problem with a unleashed dog acting aggressively, I try and identify the owner and file a report with the local animal control officer. It will give local law enforcement a better idea of what they are dealing with in cases like this Dog Attack.

Or this horrible case of a Newborn Mauled by Family Dog.

Caching is no more dangerous than any other outdoor activity. Did you feel the need to be armed when you went out and about in the past?

You're far more likely to encounter mechanical breakdown or road hazard than to ever need a firearm. Personal safety entails a whole lot more than just being prepared to shoot that which scares you.

Letting someone know where you'll be. Avoiding areas you can't get out of. Never going it alone. It's amazing what following a few simple common sense rules can do.

I haven't cached extensively. I have hunted extensively. If you go into any national forest, wilderness, or any open area where people are scarce... Coyotes, mountain lions, and people with mobile meth labs are all common predators in California. They are dangerous and will stop at nothing to protect what they love most. especially that last one.

Coyotes, mountain lions, and people with mobile meth labs are all common predators in California. They are dangerous and will stop at nothing to protect what they love most. especially that last one.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I recommend against going to a place that dangerous, armed or otherwise. :(

Coyotes, mountain lions, and people with mobile meth labs are all common predators in California. They are dangerous and will stop at nothing to protect what they love most. especially that last one.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I recommend against going to a place that dangerous, armed or otherwise. :(

Considering meth labs are parked at rest stops and no-so-rural woods, and mountain lions stalk suburban neighboorhoods and parks, you might want to recheck where you go caching and hiking at. Always be prepared. Then again.. maybe that's just in California.

You miserable sacks of fat and gristle, if you think your little pee-shooters will save you in my lair, I encourage you to try. Many have come in now, a few have even stroked the hair of Mr. Thomas, many more have wailed in horror in the deepness of the bog. I only fear that I may chip a tooth on your cap gun.

There is always a question of protection when geocaching. One of the best safety precautions is to never cache alone. Especially, if you will be out of cell phone range or you are a diabetic. A basic first aid kit and first aid training is a must. This applies to caching anywhere.

If you are going to be in a wilderness area far from cell phone access and civilization one needs some basic survival training and equipment. That includes area topo maps and a basic magnetic compass and the knowedge of how to use them. It might include an AR-7 survival rifle in 22 caliber. It is good for small game and can mean the difference in wilderness surival. Rifles are generally not a problem to local authorities as are handguns. They will also handle most small animals and a 22 is quite lethal even with two legged critters. One does need to be able to hit something aimed at so practice and firearm safety training is essential.

Remember, basic survival and caching techniques include avoiding contact with muggles including those who are potential threats. If you see an armed citizen in the woods not during hunting season, common sense tells me to quietly give up the search for that cache and retreat. Coming across a field of Cannibis is probably a good indication to forget going after that cache too. Don't investigate strange smelling houses or shacks either.

Now, if you going into big game country where there are bear, mountain lion and wolf such as in Alaska, it might be useful to substitute a 30-06 rifle for the AR-7. Remember, the rifle is for survival not for war with drug manufacturers and dealers. You don't need an AK-47 semi-automatic and several fully loaded magazines to go caching. If you think the area requires that, find another cache to hunt.

Handguns are useful for defense but unless you can hold less than a 3 inch group at 25 yards, a handgun will not be very useful for taking game for survival. Handguns also have legal restrictions and permit requirements in many places. Generally, unless you are a very experienced pistol shot with a concealed carry permit, you are probably safer leaving your pistol at home.

That is my $0.02 worth and my opinions come from a half century of wilderness experience with firearms and being a certified fiearms instructor with a permit to carry. Cache on - safely.

MM

Fairly new cacher, fairly old shooter, first time poster.

I have a Carry Concealed License and almost always wear a gun. I've not had to shoot anyone since Vietnam, but I have had to pull my gun twice. Both were attempted carjackings. Neither succeeded, but both bad guys left the scene at high speed and with cue-ball sized eyes. The next one could be while I'm out caching.

These days, there are other types of "cashers" out there: those who want to separate you from yours being the bad kind. Where I cache, there are also rattlesnakes, mountain lions, feral dogs and cats, rabid skunks and who knows what else besides the mobile meth labs and pot growers. And this is considered one of the safe states!

Just a week ago, I shot a rattlesnake just a few feet from a cache I was seeking.

I carry a first aid kit, survival kit and other emergency gear when I cache. A gun just fits the same description. But if I knew or suspected I WOULD need one, I wouldn't go!

(Hey Torry - yeah, I have seen the elephant: 300 combat mission as a FAC)