Batteries?

Guest kellytklp

Guest peter

quote:
Originally posted by kellytklp:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a particular brand of rechargeable batteries for a GPS?

I'd recommend getting NiMH cells with just a little less capacity than the most available. These generally cost significantly less and last just about as long. At the moment, 1600 mA-hr AA cells are readily available at good prices. http://www.thomas-distributing.com has given me good service and has decent prices on batteries and chargers (I use a Maha C204F which works on both AC and 12 VDC).

Guest k2dave

g the backlight seems to make a bigger diffrence w/ the alks. I also have an very old set of NiCd's that I got about 4 hrs.

Also a side note - remember that buddy L battery charger (that recharges non rechargable alks.) Well using that I got 22 h - all the recharging (you have to recharge them before you deplete them) only gained me 3 h.

Guest gstrong1

I like the Panasonic 1600 Ni-MHs. Seem to hold up great in my III Plus,Vista & MAP76. I've also got Rechargeable alkalines & they don't seem to last as long per charge as the Panasonics.The alks. start out showing a higher rate of charge on the GPS battery meter, because they are 1.5 v, but they seem to deplete faster.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest HomeChicken

Me. I bought 12 green label AA NiMh on eBay with a charger. Can't beat eBay's prices.

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

placed one cache Here

--HomeChicken

Guest jbwcpa

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

I use 1550 and 1600 mAH Nimh. That charger (Mana c204f) is great - recharged in about 3-5 hrs - it allows conditioning.

It's a MAHA charger, not a Mana. It's a great charger but it doesn't come from heaven.

Guest k2dave

quote:
It's a MAHA charger, not a Mana. It's a great charger but it doesn't come from heaven.

[blushing] Thanks for correcting me [/blushing]

I got 2 sets of Nimh batts (8 in all) from ebay - good price (including charger) - but the costco is a great deal too (and the panasonic does seem to eek out slightly longer run times maybe 30 min - but it's a very crude test (since i use the backlight varring amounts of times.

Also the green batts are indrustial (and might have the + tips soldered on). They Might not be exactly the same size as standard AA's and under some conditions could expand slightly (any battery has this possibility) but if it is larger then specs it could damage your gps - most likely this won't happen.

I recommend a min of 2 sets (8 total if your gps takes 4 and 4 total if it takes 2) Plus extras if there are other items you will use them with.

quote:

Just want to add that you don't want to have to many Nimh batts because they will self discharge.

I suppose they'd be OK if you were planning on using and charging them every other day or so, but you sure wouldn't want to be caught out in the field with self-discharged NiMH cells!

MP3 players and digital cameras: yes

GPS receivers: probably not

Regards...

Scott

Guest Chris Juricich

I just bought a set of eight NiMH batteries and a recharger. Hopefully it'll do the trick and be cheaper than buying AAs all the time. I also need batteries for my digital camera, so it does double duty.

Oops. Gotta put the lasagna in!

Guest k2dave

quote:
but you sure wouldn't want to be caught out in the field with self-discharged NiMH cells!

MP3 players and digital cameras: yes

GPS receivers: probably not

Good point but...

Self dischage will take somem life out of a set but will have some left. But more importantaly - one set should be in the gps the other should be at home charged - waiting to charge or charging. Your backup set should be alks. - perf 2 sets one new and the other one you have used when your gps Nimh batts ran out. Actiually I find myself not using my backup set that much since the Nimh last long enough for a full day and you can recharge them back to full when you return. I still would use alks (or lithium) for overnight hikes or very long day hikes.

Nimh should be great for the camera too.

Guest jbwcpa

quote:

I got 2 sets of Nimh batts (8 in all) from ebay - good price (including charger) - [/b]

I just bought the Maha Charger that k2dave was talking about with 4 1600 mAH Nimh batteries thanks to k2dave's advice and a little additional research. I paid $29 on ebay. The online stores wanted $40 - $45. I can't wait to get it.