South Carolina Geocoins????

kg4kpg

When and where? Most other states are going strong with them. Are there any yet, can anyone submit a design? I have gc.com stuff(patches, decals), I'd like to see state stuff made. Walking stick medallions would be nice from every state i visit. gc.com tag on top then every state I hunt in below it. Auto quality decals, coins. If I had the resources I would do it but I'm out of the country for a while.

Thanks,

Chris

I asked the same question in Indiana. With a lot of help, we are putting together a design. One thing that we have been told, if we skecthout an idea, a lot of the coin companies have graphic support and can turn that sketch into a solid design.

The Utah cachers have an association and they are putting something together as a group. Idaho did it by committee, Michigan, etc. Check out the Alaska thread.

Good Luck

Speaking from experience, since I am in Utah and part of that organization. You need to have someone that is willing to take the ball and run. It is a big commitment to put together but if you are as passionate as I was about getting them done then you should have no problem.

My recommendation would be to do your research so you get a feel of what is out there and what can be done. Do you have an organization for your home town/state? Or are you going to front the cost of the whole project? I Put together a proposal broken down to the pennies of what it would cost and submitted it to UTAG ( www.utahgeocachers.com ) for their backing and got the go ahead.

Good luck and I hope to be purchasing some new coins from you soon, In fact put me down for 4 coins. That will help you get the orders going.

Damenace

Unless you have a local or stage geocaching organization, I recommend "just do it." Working on a coin up here in Alaska is actually serving as a catalyst for more Event Caches, talk of organizing one or more regional groups, etc. We had 30 cachers show up for the inaugural "Interior Alaska Cachers Anonymous" Event Cache last Saturday, which far exceeded our expectations.

If you check out the Alaska Coin Thread in the Northwest forums, you'll see how much enthusiasm there is for coins. We've gotten a minor amount of grief about not having a design out yet, but we just started this concept three weeks ago, so you may want to develop a design first, then post.

It's been a fun process and it's pulled a lot of cachers together up here. Drop me a line if you want more details of what's worked and what hasn't. Pepper and Moun10bike have also been most helpful.

I don't live in SC, but I can start it if you like. I am doing my own coin now and have talked with most of the major companies. If nobody wants to do it, I will get them made and sell them. Best thing for design is to start a thread and put the ideas out there. Many talented people in the GC arena and they do some good drawings as well. Let me know.

The Bill is to not allow geocaching only in certain places (or I misread it):

TO AMEND THE CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976, BY ADDING SECTION 16-17-605 SO AS TO DEFINE THE TERMS "GEOCACHE", "GEOCACHING", AND "LETTERBOXING", TO PROVIDE THAT IT IS UNLAWFUL TO ENGAGE IN GEOCACHING OR LETTERBOXING IN CEMETERIES, ARCHEOLOGICAL SITES, OR ON THE HISTORIC PROPERTIES OF THE STATE, AND TO PROVIDE A PENALTY.

It appears that it will only make it illegal in Cemeteries, Archeological Sites or on Historic Properties of the State. I can understand those restrictions, but I did not

read they were outlawing geocaching.

Other's view?

I have been getting flak about saying I would produce a coin in a state that I don't live in. If SC cachers don't want me to do it, I won't. I am trying

to promote caching, no matter what state it is in. It is such a great alternative to the other options that kids, families or adults have to choose from. Enough said.

Coins seem to make people more aware and usually spur more events.

I think most of the folks here are concentrating on getting a bill killed that would severely limit geocaching.

Anyone who thinks this bill is a good idea and wouldn't impact geocaching much doesn't know much about SC caching. We got rid of as many of our cemetery caches without explicit permission as we can identify and lost nearly 10% of the cache population. The cemeteries are a drop in the bucket compared to historic sites as defined in the bill. Two thirds of my caches would be made illegal over night. You start looking at which ones would go and which ones would stay, and you'll start to see the scope of these restrictions. A good 50% of all caches in SC would have to go and that is a conservative number.

Some people complain their state has a large amount of NPS land and is thus offlimits. That is nothing compared to the historic sites and districts that would be off limits to us.

No, we've got much larger fish to fry than a state coin. Some of us have already discussed it and we will be looking into creating a coin, but not until this legislation is behind us.

I have been getting flak about saying I would produce a coin in a state that I don't live in. If SC cachers don't want me to do it, I won't. I am trying

to promote caching, no matter what state it is in. It is such a great alternative to the other options that kids, families or adults have to choose from. Enough said.

Coins seem to make people more aware and usually spur more events.

I will work on some ideas for it. I wont actually be there until February after I return from Iraq but I could care or less where your from, if you want to help out and run with it it's fine by me. We can lynch the nay-sayers. I'll do what I can to help.

Thanks,

Chris