Revised 10 Essentials In Th Pi

Uplink

There was a new version of the classic "10 Essentials" published in the Seattle PI today. Great article by Greg Johnston about The Mountaineer's new revision. Here is the new version:

The Ten Essential Systems

The following list is made up of items that everyone who ventures onto a trail or into the backcountry should have. You could add more, possibly, but these are the basics.

1. Navigation (map and compass)

2. Sun protection

3. Insulation (extra clothing)

4. Illumination (flashlight/headlamp)

5. First-aid supplies

6. Fire

7. Repair kit and tools

8. Nutrition (extra food)

9. Hydration (extra water)

10. Emergency shelter

Nifty Poster from the PI, suitable for framing.

They basicially made the list more general, emphasizing the system rather that the specific item you should have with you. If I were going to add my own 11th system, it would be Communications: Any chance a cell phone will work where I'm headed? FRS radio? EPIRB?

Maybe we don't need all of the above for any given outing, but it's a helpful checklist to consider the contents of our geocaching packs as we head out the door.

Good Stuff...

Edited by Uplink

Thank you for the updated list and link to the article. Many of my caches are off road and it's important to always be prepared. I remember watching a film about outdoor survival when I was a teen called "Mountains Don't Care" We had an outdoor education class in my high school that was very popular. Do schools even offer that now days? I think it should be mandatory living here in the PNW. If it were I'm sure you wouldn't see so many outdoor deaths.

Thank you for the updated list and link to the article. Many of my caches are off road and it's important to always be prepared. I remember watching a film about outdoor survival when I was a teen called "Mountains Don't Care" We had an outdoor education class in my high school that was very popular. Do schools even offer that now days? I think it should be mandatory living here in the PNW. If it were I'm sure you wouldn't see so many outdoor deaths.

I'll agree with that...avidly... and not only for those that live in PNW... All you have to do is look at the result (in regards to this topic) of the earthquakes and Tsunami in Indonesia to know that Outdoor Survival Skills are needed by everybody in the world..