.8th Of A Mile Or Not

Blunt

Ok so the other day getting home from a cache I decided I wanted to hide a Traditional ammo box style cache somewhere in a park/woody area. As I thought I came up with a park that I have gone to play tennis at a few times. It has some nice wooded areas and great places to hide a cache.

I decided to check GC.com to see if there are any caches in the area. I typed in the zip and didn't get any in the park in question. I also went to terraserver.com and typed in the address, and got a map of the area and the coords for the address. I typed the coords in to the search on GC.com and the closest was .8 of a mile away and I could tell from the maps that it wasn't in the park, so I was satisfied.

So the next day I called the park and left a message about geocaching and what it is, and asked thier permission to place a cache in the park. I waited for about three days for an answer and today I got an answer. The park manager said that a couple of weeks ago a group had contacted them about placing a cache in the area.

So know I checked GC.com and nothing is in that area. So I'm a bit confused. Anyone know anything or had a similar experience. Any advice?

Blunt, the other team probably just has not gotten back to them yet, or placed the cache yet (you probably already figured that out.)

Maybe you can show the park people exactly where you'd like to place your cache and inform them about the 0.1 mile guidelines? They may still be open to letting you place yours...

Or you could always ask them for the geocacher's GC ID and send them an email to discuss the situation.

Just some ideas...

Momma Marauder

The coords for a street address of something big like a park may not be the best basis to go on. They could be for the park office right next to the entrance. Nothing beats having a set of coordinates that you took with your GPS. Could you share those with us? Or at least the coordinates you got from Terraserver? Those with a bit of experience in hiding caches can then look at the maps and better assist you.

There are lots of possible explanations here, including:

-- a pending cache submission not yet listed

-- a cache on the far side of the park more than .8 miles from the address coordinates

-- a cache listed on another site (there are less than ten such caches in the OP's home area)

-- an archived cache that the park remembers, but which has gone missing.

A Groundspeak volunteer can tell you if there's a submission pending, or a nearby archived cache.

I went to the front of the park on terraserver then I moved west until I got to around the spot I think I want and clicked there and got the coords they are Lat. 28.48952 Long: -81.48154. I'm going to the park tommorow to scout places and to get some coords. How would I get in contact with an approver in the area of the coords I posted?