Additional Hints

Here is a topic that I have wanted to address...

When a cache is listed, it is becoming an all time problem with the Additional hints reading something like "Too easy for a hint" or "No hints today" or "Email me for a hint if needed" or somthing like that.

Why can't we just leave the additional hints section blank if we think that the cache doesn't need any hints? I have been to caches many times where I can't find it so I waste my time decripting the hints only to uncover something bogus.

After all the section is called "addtional HINTS"

What do YOU think?

Here is a recent discussion relating to this topic.

If I remember right, one of the suggestions about why the not-so-helpful-hints keep turning up is that the cache page submittal kind of walks people in a direction where users feel compelled to put something in the additional hints field.

Something about people's natural tendancy to not be able to leave a question unanswered ...

Banks hints are a good clue that there is no hint. That's my favorite way to see "no hints for you". "Email me for a clue" has got to be the worst ever. I may get a clue and it may be a great clue, but it does me no good when I go home and home is 200 miles away. I may or may not ever make it back before the cache is long gone, or before I forget the clue.

If I remember right, one of the suggestions about why the not-so-helpful-hints keep turning up is that the cache page submittal kind of walks people in a direction where users feel compelled to put something in the additional hints field.

Something about people's natural tendancy to not be able to leave a question unanswered ...

Actually the cache submission form has this to say in the instructions right above the hint field:

"If you don't have a hint, leave it blank."

This assumes that everyone reads and follows all the instructions. :unsure:

If I remember right, one of the suggestions about why the not-so-helpful-hints keep turning up is that the cache page submittal kind of walks people in a  direction where users feel compelled to put something in the additional hints field.

Actually the cache submission form has this to say in the instructions right above the hint field:

"If you don't have a hint, leave it blank."

Huh. Well I'll be darned. There are instructions on that page! And they are very clear, if you read them:

38a71a81-329a-455d-915b-51a7dfb8c6d2.jpg

Funny, when I submitted my last cache, for some reason I thought it looked more like this:

c6dfe62f-f20a-4eb0-890a-f16ac52ee6ea.jpg

Muhc in the same way...

7bfe55b1-f601-4ebf-ba02-c549eb2e891d.jpg

...this assumes that when people check those boxes, they actually mean it.

I had to go back and look at this. But doggone it Markwell, you are right. Thats exactly what it looks like! For some reason, I thought it looked like this:

b2f278b9-a012-4072-8ae7-76c1b08fcec8.jpg

:)

Edited by cache_test_dummies

This was just done a week or two ago. I just decrypt them when I download them, I ma not a purest more pragmatic. Or on my PDA it does it for me. So just decrypt before you head out and have the self discipline to NOT look at the hint. Besides they are mostly useles any ways.

cheers

Here is a topic that I have wanted to address...

When a cache is listed, it is becoming an all time problem with the Additional hints reading something like "Too easy for a hint" or "No hints today" or "Email me for a hint if needed" or somthing like that.

Why can't we just leave the additional hints section blank if we think that the cache doesn't need any hints? I have been to caches many times where I can't find it so I waste my time decripting the hints only to uncover something bogus.

After all the section is called "addtional HINTS"

What do YOU think?

I agree with you I think it is !#24$&^* but that may just be me :blink:

(This feels like deja vu.)

Hmmmm 2 minutes to decode a hint versus an hour searching for a cache. Decoding that hint was a waste of time alright. Maybe when you put it that way, you should give up the sport. :P

Or, take the hint for what it is worth.

1) You don't need a hint to find this cache.

2) This cache is very easy. Keep looking. I know that you can find it if you just give it some time.

Both of these hints from the hiders' perspective are telling you you're thinking too hard and should ease up to figure out where the cache is hidden.

3) I'm not going to make this that easy for you. I said that this was going to be hard.

The difficulty level should correctly reflect this kind of hint.

Instead of considering these as useless, take it as part of the challenge. You'll have less aggravation this way.

As for e-mailing the hider for the hint... well the hider had better make certain s/he's sitting at their computer to answer that immediate need, as well as ensure there is a reliable wireless method out there. Or better yet, remember this hider and don't hunt for their caches again.

So at the risk of making some hard working folks mad who I am sure don't need the additional work load I have to ask.

Why don't the approvers delete this type of hint or let the cache owner know that it isn't needed or desirable to have a "worthless hint"? I would guess that after a "correction" or two that new caches would have helpful hints or no hints at all.

So at the risk of making some hard working folks mad who I am sure don't need the additional work load I have to ask.

Why don't the approvers delete this type of hint or let the cache owner know that it isn't needed or desirable to have a "worthless hint"? I would guess that after a "correction" or two that new caches would have helpful hints or no hints at all.

I've tried deleting useless hints and two things happen sometimes that make me skip that step more often than not:

1. I'm told in a flaming e-mail that the hint had some sort of hidden meaning that I've totally overlooked, like a typographical error that means something if you are actually at the cache site. Like, if it said "U don't need a hint," how was I to know that there was a U shaped tree?

2. I delete a hint like "This is too easy for a hint" or "no hints unless you log a DNF" and then when I go to hunt that cache two months later, I see that it has reappeared.

Well I have seen hints made no sense to me or Julie. A few weeks ago we tried to use a hint the hint was part a song or ryme for very young kids, that last line that contained the hint was left off, We had never heard the ryme so we had no idea what it meant and just posted a DNF explaning or problem with the hint, the owner did send us the answere.

What some cachers may percieve as a good hint, may not be.

Maybe there should be sub hints, If you do not understand the hint, you could check the second hint, if the does not work then the thired hint, if that does not work try the fourth hint, if that does not work try the fifth hint ................ :P

2. I delete a hint like "This is too easy for a hint" or "no hints unless you log a DNF" and then when I go to hunt that cache two months later, I see that it has reappeared.

If I noticed that my hint has disappeared, I might swear at the system that lost a part of my description and just put it back in. Receiving a notice that explains the loss might definitely change that.