Coins

Eye Cacher

:D I have hidden and found coins. I understand that people collect them, but is that the intention? Shouldn't they be traded like bugs? I met a guy who has about 100. He's independently wealthy, has his email set up to play a sound so that it will wake him up so he can look for new caches with coins in them. He'll drive, hike, bike any distance to recover a coin to add to his book. Is this what most people who hide them expect?

Some coins are travel bugs,

Some coins are trade items.

If they don't have a tracking number on them they are trade items.

If they do have a tracking number on them they may or may not be a travel bug. Some numbers are just series numbers like a serial number. Some can be tracked and that's what the owner wants, and some can be tracked but the owner doesn't care about that and it's a trade item.

It is going to depend on the coin and on the owner. When in doubt ask.

What RK said.

There are a couple websites full of signature items, and you might want to keep one of them bookmarked so that if you find some sort of coin, you can check to see what it is if you're not sure.

USA Geocoins and Moun10Bike coins are the only ones trackable on this site, but some are trackable on the traveler tags site.

Of course, I failed to bookmark the site I want to point out to you, so someone else is going to have to link for me...

edited because I forgot about something.

Edited by fly46

Assume that the Coin is a traveller (like a travel bug) and should be moved on to another cache, unless the original owner has said that it can be kept. I have released some coins that had written specific instructions attached that they were travellers and where/how to log them. They promptyly disappeared. I will not be doing that again. Others I put out as prizes in my own caches. I will do that again, with the expectation that a good trade will be made for them.

Sometimes they are in a cache for a FTF. But if someone 'swallows' a coin, they generally have slunk into the either from what i have seen of late. I trade coin for coin or a TB. I still have only been able to find 2 coins that are tracked by GC (& only 2 jeeps)! Been to over 100 caches that have a coin listed, but they are long gone. Now if i could figure how to dump the coin or 'borrowed' TB from a cache page so that others don't think it is still there, than that would be a great information service.

Now if i could figure how to dump the coin or 'borrowed' TB from a cache page so that others don't think it is still there, than that would be a great information service.

The owner of the TB, the owner of the cache and a volunteer approver all have the power to "mark bug missing" which moves it to "Unknown Location" and get's it off the cache listing page.

One of those friendly volunteers saying aprox. the same thing...

Edited by MRCOGEO

We have four canadian geo-coins, 1 of which has been released into the wild. On the website I wrote that the coin could be kept by the finder, but I requested having them log in so that I knew how long or far it had travelled. As of my last check it was still in the wild and travelling. When putting this coin into play I fully expected it to be taken as a prize as they are rather nice looking coins. In fact we intend on only putting these out on special occasions or as prizes in our own caches. The fact that it has travelled is just an added bonus to us. There are those of us out there as owners that are realistic and expect some losses. I furthur second the notion... if in doubt ask. The owner may just be impressed that you asked and decide to let you have it anyways.