Health And Safety When Caching

Don't worry unduly about Lyme's. It's nasty, but you get plenty of lead time. (Like rabies, but with symptoms, so even better :lol: ). You get a big red patch around the site of the bite. Get treated (antibiotics) and you won't develop the disease.

In most areas where it's endemic, doctors should be aware of what to look for. If you're a townie and get a big red bump a week after caching, take your family medical encyclopedia along to your poor stressed urban GP and say "Oi, I think it looks like this mate".

Now can we all get back to caching, rather than worrying that we're all going to die (which we are anyway) ?

I don't think dying from Lymes or Weils is the issue. If you do not treat them early on, they are nasty illnesses that can cause severe problems, including permanent joint or organ damage, and if you can't work, can destroy your livelihood.

True, most people walk in the countryside without a problem, but not being prepared for the worse is like putting on socks without first checking for sharp objects!

I just read the Guardian article the sTeam Traen linked to back on page 1, where it said:

The advice from Dr Jon Bell of the FSA was as follows: "Sudan 1 could contribute to an increased risk of cancer. However, at the levels present the risk is likely to be very small, but it is sensible to avoid eating any more. There is no risk of immediate ill health."

So that's it then. Being sensible (?) I'll have to avoid eating any more! Just the beers for me now! :lol:

i always have wipes. tesco's do an anti bacterial range in their kiddies section.

sudan1. yeah take back the offending foodstuffs that might just might cause cancer if we ate huge amounts everyday. oh and on the way back out of the shop pick me up 20 fags will you!!!! :unsure:

don't you just love american disaster type progs? if yellowstone went up we'd be tottally f#$%ed civilisation is predicted to breakdown approx 36 hours after the last hot meal!

never leave your drink when in pub. never accept a fag from someone you don't know. they soak them in stuff that has same effect as date rape drugs!! ain't life grand.

i'm just waiting to win the lottery!! :lol:

I just read the Guardian article the sTeam Traen linked to back on page 1, where it said:

The advice from Dr Jon Bell of the FSA was as follows: "Sudan 1 could contribute to an increased risk of cancer. However, at the levels present the risk is likely to be very small, but it is sensible to avoid eating any more. There is no risk of immediate ill health."

So that's it then. Being sensible (?) I'll have to avoid eating any more! Just the beers for me now! :lol:

If you take any advice from the health professionals to its logical conclusion, it comes down to "whatever you're doing, stop it". It's what happens when you ask people to extrapolate from very large generalities ("if you give 20 grams of Sudan 1 to 1000 rats weighing 250 grams each, half will get cancer") to pointless specifics ("by eating 0.000001 grams of Sudan 1, you run a risk of cancer equivalent to being within 100 metres of one person smoking half a cigarette").

My principal conclusion is that journalists need to fill up the paper. No new book about UFO abductions this week ? Better run the story about losing weight by eating grapefruit, or bird seed. (I see Carol Vorderman has put it all back on, ha ha)

As there say over 5k caches in UK and a lot of cachers where are all these cachers with either Lymes or Weils disease that can say they have been infected whilst geocaching :ph34r: Where are the stats :blink:

The problem is that many people can get Lyme disease and exhibit symptoms for years without knowing they have it. The disease is known worldwide. The conditon has existed for at least centuries as reserchers have tested samples etc. But it was not until the early 80's that a single casue was identified for a range of what had bene thought to be random viral conditions. It was a cluster of child rhumatism cases in Lyme Conneticut identified in 1977 that helped identify what was going on, hence the name.

This isn't to say that caching is dangerous, but it is sensible to be aware of what you need to look out for if you have any insect bites etc followed by a rash or flu symptoms.

"LYME DISEASE SYMPTOMS IN MAN

In about 50% of the cases a characteristic rash or lesion called erythema migrans is seen. It begins a few days to a few weeks after the bite of an infected tick. The rash generally looks like an expanding red ring. It is often described as looking like a bull's-eye with alternating light and dark rings. However, it can vary from a reddish blotchy appearance to red throughout. And can be confused with poison ivy, spider or insect bite, or ringworm. At about the same time that the rash develops, flu-like symptoms may appear with headache, sore throat, stiff neck, fever, muscle aches, fatigue and general malaise. Some people develop the flu-like illness without getting a rash.

Seek prompt medical attention if any of these symptoms appear, especially after being bitten by a tick or visiting an area where Lyme disease is common. If possible document the presence of the rash by taking a picture because it may disappear before a physician can see it. A picture in this case is worth 10,000 words!

If ignored, the early symptoms may disappear, but more serious problems can develop months to years later. The later symptoms of Lyme disease can be quite severe and chronic. Muscle pain and arthritis, usually of the large joints is common. Neurological symptoms include meningitis, numbness, tingling, and burning sensations in the extremities, Bell's palsy (loss of control of one or both sides of the face), severe pain and fatigue (often extreme and incapacitating) and depression. Heart, eye, respiratory and gastrointestinal problems can develop. Symptoms are often intermittent lasting from a few days to several months and sometimes years. Chronic Lyme disease, because of its diverse symptoms, mimics many other diseases and can be difficult to diagnose. "

As there say over 5k caches in UK and a lot of cachers where are all these cachers with either Lymes or Weils disease that can say they have been infected whilst geocaching :ph34r: Where are the stats :blink:

There is one report of an infection mentioned in a thread over on the GeocacheUK forums. Okay, it's just one.... but it shows that it exists.

i always have wipes. tesco's do an anti bacterial range in their kiddies section.

That's a good tip actually. You will find in most supermarkets that the products in the kids/baby section are vastly cheaper than in the normal section. For instance next time you are in the shops check out the difference in cotton buds between the baby aisle and the cosmetics aisle!

I fell out with the medical profession years ago. WEnt to the doctor with some or another problem, I forget the details, lets say a sore finder for the sake of argument:

"Hello, my finger hurts"

"OK, let me see... Do you smoke?"

"yes"

"step on the scales"

"OK"

"Right, you should give up smoking and lose weight.... NEXT!"

"But I came about my finger...."

"NEXT!"

OK, so I've taken a little artistic license , but you get the point.

Now I'm worried, I've given up smoking, lost three stone, I daren't go to the docs, he'll decide I'm doing something ELSE unhealty.

When I were a kid we lived in ' old septic tank. Got up at half past three in t' mornin' an' Licked road clean wi' tongue. Never did us any 'arm. :blink:

Half past three? That's a lie in! When I were a lad we used to get up at half past one in t' mornin, work 28 hours a day down pit and pay pit owner for t'privilege, then go home t' septic tank t' lick road clean....

People have been going outside for years without dying, just because you find a plastic box while you are out there doesn't make you more likely to contract anything nasty!

Yet another reason for me to be against the medical profession;

Have you tried to get a tetenus booster?  Twenty questions time before you see a needle.

1/2mm cut?  They can't wait to stick it in you.

Turn up at AandE with a cut say it was a rose or bramble you will get a tetanus booster quicker than you can say..... so yes you are right about getting a cut and getting a needle.

Problem for doctors is shelf life of the injection unfortunately.

You could take the easy way out and marry a nurse who can give you the injection. ............ like i did. and yes she cant wait either :blink::ph34r:

Pretty much the deal, thought I needed a booster so asked the quack, gave up asking before it appeared.

Soon after, tiny cut, normally wouldn't bother but it wouldn't stop bleeding for some reason. The wouldn't even look at it before they'd given me a tetenus booster.

to be honest the health and safety most applicable to going caching goes along the lines of make sure someone knows where you are going and when you'll be back. plus have a charged up mobile phone.

you're far more likely to twist your ankle, have a bad fall etc than catch anything else. being aware is sufficient against weils and lymes.

mind you watch out for the big cats out there!! :P

you pays your money and takes your choice. life is a risk can't even stay at home under the sheets as most accidents happen at home!!

Following on from my previous post - "if I don't worry it won't happen to me" was the theme.

So, this morning I have an itch, in a place I can't see very well and I'm pretty sure it's been there a while (days) . I grabbed a shaving miror and had a look and I could see that it looked black, and on a more gentle examination I found that there was a dangly feature, like a loose skin dangle that people get. I gave it a tug and it came off - it's 6.30 and I'm precaffienated - I wasn't thinking about ticks.

I identified it as a tick because it has legs, and on further examination, it has legs that still move, albeit slowly.

I hope they are moving slowly becuase it is dazed, not becuase someone has ripped it's head off!

Oh ***ger.

Edited by Kitty Hawk
Saw bees today, looks like the summer's approaching fast.

Yup.

At about two o'clock this morning the Sun's declination moved into the Northern hemisphere, so we are now officially on the Summer side of the Spring Equinox.

Whoopee!!

By the way, the Woodland trust, in association with Aunti Beeb is running a Survey of when people first observe half a dozen species and they're plotting the data on a nifty Flash map.

Take a look at Springwatch

Geocachers are well placed to participate in this survey as we are easily accustomed to logging position and we grub around the bushes enough to encounter all these species.

Cheers, The Forester

who has just missed the Vernal Equinox deadline of completing the planting of 600 trees in some very difficult ground :rolleyes:

Saw bees today, looks like the summer's approaching fast.

Yup.

At about two o'clock this morning the Sun's declination moved into the Northern hemisphere, so we are now officially on the Summer side of the Spring Equinox.

Whoopee!!

By the way, the Woodland trust, in association with Aunti Beeb is running a Survey of when people first observe half a dozen species and they're plotting the data on a nifty Flash map.

Take a look at Springwatch

Geocachers are well placed to participate in this survey as we are easily accustomed to logging position and we grub around the bushes enough to encounter all these species.

Cheers, The Forester

who has just missed the Vernal Equinox deadline of completing the planting of 600 trees in some very difficult ground :rolleyes:

Thanks for the Link, just made an entry for my first Frog Spawn siting of the year.

Cheers

Tony

Following on from my previous post - "if I don't worry it won't happen to me" was the theme.

So, this morning I have an itch, in a place I can't see very well and I'm pretty sure it's been there a while (days) . I grabbed a shaving miror and had a look and I could see that it looked black, and on a more gentle examination I found that there was a dangly feature, like a loose skin dangle that people get. I gave it a tug and it came off - it's 6.30 and I'm precaffienated - I wasn't thinking about ticks.

I identified it as a tick because it has legs, and on further examination, it has legs that still move, albeit slowly.

I hope they are moving slowly becuase it is dazed, not becuase someone has ripped it's head off!

Oh ***ger.

you prob don't need telling but i'd think about a trip to casualty to just check you didn't leave any of it!!! better to find out now before it gets nasty.

makes me itch just thinking about it!

springs here, they're predicting hosepipe ban!

Oh ***ger.

you prob don't need telling but i'd think about a trip to casualty to just check you didn't leave any of it!!! better to find out now before it gets nasty.

makes me itch just thinking about it!

springs here, they're predicting hosepipe ban!

Having just left Germany where ticks are rife (nasty ones too) I am pretty sure that if you see moving legs then you have completely removed the tick. The legs are the first bit that go in (they are attached to the head). The best way to get them out is with a pair of tweezers (as already mentioned on this thread) but it is important not to squeeze too hard and it's also important that you pull them out with an anti-clockwise twist, apparently they corkscrew themselves in so that's the only surefire way of getting them out. All this advice comes from my German vet so it may have lost a bit in translation. Still a trip to your GP wouldn't go amiss if you are worried.

<Update> GP's been around and confirms that I did get the head and "as long as I haven't been to the New Forest I should be OK".

"But I have been to the New Forest" says I

"Ah, right, now have you heard of Lymes disease..."

So I'm OK,( more than likely), thanks for your advice to Forester and Nobby.

Adrian

- the vaseline theory - does suffocate them and kill them becuase they breath through their thorax, nothing to do with them coming up for breath!

good to hear that gp's been and said ok.

for the record they attach themselves using their teeth. if you yank them off they can leave their teeth which can then become infected.

i'd always been told the best way to remove is with a lit cigarette. carefully hold it to the dadgum things back and it should let go.

either way always best to check with gp and as has been said watch out if you've been to the new forest.

nothing to seriously worry about. just be aware of.

Using cigarettes and the like to remove ticks really isn't to be recommended. Much better to pop into your local vets and get a 'proper' tick removal tool. (They don't seem to be available form your friendly pharmacist). I always carry one in the small first aid kit in my ruc. It's a little plastic tool like a tiny, two pronged fork that you slide under the wee beastie and give it a quick twist. Hey presto.... the little bu**er is unscrewed and drops to the floor when it can be jumped on and suitably squished. :D

Man, if this thread had been on the forum while i was considering whether or not to throw myself into the wonderful world of geocaching... I would not have bothered... :D

The thought of enjoying the country side whilst out walking and getting to log (hopefully) interesting finds would not have sounded worth it if i had to dive into the nearest bush every-time I thought my path was going to cross with that of a paranoid cacher.

As of yet i havent come across another geocacher and i am starting to think it best that way. :D

Now i am picturing a ex-train spotter who has moved to the country as the anti pollution respirators and dayglo vests were attracting too much attention on the dangerously high platforms.

They can now be seen taking massive diversions around cowpats in hip high fishermans wellies wearing latex gloves and a more comfortable cotton face mask. They spray every gate they come across with high strength disinfectant and if a cache isn't too dirty log it with Took nothing, Left nothing, Sterilised the cache. :D

A first aid kit is a sensible addition to anyones caching kit especially when are venturing away from immediate civilisation. But as far as other precautions go, i think your best bet is to look left and right when crossing the road and leave it at that.

Those edgy cachers that are still not convinced... start saving and CLICK HERE

I did rather a lot of research into ticks, in one hell of a hurry, after 'collecting' one at a cache up in Scotland. You see, we don't have these little blighters in New Zealand, and I was rather a little worried - anything that hangs around chewing can't be good.

I can now confidently say:

a. The chances of getting Lyme disease are very slim

b. The chances do increase the longer a tick in is situ

c. Burning them out again increases the chances, as they have a nasty tendancy to regurgitate their stomach contents into your epidermis at the first sign of trauma (ick!)

d. They are one of the most unpleasant insects it has ever been my misfortune to meet!

All in all, they are not fun. Best advice I saw was to check yourself over after a day in the woods, and have a tick tool handy!!

As an aside, check out this site. I apologise if you've seen it before, but it's just so relevant to this discussion!

Not sure if this is true but I did hear/read somewhere? that the enormous increase in the tick population was due to the fact that farmers are no longer using the old fashioned 'sheep dips'. Something to do with them being a health hazard (to the farmers... sod the poor little sheep :D ). The alternative, apparently, is to have each of your sheep vaccinated/immunised/given a shot of something by the local vet. As this tends to be expensive and we all know how much it costs to run new Volvos, it doesn't get done.... hence the tick explosion. :D

I have to say, I NEVER drink beer from the bottle, as is the trend to do in many pubs, because beer crates are often stored in places where rats can run over them, and I just don't fancy the idea of drinking out of bottle that has had rat urine on it, just to save some landlord the expense of washing up glasses.

Ahh, a wave of nostalgia sweeps over me for one of the great urban legends, but one which never fails to shock and entertain, despite being entirely false, as far as anyone can tell.

Now here's someone with the right idea :D

I am mature student and supliment my meagre income by working in a pub. The landlord was telling me of a pub where he used to work in Cheltenham. The bottled beer was kept in the cellar and when the urinals in the gents overflowed ( a regular occurance) it washed all the bottles as they were directly below. No danger of wiels disease as the wee washed all traces of the rats away :D

Ted