Iowa Offers Some Surprises

Sparrowhawk

I just read this, and it gave me a real education! Now I am thinking of actually visiting there.

Good work and good pride and innovation in your home state - way to go! :lol:

So what cool geocaches are along some of the best locations mentioned in the linked article? Do you guys ever do biking-tour geocaching events?

Edited by Sparrowhawk
So what cool geocaches are along some of the best locations mentioned in the linked article? Do you guys ever do biking-tour geocaching events?

Don't know, those caches would be a bit too far west for me.

Haven't heard of any bicycle events, but who knows that the future may hold :D

In the Des Moines, Central Iowa area you can ride the hard surface trail from Saylorville Lake, down along the Des Moines River, through Des Moines and Waterworks Park for a ride of about 25 miles and at least 25 caches within an easy distance from the bike trail. If you bring a mountain bike you can add some of the rougher trails and a few more caches along the river and in Greenwood Park. (This sounds like a good activity this summer...I think I'll do it!)

Heh... might be fun to see you guys organize a summertime caching/biking event in that area...  :(

Ill mention that in the Iowa Geocachers Organization forums and see if we can get any of the DM area folks to do it.

Do you guys ever do biking-tour geocaching events?

None that I have heard of. Though, Eastern Iowa Geocachers Assoc (predecessor of the IGO) members did place a couple of caches specifically along the RAGBRAI route last year.

I have signed up for the RAGBRAI this year.  Are there going to be any caches for this route?  I was thinking of holding some events along the way to swap TBs.  Now all I have to do is get picked in the lottery!  :rolleyes:

This was just brought up on the Iowa Geocachers Org forums. But there hasnt been much discussion on it yet.

Last year our members placed one cache along the route, and one cache at the park for one of the overnight stops. As I recall, the cache along the route had one "find" and the one at the park didnt have any.

We also made a special page with .loc files the caches along each day of the route.

If anything comes of the discussions at the IGO site, we'll make sure someone posts a note here.

I have signed up for the RAGBRAI this year. Are there going to be any caches for this route? I was thinking of holding some events along the way to swap TBs. Now all I have to do is get picked in the lottery! :rolleyes:

Along the length of the Missouri are the Lewis and Clark caches placed by Three Amigos and a number of other good caches on the Nebraska side of the river as well.

Depending on where the starting point is, you could have a bunch the first day.

At one of the overnight stops in my home town Northwood, I have the All Around Northwood Cache. Also depending on how far off the main route there are 3 that I have that are about 2 miles from the route to 5 miles off the route. They are Kuennens Quarry, Fort Severson, and The Legend of Ochee Yahola.

Just keep on chcecking the IGO webisite as there might be a listing of caches along the route.

I'm heading back to Iowa for yet another RAGBRAI (I've been going as often as I can since RAGBRAI VIII) but this will be my first year heading that direction (from Seattle) as a geocacher. We have a support driver accompanying us that's a geo-fanatic, too, so we'll keep watching the IGO page (as soon as I find out where that is) to see if there are some caches that can keep him entertained while we bike.

If there are some that are close enough to the route for a rider to find, too...even better!

... so we'll keep watching the IGO page (as soon as I find out where that is)

At the moment, we are having a DNS problem with our host. When that is all straightened out, the IGO will be at www.IowaGeocachers.org.

You can also keep an eye out here. We'll make sure to post when we get something going.

... so we'll keep watching the IGO page (as soon as I find out where that is)

At the moment, we are having a DNS problem with our host. When that is all straightened out, the IGO will be at www.IowaGeocachers.org.

You can also keep an eye out here. We'll make sure to post when we get something going.

DNS issues should be fixed. IGO is again avaliable at http://www.iowageocachers.org

RAGBRAI ends in Guttenberg, Iowa this year. If you have a little spare time (and spare energy) at the end of the ride, here are a couple of nice scenic caches in the area:

GRRP5 Buechel Hill Trail

Big Spring Cache

If you have a bit more spare time (about 6 hours round trip by car) and would like to see some of the area's more scenic Mississippi River vistas, you could complete the Great River Road Passage of caches series recently set up by my brother and I. Here they are:

GRRP cache series

If you decide to complete the GRRP series and have a couple more hours yet to spare, you can visit the following caches as well along the way:

Pikes Peak Gold

Breathtaking

Finley's Landing

Little Maquoketa Mounds

Enjoy,

medoug.

Edited by medoug

A handful of us that have been going on RAGBRAI together since way back in 1980 (RAGBRAI VIII!) will be there again (as usual!) for our 25th anniversary ride. A couple of us are geocaching fans, including our driver, Reino. He'll be caching his way across the state while we ride, so we'll be checking out the Iowa Geocachers Assn. website to find the best caches along the way.

I have a request...and it's a biggie :ph34r: ...are there any Iowa Geocachers that live in the RAGBRAI overnight towns that would be willing to let us throw our sleeping bags on your floor for the night? Or pitch a tent in your yard and use your shower? We're a very well-behaved, fun bunch that have been enjoying your state for more than two decades and are hoping to meet some local geocachers.

If you can help us out, we'd be forever grateful! Many thanks!

I have a request...and it's a biggie :ph34r: ...are there any Iowa Geocachers that live in the RAGBRAI overnight towns that would be willing to let us throw our sleeping bags on your floor for the night? Or pitch a tent in your yard and use your shower? We're a very well-behaved, fun bunch that have been enjoying your state for more than two decades and are hoping to meet some local geocachers.

If you can help us out, we'd be forever grateful! Many thanks!

Any idea how many people are in your group?

Le Mars (start point), sheldon, esterville, algona, northwood, cresco, west union, and guttenberg (end point), are in the NW and NE regions (if you were wanting to make the request on the IGO forums).

Any idea how many people are in your group?

Yep, there are six of us. Two are homegrown native Iowans. The other 4 of us have had to move out of the midwest and now live in the Seattle area, but we always find a way to get to Iowa in July!

Thank you for directing me to the right spots on the Iowa Geocachers website...I'll give that a shot, too! I might be willing to trade a chance to hang on to my Moun10Bike coin for a shower... :ph34r:

Actually, RAGBRAI goes right by "GRRP5 Grandpa George's Homeland" and "Big Spring Cache" this year (both on the Great River Road between Garnavillo and Guttenberg in its final stretch).

Big Spring Cache was the third cache that I ever found, and I'd have to agree that it definitely rates as one of my most favorite. Also, don't let the terrain rating of 4.5 scare you. It's much easier than that (more like a 3.5) if you go about it the right way.

medoug.

Edited by medoug

I see RAGBRAI is going through Gunder! Which is a couple miles from where I grew up. I'd almost do a cache there, but instead will just advise you to look at the old DX station and the old creamery there. Kind of Norman Rockwell-ish, in a dilapidated way. LOL!

It's just a wee wide spot on the road. OH... and stop at The Shanti for the FAMOUS Gunder Burger!!! :lol: