Very New In Need Of A Gps

Hey everyone... Junior in Highschool... I'm one of the adventurous type. My boyfriend and I have been together 2 years and wanted to find a hobbie we wanted to do together. We tried rock climbing (too hard for me lol), biking we couldn't do I don't have a bike and really had no interest in riding for no purpose. Today on a forum I'm on (I make bath and body products from scratch to better benefit peoples skin no fillers everything I use has a purpose) I also make websites for a part time job. I'm homeschooled taking advanced classes through a college (Distant learning through Texas Tech University in Lubbock Texas). Well anyways back to how I heard about geocaching. I was on a soaping forum I'm a part of and she mentioned how she just got a GPS for her birthday. Showing a picture of the area she would be traveling to next and after enough questioning she explained what geocaching was. I was sooo interested because all the things my boyfriend wanted to do are all mixed into this. It's a treasure hunt so it makes it fun but not only do you hike, ride bikes, camp, you also get to know many wonderful people in the process. I told him about it and he is siked... so ready to start doing this. I then realized what a GPS was and that it was needed. So now I'm a little bummed as I'm strapped for cash with tuition coming up. I saw that some of these babies can run you as high as $1000.00 that's way out of my budget so that's why I'm here in this area. I was wondering if anyone had a GPS just lying around and older model that they want to get rid of just never had the time to list it or anything like that. I would greatly appreciate it. I just hate having to spend that much on a hobbie all at once. Specially just starting out. Not that I wouldnt' do it if I had the money because I would just to give my boyfriend a what I hope will become a life long hobbie. It's just as strapped as I am I can't justify spending that much when I have other things to pay for at the moment. Any who if anyone can help me out i would GREATLY appreciate it. I'd be willing to pay for it or if you are interested in trading bath products or even a website I'm down with that to what ever works for you just let me know. HUGS

-Andrea-

Is that one that would work well enough for caching? I don't need anything fancy just thought like with digital camera's cheap ones are the ones that aren't worth buying. If someone could recommend one to me I could start saving up and searching for deals. I just have no idea where to even start never heard of a GPS until today

In the case of GPS's, even the cheapest Garmins and Magellans are plenty adequate for geocaching. The only thing I would shy away from is one that can NOT be cabled to a computer for downloading waypoints.

Some of the other brands have received negative reviews in these forums, but as long as you stick with The Big Two, you should be fine.

go with the yellow garmin etrex.....that is the GPS I used for like 3 years....and if you really want to, the yellow etrex will work with a computer too you will just need to buy a data cable for it. and they sell for really cheap too...I just got rid of one a few months back for 60$ canadian. that is really all you need...and if you get more into it, you could always upgrade later to bigger fancier models and keep the good ole yellow as a backup.