Geocaching Dog

Introduce yourself to the litter, walk away and sit down a short distance away. The pup that actively seeks you out is the pup you should take.

I found this to be exactly the best thing to do when choosing our beloved cocker Molly. She came to me, snuggled up, licked my face then fell asleep on me. She was the most wonderful companion for almost 15 years.

We now have a great caching chihuahua. I found her on the street 7 years ago. She's perfect because she loves to go bye-bye, travels easily (even by air) and we can carry her if necessary. When we cache it's her job to "act normal" and distract muggles.

I love this thread about dogs.

After over a year of research into different mastiff breeds, I am now the proud owner of a 12 week old (35 pound) Dogue de Bordeaux. They are commonly known as the French Mastiff or the dog from the Turner and Hooch movie!!!

His name is Brayden and he has already been on 2 very short geocaching walks!!! He found a ball in one and really loved it.

It has been hard work but we have survived puppy kindergarden and are constantly working on training so when he is full grown at 130+ pounds, we can handle him with out any worries.

All the sugegstions about looking for a dog have been great. Dogs are not impulse buys!!!

Good luck on your search!!!

Jen

absolutely precious, markwell. i forgot about the baby fuzz, it's been quite a while since nug was that small (june 8, 2002)!! i, too, am absolutely biased--i've always wanted a velcro dog that would follow me everywhere, and all i can say is that i never stop short any more. :lol:

p.s. oh yeah, i looked at 15 puppies from two seperate litters at the breeder's kennel, and nugget definitely picked me out. i have a shelter cat (also big, dense, sweet, and yellow) that picked me out, too.

Hey if anyone is interested I have a 1/2 lab 1/2 great pyrenes <sp> solid black about 6 months old, free to a good home that offers lots of room to run. Course I am in a small town in Arkansas. Anyone need a dog, email me.........

Hey, you could always put a travel bug tag on his collar and call it "Seeking A Cacher To Take Care Of Me" Then he can live with one cacher after another for one or two weeks at a time until something cool happens, permanent-home-wise. Definitely won't fit in a cache, so maybe he is to only visit virtuals. :rolleyes:

We take our Border Collies with us whenever possible. This past August, we (and the dogs) "retired" after 8 years of volunteering in Search and Rescue. The dogs are trained to find human scent and certain "articles" so they naturally picked up on finding geocache containers. Most of our local cachers think its neat that the dogs can find these things. Koati, our female, even helped us to a FTF that a few other cache teams had missed.

As for a breed for you, I would not suggest a Border Collie. They are real working dogs and need something to do or they'll drive you crazy. Labs are good dogs and are used pretty heavily for SAR work so that would be a good choice. They are usually very friendly, good with kids and good with other dogs. Find a good breeder, though.

Our 2 dogs both came from the pound. Ralf, a rottie/lab mix, is 9 and Alice, a pitbull/mastiff mix is 2. Neither one has ever forgotten how close they were to death, and both seem grateful for the chance to come live with us.

If you want to take your dog geocaching, make sure you get a dog that likes riding in cars (and doesn't get carsick!).

Oh, and check out petfinder for rescue dogs!

Tomi and Carl

Ralf and Alice

Edited by teamkimble

My new favorite is the Australian cattle dog. I have two beagles and I do not suggest getting them if you wish to have them with you on the trail (unless you get lucky or have a lot of training time). They follow their nose and are not praise motivated and are very stubborn. But, admittedly they're darn cute and great pets. Just not good pets for the trail.

A local geocacher has the Austrailian Cattle Dog and it is a strong breed but he warns that they are very active. They don't seem to have as many health problems as, say, a lab (which is highly popular but watch out for the breeding). Mutts always end up being a great choice since they have less health problems that AKC registerd dogs have from overbreeding.

Whatever you do, don't take your dog out on a really long hike if they have never done it before. Just like people they get out of shape and you can beat them up pretty badly on long hikes. They have those little legs too :grin:

We got our Brittany Spainel from a breeder 4 1/2 years ago. He's very intelligent, loving,loyal and spoiled rotten. They make great family dogs cause they love being with you.

Ironman has taken him out caching a few times. He seems to stick close to us. Sometimes he wants to take off but he always looks back at you like he wants your permission.

Any how pick the breed that suits your family needs. Everyone has made great suggestions. Just had to put mine in. :laughing:

Earth dogs make the best cachers--like Jack Russells... :)

Me too... I have one.... He caches.... Can/will follow the scent of people having been in an area. Caution though, they get bored if you are searching and searching. I've often tied mine nearby while I search the nooks and crannies. I looked back at him one time and he had laid down as if to take a nap. Great dog. Check out my gallery - I'm sure there are photos of him in there. I don't know how to paste a photo in forums. DUH.. :o

My "namesake" Quoddy is a Welsh Springer Spaniel. He's been to almost every cache I've ever done, beginning at his age of 5 months. Welshies are extremely energetic dogs, and never seem to tire. Just be aware that the long walk will be needed every day, not just on cache days. Be prepared to feel that they are velcro'ed to you, since they seem to think that a few feet away is too far.

Edited by Quoddy

Ive got a yellow lab..She is a great dog, but stupid as all heck..I wish I could take her caching, but we cant even take her outside without a leash because she likes to explore a little too much....She is just a dumb blond(no offense to anyone)...we have tryed everything but no luck.....She loves to swim and will jump in the pool even if its raining out...I have a video that I need to send into AFV where she is in the pool and I tell her to get out and she totally says NOOOOOOOOOO!!! Its great...Some day she will learn..I hope soon...LOL

Delay

The best dog for caching would be any dog that is able to go on long walks and one that fits into your family well. If you go caching a LOT an active dog would probably be good.

Personally though I think the best dog for geocaching is a SHELTER DOG! (or from a rescue group)

Shelters and rescues have many, many medium to large young adult dogs dying for homes. Many people get a puppy and then when they realize it's not going to stay a small, cute, puppy and it actually needs EXERCISE they dump it in a shelter. Shelters are full of these dogs who just need a good home with exercise and some training.

Don't go for a greyhound unless you're going to walk 10 miles a day. Don't get a St. Bernard if you live in an apartment!

Just wanted to mention that this is not really true about Greyhounds... Greyhound are often couch potatoes. They don't need tons of exercise daily, they are happy to lounge around most of the time. Think about it-- they historically would sprint for short amounts of times to chase prey, they aren't made for going out and hunting all day long.

That said, there are many breeds that DO need a lot of exercise, such as Labs, Goldens, and Border Collies. These dogs were originally bred to work in the field all day. You do get laid back dogs of these breeds of course, but this is the case in general.

Edited by ChicagoCanineCrew

Also forgot to add-- If you're concerned about briars/burrs/etc in the dog's fur it is not only shorthaired or smooth coated dogs that are resistant to them!

Many breeds with wirey coats and straight medium-length coats are also resistant to burrs/brambles. Especially breeds bred for hunting or other tasks which require them to tromp through the woods...

For instance, my Golden has medium-long fur (see photo at left) but I've never had a problem with burrs. Her coat just seems to resist them (along with water) and if she brushes up against a burr plant the burrs just fall right off her coat, or if they land on her back where they don't fall of immediately you just have to brush them right off with a hand.

Edited by ChicagoCanineCrew

:D

O, I can't even read this thread...our German Shepard, Dallas, is not doing well at all. He will be in heaven by month's end. Yesterday, he turned 12. I have never had to do this b4, he's my 1st dog; I grew up with cats.

ANY SUGGESTIONS TO PREPARE MY GIRLS (10 & 7) AND THEIR GRIEF? and me!

SHOULD WE RIGHT AWAY GET A PUPPY?

where's my tissues??

:rolleyes:

O, I can't even read this thread...our German Shepard, Dallas, is not doing well at all. He will be in heaven by month's end. Yesterday, he turned 12. I have never had to do this b4, he's my 1st dog; I grew up with cats.

where's my tissues??

When my previous dog finally passed away at 14 I was so grief stricken that I thought I'd never have another dog; both for that grief reason and also I thought it would be offensive to his memory. I soon realized that I couldn't be without the closeness of such a friend and decided to bring another joyfull experience into my life. I now have Quoddy who hasn't replaced Tuppence, but rather augmented my love for these wonderful animals.

You sound like a true dog person, too. Don't hesitate to have another pup add that new dimension into a new era of your life. I personally consider each portion of my life by the dog associated with it.

I've got a standard poodle. I love this dog! Great trail companion. She's happy, loyal and obedient. Obedience training is easy, it's in her nature to please. She likes people but doesn't fawn over them. Gets along well with strange dogs. If the dog is snarky she'll leave it alone.

Had an Akita before my SP. Great with people but had a high prey instinct and she was dog dominant. She didn't start fights but wouldn't back down to one. Also not particularly obedient couldn't be trusted to come back when called. She was strong and a bit overpowering when she got excited. She had to always be on lead.

When I'm at the dog park my favourites are the golden retrievers and the cocker spaniels (both are sweet-natured and very people oriented). But I'm hesitant to get a golden because I've known too many that have succumbed to cancer at an early age.

I love to take my "pup" Ike caching. He's a rescued, 90+lbs Shep/St bernard mix. He's a hoot. We had to go over a wall,, what a treat it was to get him over.. He loves it. Sometimes we have to go by his clock because of all the scents that get his attention. I take snacks and water and make sure he gets hydrated, you can't see the effects of heat and work on a dog like a human.

I think it was Frank Zappa, or was it Vic Tayback, that said, "watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow".

The best dog for geocaching is the dog that's best for your family. What I mean is don't choose your new family member just for its potential geocaching abilities, choose one that fits well with everything you do. Dogs have been selectively bred for certain activities, hunting, retrieving, pointing, guarding etc. While these breeds have been bred for these tasks, it doesn't necessarily mean getting that breed guarantees those attributes will be automatic present in your dog.

Our geodogs have been rescued dogs, either from shelters or rescue groups. Unfortunately there are rescue groups for just about every pure bred dog, this is just a testament to how many people get a puppy or dog and are unable to properly train or care for their dogs.

We have had a Rhodesian Ridgeback, which like a lot of hounds, liked to laze around until there was something to do, (like geocache) and then she'd perk up and hike all day. We've had two German Shepherds, both liked to hike, but they have/had completely different personalities, prey drives, and tolerances of other dogs, and we have a Heinz 57 the all breed rescue says is Collie...well I'm sure collie could be part of the mix!

My best advice would be to do some research on the different breeds suggested here in this thread. If you decide on a pure bred check out a local breeder. A professional one, not a backyard breeder, AKC papers does not guarantee you are getting the best attributes of the breed. A professional breeder will help you determine which puppy or dog has the best personality/temperament for you. Here is a linkto the AKC site with lots of great info for those seeking a new dog. If a professional breeder is outside of your budget, research breed rescue organizations. They will help you find the rescued breed your interested in. Most breed rescues get these dogs surrendered from their owners or rescued from pounds. They put them in volunteer foster homes to evaluate temperament, look for behavior problems and work on basic obedience. Be aware many dogs have been abandoned, abused or otherwise mistreated and may require special attention. Be sure to consider, kids, the amount of time you can devote to the dog in training and exercise (geocaching is great physical and mental exercise for your dog!), other pets, the expense of a new pet.

I highly recommend a rescued dog, there are too many discarded pets, many who are already trained, with excellent temperaments waiting for a new home. If you have the time to devote to one of these needy pets you will have a faithful caching companion!

Good luck, post a picture when you find your new geodog!

We picked out our cocker spaniel puppy out of 5 females at the age of 4 weeks. I sat down and wanted the puppy that was interested in me, and her siblings. I picked the one I felt was best for me after an hour of sitting there observing. She is a total outdoor dog...loves the colorado river we live by, has helped me a few times find a geocache that i could'nt, and is a loving companion. There are tests that the "professionals" suggest for a new puppy, such as, are they ok on their backs when you hold them, etc, good luck to every one.....

I have always been partial to small terriers (hence the Blue eyed Jacks) they are small but have the energy and stamina to hike and keep up with owners on the trail, also many have short or rough coats that resist burs, mud, etc. Most breeds have websites that give information about the dogs and sometimes even online surveys to see if that type of dog is right for you. Also most breed orginizations have rescue groups that sometimes have dogs to adopt. Our Jack Russel is very good with kids and other dogs, etc, loves to hiking and caching. Sometimes terriers are not so good with very small kids because they might bite if a small kid hurts them without realizing it.

I am a veterinarian and most of the problems I see with people having problems with behavior, etc is due to impulse buys, not doing enough research, etc.

Good Luck!

:laughing:

O, I can't even read this thread...our German Shepard, Dallas, is not doing well at all.  He will be in heaven by month's end. Yesterday, he turned 12.  I have never had to do this b4, he's my 1st dog; I grew up with cats. 

where's my tissues??

A similar thread ran about a year ago based on the loss of a caching dog, one half of Team Yellowdog. In it there was the poem/tale "Rainbow Bridge." I recommend reading it with tissues near at hand, but "Rainbow Bridge" is comforting. Make sure to read the special version honoring dogs who served after the September 11, 2001 tragedy.

Here's the link to the thread:

Loss of a Great Cacher

As the owner of a German Shepherd (Noah pictured in my avatar), I too dread the inevitable day to come, but find comfort in those who've experienced similar loss. I'd probably wait a little while before getting a puppy in order to deal with the emotions of the loss, but only you know what would be best for your girls and yourself.

5cb69d86-e967-4304-9012-96191719dec0.jpg

Yo Quiro Cache Pup?

ad170ac0-650e-4016-817f-a21ef5183c7c.jpg

I agree with you. Our 3 chihuahuas come with us caching at times and they can be great little caching companions. Nacho Padre is my avatar. That's the wife's dog. Sierra Madre is mine, and Penny (Nacho and Sierra's daughter) kinda belongs to both of us.

Here is our dog Mav. 1st post, I get stage fright. I'm hiding behind the tree :)

5b33d8fe-c6ab-4c54-b6ba-5c31a821e508.jpg

If you are looking for a trail dog, I wouldn't recommend a husky. They are great dogs with wonderful personalities, but you can't let most of them off leash. The see something and they'll run for 10 miles before they realize you are nowhere near them.

I also have a lab and they are much more suited for the trail. Like everyone else has said, get what suites your lifestyle best. Buy some books and get into some breed forums.

Good Luck!

I am a professional dog trainer and Groomer. I would recommend that you take a look at your lifestyle and get a dog according to that. You do not want to have an active dog and a non active life stile or visa versa. If you want to adopt a specific breed look on the akc website they have a breed rescue for about every breed and locations. Good luck with your new dog. :D

Andrea

OMGHI Bruce and Andrea

Just had to add my newest, soon-to-be-caching-dog (not yet home) Sirius! :lol:

This is where caching can actually come in handy for dog training! Sirius is part Border Collie and is a high energy adolescent. Hiking is a great way to burn off energy, so caching will hopefully become part of his regular exercise! I'm also planning to use caching as an excuse to practice obedience with him such as "come", "stay" (while I'm looking through the cache) and "leave it" with whatever critters we find.

siriuslookg.jpg

(No, it's not a muzzle. It's a Gentle Leader training collar, kinda like a horse halter)

Here's my two cents worth on this topic. My dog loves to cache (or walk/run anywhere, meet anyone). Leela's a Great Dane and makes a great distraction when muggles are present. No one pays attention to us when there's a beautiful giant breed dog about. Even though she doesn't have a thick coat, she loves the winter and dashing through the underbrush so we take her along most times we're caching.

She was properly socialized as a pup and loves all people and all dogs (but dogs and a few people tend to be afraid of her). I would trust her with any age child, she would not bite even if provoked. These are typical traits of the breed, just big lovers. Indoors, she's a giant couch potato. Fortunately, we have a large couch!

She can be rather dangerous to men, however, because her tail really whips when she's excited and it's at just the right height . . .

I named her Leela after one of my favorite companions on the British Sci-Fi series, "Dr. Who" because this companion tended to say things like "Shall I kill them for you, Doctor". It fits with the thoughts of those who are afraid of big dogs but is soooo wrong with Danes.

Lori

. . .

If you are looking for a trail dog, I wouldn't recommend a husky. They are great dogs with wonderful personalities, but you can't let most of them off leash. The see something and they'll run for 10 miles before they realize you are nowhere near them. . . .

That is sure the truth. I went backpacking with a friend years ago. He brought along his young husky. We spent most of our time looking for that dog!

On the other hand, my female German Shepherd would almost never leave my side.

P.S. Your husky is beautiful!!

I am the slave to wonderful tri-colored Basset Hound named Quincy. They make truly wonderful pets and have unbelievable personalities and dispositions (if you like stubborn). I would also have to echo the idea of looking into a shelter or rescue. B):o:DB)B)

Edited by SKYCOP

I am just going to add..

For hiking, a greyhound mix is not what you want either. Ours is a greyhound/ lab mix and she can barely walk a mile without wanting a nice long nap-- my 3 year old does better than her. She also sees a rabbit (just rabbits, nothing else is of interest) and forget it-- she is gone-- for about 10 minutes before she gets tired and comes limping home-- therefore, a leash is a necessity when out.

So she does not go geocaching with us-- she is much happier on the couch taking her nap-- which fits our general lifestyle better anyway.