Geocaching Backlash?

I have been to science fiction conventions. (non-star trek)

Geocaching looks REALLY utterly, boringly normal compared to THAT.

What were they complaining about again? B)

Just drag 'em to a showing of "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and ask them "I am thinking of switching from the geocaching crowd to THIS crowd." Then just watch 'em BEG you to never mind, go back to geocaching! :mad:

:mad: My wife told me this past Monday (after we cached Saturday and found 10 caches on our trip over to Idaho (my idea not hers)) that she was really getting tired of hearing about "geocaching". I can't remember how many times I've heard that over the last two years. She has accused me of being obsessed and so on and so on.... B) I have also received flak from others (noncachers) who were with me while on an obsessed track but that is all. I try to keep to myself and cache alone, create caches in the dark, and sneak out when nobody is looking.... :( ...otherwise everything is normal. B):(

My wife is actually glad that I have found something to do with my time on the weekends; it gets her out of my hair B)

Most of my co-workers are now accusing me of being a geek; but then again, I'm an IT Manager, so what do they expect. As of yet, I haven't gotten any flak.

But if you look at it if people are going be conplusive then they are going to do it in any thing they are involved in. Eveyone that has played video games to much rais there hand. Anyone that has.......

O'well it is not the activity is is US.

cheers

Most of the people I have told geocaching about have gone out and tried it themselves. I don't see anything wrong about getting outside, exercising and having some fun. I'm not obsessed with this activity; I incorporate into my outdoor activities whenever convenient. Now if I can't park my car in the garage anymore because it's too full of ammo cans or I can't see out my car's rear window because of geocaching stickers, then I might start realizing I have a problem.

I haven't experienced any"backlash" at all.... although my wife will tease me about it, she is out of the car with GPS in hand before I even shut the engine off, and she always wants to know if there's a cache we can do when we go somewhere. In fact, she was out in CA last year and got our nephew and his wife started in caching...but she teases me and says that I'm a techno-geek. Geeze! :lol:

I have been to science fiction conventions. (non-star trek)

Geocaching looks REALLY utterly, boringly normal compared to THAT.

What were they complaining about again? 

hey now there is nothing wrong with star trek or science fiction so leave them out of this :lol: .

but anyway my friends think its pretty cool that I geocache and I have never gotten ragged on for it. :D

hey now there is nothing wrong with star trek or science fiction so leave them out of this :lol: .

Hey, that's my old life you're making that :D face at. I've been to Worldcon to watch J. Michael Straczynski get his Hugo. Also had pizza with the great Christopher Franke the same day. And partied at Westercon like it was 1999 on Mars. :D

From Steve Barnes to Dr. Robert Forward to Heinlein... there's such a big world of imagination and great concepts out there in the great writing that is out there. I just get tired of folks thinking if I like science fiction then I must be 100% trek oriented. They automatically think of star trek as if that is all that the world of science fiction has to offer.

(Extra points for if you know who and of the VIPs are are who I mentioned - especially in the first paragraph - without googling for 'em.) :D

I now return us to our regularly scheduled geocaching-related discussion. :D

Edited by Sparrowhawk

Since I started geocaching, I've also increased my domestic chores accordingly...I clean the house, the yard, work on this and that from the wee morning hours twice as hard so I can go geocaching. My wife's been happy with that so far. Except I've been working and geocaching my tails off though...Don't know how long I can keep this up. :lol:

Since I started geocaching, I've also increased my domestic chores accordingly...I clean the house, the yard, work on this and that from the wee morning hours twice as hard so I can go geocaching. My wife's been happy with that so far. Except I've been working and geocaching my tails off though...Don't know how long I can keep this up. :D

Suck-Up!!! :lol:

Has anyone else suffered the slings and arrows of geocaching backlash? We all have friends who do not cache and that's cool. But have you been accused of being "absorbed into the cult"?

Cult.........no.

Afflicted with OCD.........YES. (And that's from my fellow GCer wife!)

People thing I'm strange when I shift into zealot mode, :lol: but that's a different thing altogether.

... to watch J. Michael Straczynski get his Hugo.  Also had pizza with the great Christopher Franke the same day.  And partied at Westercon like it was 1999 on Mars.  :blink:

Oooh, you lucky B*stard!

chrisandme.jpg

Yeah... THAT was a fun day. :huh:

Then there was the day he sent me a mousepad with his own face photoshopped in onto Londo's face... CHRISTOPHER MOLARI!!

I just about died laughing. :rolleyes:

Edited by Sparrowhawk
Since I started geocaching, I've also increased my domestic chores accordingly...I clean the house, the yard, work on this and that from the wee morning hours twice as hard so I can go geocaching.  My wife's been happy with that so far.  Except I've been working and geocaching my tails off though...Don't know how long I can keep this up.  :blink:

Suck-Up!!! :rolleyes:

Adult Foreplay. It works. :huh:

Actually my wife enjoys Geocaching nearly as much as I do..........except for the occasional shake of her head with a smirk on her face she will say "your obsessed".

As for the rest of the world, they all know I am a geek.

(side note: I once had a picture from a Geocache Event laying on my desk at work - 3 different co-workers asked me why I had a picture of Geeks on my desk - 1 asked if it was some kind of Star Trek Convention.......sigh, they just don't understand....)

see link

Hey, that's my old life you're making that mad.gif face at. I've been to Worldcon to watch J. Michael Straczynski get his Hugo. Also had pizza with the great Christopher Franke the same day. And partied at Westercon like it was 1999 on Mars. biggrin.gif

snip

(Extra points for if you know who and of the VIPs are are who I mentioned - especially in the first paragraph - without googling for 'em.) cool.gif

JMS is a God...well, in some circles...Creator/writer of the Babylon 5 universe, current writer of the comics Amazing Spider-Man and Supreme Power, among other things...

And CF is the music director/composer for said B5 universe.

Does that prove my geek-dom? :unsure::blink:

My mother likes to SAY she thinks I'm dumb for doing this.

Except that, when I came home to discover a newly emptied and de-labeled pill bottle sitting out for me, I knew she's just as psycho as I am.

She gave me a vitamin bottle this past week, too. ROTFLMAO.

Hey, Joe, bets on how much longer till she joins the site!

Wife and I just started Geocaching......... she loves it more than I do. As far the the nay sayers people look at us as tho we are crazy....... I m not sure if it Geocahcing or the fact that I quit my job to follower her dreams as a Travel nurse. Either way I figure I'm the winner here!!!!! :)

I don't know about being absorbed into a cult or anything, but...

I have a great idea for a geocaching multi-level scheme that will get you MILLIONS of finds logged each year without even leaving your house! - just get in on the ground floor by purchasing a garage full of product...

allenbr

Hi, I'm Eric and I'm a dork.

My wife's a dork.

My kids are dorks.

I know this because my wife's friends told me that we're all dorks.

Just because we go outside, get exercise have adventures together, rent canoes to get caches, play with cool techno-geek stuff, and have a 5 year old that can operate a GPS (and the computer)...oh and did I mention, although I am the most ate-up one in the clan, we do this dorky hobby together...yup dorks.

Her friends' big adventures include...errrr....the mall.

Yup, I'm a dork and my kids are too...Thank God!

DC

Carpe diem

Edited by DuncanClan
hey now there is nothing wrong with star trek or science fiction so leave them out of this
Hey, that's my old life you're making that face at. I've been to Worldcon to watch J. Michael Straczynski get his Hugo. Also had pizza with the great Christopher Franke the same day. And partied at Westercon like it was 1999 on Mars.

From Steve Barnes to Dr. Robert Forward to Heinlein... there's such a big world of imagination and great concepts out there in the great writing that is out there. I just get tired of folks thinking if I like science fiction then I must be 100% trek oriented. They automatically think of star trek as if that is all that the world of science fiction has to offer.

(Extra points for if you know who and of the VIPs are are who I mentioned - especially in the first paragraph - without googling for 'em.)

I now return us to our regularly scheduled geocaching-related discussion.

NO you misunderstood me I was standing up for science fiction not bring it down. The :blink: you saw was me being mad he was dissing on it. I absolutely LOVE star trek and that sort of thing. :lol::huh::P

Finally got my wife to sign up. Now instead of me telling her I'm going geocaching she asks me when we are going. Works out really well.

BTW. Sneaky ol RK got me started. At the time I thought it was a pretty stupid way to spend my time. That was almost 800 finds ago. Guess I must be pretty stupid also.

:lol:

Edited by Night Stalker
Does that prove my geek-dom?  :blink:  :unsure:

Yup. :lol:

Now reply to me in binary code.

(just kidding!) :wacko:

011011100110111100100000010010010010000001100001011011010010000001101110011011110111010000100000011000010010000001110000011100100110111101100111011100100110000101101101011011010110010101110010

Edited by Sparrowhawk