Garmin City Select

I've only used v6, but what I've noticed in my area is that in urban areas where

new streets are added quite often v6 appears to be about 2 years behind the real

world. On the plus side though in rural and mountainous areas I've yet to find a

dirt road that isn't included in v6 and I go into some pretty 'unimproved' areas.

Even Yahoo, and Mapquest run about 1-2 years behind the real world; it just takes

that long to catch up with the roads that are being built.

Regards,

Indybill

Assuming you're asking about CitySelect-NA, the updates in the past have come out in the summer, so that's when I'd expect to see v7. The significance of the change from v5 to v6 depends on how much road construction/modification happens in your area during a year. Best way to check is to pick a few areas with which you're familiar and look at them with Garmin's MapViewer at:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography

I started with V4 and reported some issues I had found. They were corrected in v5. I found some more issues, reported them, and they were corrected in v6. I haven't found/reported any issues in v6 yet.

If the area you often travel seems complete and you don't have issues, I wouldn't think there's much need to update, unless POIs are updated and you use them.

Not sure about the rest of Canada but BC and Alberta are much more detailed on V6 than on V5. Seems to me that there in more urban detail here in the PNW on V6 but less rivers and lakes than on V5. That may not be true but that's the way it looks to me. Wheather V6 is that much better for you depends on where you live and what you are interested in. I geocache with a friend that has V5 on his 60C while I have V6 on my 76C. He thinks that V6 has much more than his V5. For me I don't think there is that much difference to upgrade to V6. Dick, W7WT