How Do You

LeeinVa1

I know i am fairly new at geocaching and probably should reserve this question for a later date, but i am wondering how you look at geocaching.

1. do you consider it a sport, hobbie, pastime.

2. where do you see it heading.

when i am out there searching, i often wonder what it is all about. i can see where it would be a great family type activity, an opportunity to introduce others to the sport, probably great for the kids to find the cache contents but right now it is an activity that i do when and if i have the time for it. I guess what keeps me going right now are the type of caches i tend to look for and the areas that they are located in. I am just wondering what others think of it, what keeps you going, and do you think it is something you will stick with the rest of your life.

I see it as a hobby. As far as where its going:

As more and more people get involved with geocaching, we will see more and more involvement from land managers. Some will like it and others won't. We will most likely see a many more rules and regulations as Groundspeak attempts to find a way for the ever increasing number of caches to be placed while appeasing land managers.

For me it's a hobby that I can do with my son. We cache very rarely and usually close to home since it's only when time allows. When we travel I collect waypoints in my GPS but rarely do we get to look since the women aren't interested in caching with us.

I'm also bad about not logging them after finding or hunting them. Our first caching trip wasn't logged for two months.

For the most part it is a hobby my family does together. We seldom "go caching" where that is the primary goal, but more often do it in conjunction with other activities to make them more interesting or a bit more fullfilling. For instance, we like to go for drives and just see what there is to see. Caching adds another dimension to this and gets us out of the car more often as well as taking us to places off the beaten path. Secondarily, it has gotten us out and active more.

Where is it going? In the not too distant future I see more regulation, fees and permits as being the norm. I would also not be surprised to see the federal government try to charge some kind of registration or usage fee much like they used to do with CB radios. I would also expedct thaqt as it grows and the commercial opportunities expand we will see more of a "professional sport" quality enter the picture with leagues, official rules, sanctioned events, corporate sponsorships and influences, etc . Because of their current position, I would expect Groundspeak to be at the forefront of this movement becoming the sports' major league and what I call the 2nd tier sites will become, essentially, the minor league or independent players' sites.

All just unresearched speculation of course. B)

To me, it is a part of a larger agenda involving other outdoor activities. But it is also a solitary activity participated in at varying degrees as people see fit to participate.

Where is it going?

I see more commercialization in the sport.

You can't really call it a sport but an 'activity or hobby' IMHO. Camping is not a sport per se.. neither is golf IMHO.

Edited by OccidentalErrant
You can't really call it a sport but an 'activity or hobby' IMHO. Camping is not a sport per se.. neither is golf IMHO.

A sport is something that is competative, an activity/hobbie is not. So it is how you play the game. But Golf is a sport, LOL. But why would you chase a little ball around a field??????

cheers

A sport is something that is competative, an activity/hobbie is not. So it is how you play the game. But Golf is a sport, LOL. But why would you chase a little ball around a field??????

cheers

Yeah, I know it is how you play the game.. but I am not in competition with anyone... so, to me it is just an activity. and I don't play the 'game' of golf.. I can't see chasing a little ball around a field either.. :lol:

I look at as a great pastime to spend with friends outdoors (like golf, my greater passion). It has gotten me back into hiking which I haven't done in years and now realize how much I missed.

As for where its going I would think it will grow significantly for a few years as more people hear about it, but, fear it will as someone else stated, somehow get commercialized. Free listings will likely be the first thing to go.

I also hope that public areas like National Forests don't become off limits to caching, but fear that too will get spoiled someday. Guess I sound a bit like the glass is half full don't I?

One reason that Geocaching is so great is that it can be a low-exertion pastime or it can be a wild adventure involving the most unique combinations of extreme outdoor sports. So it can a fun family outing, a great hookie activity, or a Brain-Intensive Mega Sport.

Competition means nothing. I run but I don't race. That doesn't make it a 'non-sport.'

2 cents in the change bucket.

- T of TandS

I see geocaching as many thing to each person. To me it is a hobby that gives me time with those close to me and it often educates us of things that are in our area. So I guess it'is a family educating hobby? I've talked to various people about why they geocache and what they enjoy about it and have found some suprising answers. One of the most unique ones was a family team who used geocaching as a tool for their child that they home school. They use the time for physical fitness (the hiking) math skills (used in some multis) geography (locating various areas) history (things of significance with the area) and plain ol' family bonding. Geocaching is a many faceted thing and is something different to each person.

As far as where I see it going? I think geocaching will grow larger and larger thru the years to come. It's gaining attention in national publications and it's a way for us to escape from the daily grind of life.

Geocaching to me is one of those things I plan a fair bit, but rarely get around to actually doing. I load pocket queries in for areas I’m planning to visit for other reasons, either hiking, boating, snowshoeing or just exploring. About 1 out of 15 times, I’ll actually do a little caching on the journey, but most of the time I don’t. Interestingly, when I get back I’ll think “Hey, I should have logged a couple caches while I was there” I’m still regretting not doing a couple on my vacation to Europe last year. So far, my biggest spurt of geocaching was accomplished when I was closely watching and comparing my Legend and sportrak to see which I preferred reception and accuracy wise. I don’t know how you’d classify it, but to me, most of the time its something to combine with some other activity to make a day more adventure filled.

As to where I think geocaching is going, that’s a tough question. Most of the people I’ve introduced to it haven’t continued as cachers once they get over the excitement of navigating with GPS. This leads me to believe it’s not something most people will keep an interest in for very long. Couple that with continuing restrictions on land use, and I think the lifespan of geocaching is probably only another 10 years or so. I’ll probably do it off and on for as long as it’s around, or until old age finally catches up with me enough to prevent me from venturing out and about.