Gps All-in-one?

M-T-P

Does anyone use a device like the Handspring Visor or another Palm-based PDA with a GPS attachment to seek caches, download waypoints, track finds, follow TBs, etc? Also, any applications that can record log data in the field and upload to GeoCaching.com? I use a HandyGPS with my Handspring Visor and love it, but so far, I haven't found any other applications that do everything else on my one PDA.

Cachemate lets you do semi-automatic logging. You can write the log in Cachemate, hotsync to get the logs to your PC, and then use Geocaching Express Logger to put the logs onto geocaching.com.

I don't use my Palm connected to my GPS while caching, because it's too much of a hassle dragging the cable around through the briars and brambles. I do use it in the car, though, with Mapopolis running for driving directions.

Does anyone use a device like the Handspring Visor or another Palm-based PDA with a GPS attachment to seek caches, download waypoints, track finds, follow TBs, etc? Also, any applications that can record log data in the field and upload to GeoCaching.com? I use a HandyGPS with my Handspring Visor and love it, but so far, I haven't found any other applications that do everything else on my one PDA.

You should check out Cachemate and its associated plug-in. It only costs $8 which is a really really good deal. It will offer all-in-one capability. You will be able to manage the cache waypoints, complete with description, hints, past logs, sort per name, wpt, distances and the beauty of it all is while viewing the cache description, press NAV and it will provide nav guidance to the cache, which rivals if not better than any GPS out there. I know. I'm using my Handspring Visor with the magellan GPS plugin and Cachemate. One catch, to get detailed cache description, you need to be a premium member...which is a really really good deal too.

The only problem I'm having is my color Visor completely washes out in sunlight, rendering this beautiful setup almost useless. I'm using it to sort the waypoints based on where I am so I can read about them inside the car. I have gone paperless with it though and it's great.

My first caching was with a Palm and a GPS sleave. After switching long ago to stand alone GPSs I wouldn't suggest the all in one solution to anyone. They aren't waterproof so you'll have to hasle with a plastic bag over the thing to actually be able to use it in the rain and then it fogs a bit inside. And they are just too fragile when you're climbing over rocks or sliding down that muddy hill. On top of that the battery life if just sad.

You should check out Cachemate and its associated plug-in.  It only costs $8 which is a really really good deal.  It will offer all-in-one capability.  You will be able to manage the cache waypoints, complete with description, hints, past logs, sort per name, wpt, distances and the beauty of it all is while viewing the cache description, press NAV and it will provide nav guidance to the cache, which rivals if not better than any GPS out there.

Thanks for all of this great info. I just tested out CacheMate and the CacheNav plugin, but it crashes my PDA when I launch CacheNav with the GPS attached. Some sort of communication error there for sure. The other thing I am having trouble with is getting the coordinates converted to dec for my built-in software with my HandyGPS. Is there an easy way to copy and convert coords from CacheMate to another Palm navigation app? The only way I can think of is with a pen and paper which defeats my whole plan of a paperless cache.

I want to let everyone know that I just bought CacheMate and used it with Pocket Queries to find two caches very easily by having the information right at my fingertips when I needed it. Also, I use a Handspring Visor and HandyGPS. With CacheMate's plugins, I was able to copy and paste the coordinates from CacheMate to my GPS navigation application.

I finally have my GeoCaching All-In-One solution!!!!!

I use my Palm Vx with a Magellan GPS Companion. I highly recommend checking out GeoNiche. I've tried out CacheMate and CacheNav as well, but I personally prefer GeoNiche by a long shot. Of course it's also something like $24 for the registered version, but to me it was well worth it.