1 Day Record

I was just out geocaching today and picked up 8 caches for 12 kilometers of walking. 8 caches in a day is my current record, from 7 in a day which was set just 2 days ago. The question here is what is your record for most caches in a day. If you're a "numbers don't matter" person please take no offense and move on to the next thread

I think our record is 5, but we're lucky if we get to spend more than a couple hours at a time caching...there always seems to be a soccer game or basketball game or choir practice or something like that to cut our time short. Oh, and that whole "job" thing really gets in the way, too! :ninja: BTW, that day we set our record including the highest D/T we've done...a 4/3.5...it's still our favorite find.

240 in Nashville on a run meant simply to see how many could be found in a cache dense area in 24 hours and break a record (which has since also been broken. I think it is 246 now if I remember right). Insane. I don't care to repeat it, although it was a blast at the time and I will never forget the fun of it because the company was great and it was just so different! But I am too old to be staying up for 24 hours straight and drinking convenience store coffee at 4am! A few weeks later I got to find 3 on a 12 mile hike in the Washington mountains. Also a blast and one that I do care to repeat! :ninja: Each are very different experiences. Both wear you out too. For the former though, the company and the oddness of it all makes the difference. For the later, the company was also a big part, but so was the final cache. Both were great but only the later would I seek to repeat. I will happily give suggestions to others though who want to go do a 24 hour run in a cache dense area. Mostly, make your own fun. Treasure the hard caches and treasure the run to see how many you get in a certain period of time. If you make it fun it will be either way! :ninja:

Edited by carleenp
The question here is what is your record for most caches in a day. If you're a "numbers don't matter" person please take no offense and move on to the next thread

I am a "numbers don't matter person", but don't worry, I don't slam anyone who worries about numbers...to each his own.

Anyway, your question intrigued me enough to search back to see what our record is. In turns out our most caches in a day is six. I was surprised, I never would have expected it to be that high. Our second best mark for a day is three, which we have done five times.

Our biggest concentration was 14 caches in 4 days, which we did last August while on holidays in Oregon. Caching just provides such a great way to see different places that other tourists might not go and to get off the beaten path. Whenever we go to a different area I make it a point to run a Pocket Query to see if there are any caches that sound interesting near the destination.

Cheers!

Shees I think I would have to hang my head in shame after the beating I took on another thread over motivation. But so far 21 in 10.5 hours but there was 3 hours of driving to the area, denver to co springs, and back. so then 21 in 7.5 hours. This was hard as the person I was with had done most the caches in the area so we had to drive anywhere from 5 to 10 miles around the springs to do vairous caches. I am so ashamed.

cheers

First congrats Camo-Crazed on approaching 100 caches.

My personal best seemed to be stuck for a very long time at 9 in one day, then finally I got 10 one day, and we were excited when we got to 10 as it seemed unattainable, especially since 3 times earlier that month we only made it to 9 finds also. And just 3 days after getting 10, we got 13 finds and then a month after that an incredible 17 finds and that was with my son and grandma, and probably about 400km of driving. I tried many times to surpass 17 and got close a few times, but finally after a year I got 29 in one day as part of a 24 hr geocaching marathon (found 43 during the 24 hours, but it was spread over 2 days, so to me my personal best was 29 and not 43). Then to my surprise a week later, and again with my 7 year old and girlfriend we got an incredible 31...so 31 is my current personal best and I don't think I will ever beat that. I'm usually happy to be able to get 9 in a day as long as we are having fun and thats what counts...but those numbers can be fun too and definately makes the hobby interesting too.

Now I have always been curious, does anyone know what the record is for most caches in one actual day? By one day I mean during the same day, and not over a 24 hr period spead over 2 days. I do admire those that have gotten 240+ finds during a 24 hr period...that certainly is determination.

First congrats Camo-Crazed on approaching 100 caches.

Now I have always been curious, does anyone know what the record is for most caches in one actual day? By one day I mean during the same day, and not over a 24 hr period spead over 2 days. I do admire those that have gotten 240+ finds during a 24 hr period...that certainly is determination.

What do you mean by one day, since a day is normally 24 hours (we did not spread that out and went from 10am to 10am straight)? Do you mean 12 hours or in daylight etc? I don't know the answer, but know of people who did 10-12 hours runs in Nashville that got around or over 100. I didn't keep track there though and just know from talking with some at a dinner after the day was done (these were runs during GWII in Nashville, which is also when we did ours, but we just kept going for another 12 hours). :ninja: I want to say that in 12 hours or so that I know of 125 or so, but I can't document that in anyway since I just heard it through talk. I also don't know where we were at that time, but it would have been between 100 and 125.

Edited by carleenp

After a long gap over the holidays and with a lot of caches to clear out, I did 21 out of 22 attempted last New Year's eve spread end to end over the New Orleans area. The first cache was found at ---(2004-12-31, 8:18:07)--- the last at ---(2004-12-31, 15:57:32)--- just over seven and a half hours between first and last finds including lunch etc. I wrote all my logs on the route in the PDA, too. I used GSAK to prep the list, exported the entire hitlist to MapPoint, removed the caches not really feasible for that day (like the ones in Florida) and optimized route. I had laptop in car, and referred to the map as I went along.

Since then, I've been keeping the New Orleans area pretty clear - so there's really no way for me to get big numbers here - but got to get over to Chalmette for a few I'm saving up for a run, and then I'll widen my "regular" area to include Houma, Slidell and Biloxi.

19, yesterday, in an effort to get to 100 in a month. I won't be doing that again; did it in two separate efforts (9 in the morning between 0800 and 1100, and 10 in the afternoon between 1600 and 1900) sandwiched around mowing the lawn, doing the bills, and meeting some friends for lunch. I was exhausted by bedtime.

What do you mean by one day, since a day is normally 24 hours (we did not spread that out and went from 10am to 10am straight)? Do you mean 12 hours or in daylight etc?

I think he means Starting at 12:00 AM and ending at 11:59:59 PM on the same day. A 24 hour period that spans 2 days, (i.e. 10:00 AM Tuesday to 10:00 AM Wednesday) would cause your finds to be "split" over a 2 day period in the logs. It's really just semantics, though. 24 hours is 24 hours no matter how you slice it.

The question here is what is your record for most caches in a day.

26 last Sunday along the Kennet and Avon canal in Wiltshire and Berkshire. I was on my bicycle, and cycled 17 miles, with 2 short train journeys and 220 miles driving in the car as well.

They're great caches too!

There is a bit of friendly rivalry between me and a few other local cachers for most in a day. I've thrown the gauntlet back to them now, and will wait and see what they come up with!

I did 54 in one "calendar day" in Nashville back in Dec '03. While that might be considered "child's play" to some of the other "numbers runners" in that area, I'm still pretty proud of the achievement since I did it solo...didn't have someone else to do the "one drives while the other jumps out for the grab" drill. I actually had to stop and park and walk around the Vandy area for a couple hours to clear out the Way-Finding Sign series there (at the time).

I've also done 20-25 per calendar day in several other areas at least 6 or 7 times.

Of course these runs were all made back in either Summer '04 or previous to that. Since then, I've developed "micro fatigue", and have decided that it's now more fun to be selective and just do 5-10 "what I consider higher quality" caches in a day, than to just drive from micro to micro in an area and crank stats. I guess you could say I've "graduated" from "Numbers Ho University".

However, I willingly admit that it was fun being a "numbers ho" for the time that I did it...I don't denounce those still in that mode. (Having said that, my denouncement in many other threads of the "micro spew" situation, and its changing of the game, still stands, but aside from slipping that in here :ninja: is better left for those other threads.)

-Dave R.

106 on our first full day of caching in Nashville last year. We were out of the hotel by 8AM and kept going until 2AM. B) We had agreed before the trip that this one was all about the numbers. I had more fun that weekend than I would have ever imagined. :mad: Team CHB arrived Thursday evening, picked up Paintfiction at the airport, tossed our bags into the hotel rooms, and went out for a few (30) just for kicks and giggles before going to sleep. Oh, I also logged 2 DNF's that day too. :( The weekend total was just under 300.

My solo personal best is probably around 25-30.

I did 28 solo in the Laurel, MS area. Most were micros. I had 1 DNF which would have been a find if I'd had the cache info, it was the only cache I didn't have info on and it was a multi.

I normally do 10 - 20 a trip, it's too far to drive to any unfound caches without getting at least 10.

I'll have to check and see how many traditional-REGULAR caches I have as a record. It's fairly easy to run up micro finds, little walking and many are poorly hidden.

I'd like to see a new thread that is titled "What's your record: Regular sized caches on a solo trip".

southdeltan

What do you mean by one day, since a day is normally 24 hours (we did not spread that out and went from 10am to 10am straight)? Do you mean 12 hours or in daylight etc?

I think he means Starting at 12:00 AM and ending at 11:59:59 PM on the same day. A 24 hour period that spans 2 days, (i.e. 10:00 AM Tuesday to 10:00 AM Wednesday) would cause your finds to be "split" over a 2 day period in the logs. It's really just semantics, though. 24 hours is 24 hours no matter how you slice it.

Yup, that's what I meant...a true day Starting at 12:00 AM and ending at 11:59:59 PM. When we did our 24 hour thing I was pushing for the midnight to midnight thing so that we could have said it was in a day, but most people wanted to do the 8am-8am thing so that's what we went with, and hence in my logs and personal records I splitt the finds into 2 days, since that is what it was. Sounds like the record for a true day of caching would be atleast 120+ caches and probably by one of the 240+ find achievers. I remember when people were talking not too long ago about trying to get 100 caches in 24 hrs, which seemed unachievable at the time.

It might not all be about the numbers, but as can be seen here, it is part of the game and sometimes adds to the enjoyment and it also gives us personal goals to shoot for.

LOL I think there is Nashville and then the rest of the World when it comes to cacheing. Like comparing apples and oranges.

Density matters, but there's nothing really magic about Nashville or its caching.

I turned in a 66 find day (solo, no tour guide, no navigator, etc.) in the Santa Clara/Mountain View area just a few weeks ago and a 58 or 59 find day in Chattanooga over the holidays. There are many places around the country with the density to crank those kinds of days.

Frentic caching is a different game and it can be fun if you want to play. Sometimes I enjoy the mental challenge of planning on the fly how many logbooks I can sign per hour and sometimes I don't.

LOL I think there is Nashville and then the rest of the World when it comes to caching. Like comparing apples and oranges. No it is great really some day I may make it to Mecca, aka Nashville.

cheers

Seeing as though the new numbers record is in Jacksonville, and numerous threads have posted that some areas in California have more caches than we do, I would say we're not the mecca, it's just that GW2 was here and that's where so many numbers have come from. And, if you're east of the Mississippi and up north, we're the closest to get to by car.

I have to concur with Robert. Last Saturday we found 86 including an event we were at for quite a while in Bedford, Indiana. Lots of good caches, I am looking forward to going back. The saturday before that we found 110 in Morristown, Tennessee. This weekend I am loking forward to taking a break. I think it is safe to say that both Bedford and Morristown are relatively small places off the beaten path, but they have very healthy geocaching communities. We had a blast and saw lots of interesting places and even some new hide types. The folks we met were wonderful and even though we found a bunch of caches I do not think we missed any of the experiences. As the sport has grown there are more and more places with nice cache density. Of the 196 we found over the last two saturdays very few were in traditionally "lame" locations. It was nice to see great density and a nice variety of caches.

To stay on topic, I was on the first Nashville record run, 236 from Midnight till 10 PM, with a break to watch the Titans-Colts game, hey you have to have priorities. Since then we have had 3 days with over 100 I remember offhand.

TEAM NAB (that's NashvilleJoe, AbbysGrammy and Bulli the Wonder Dog) did 27 in a recent day on our trip back to Tenn. from Miami, FL. And, we weren't even really trying. We stopped at every Cracker Barrell along the route and each rest area on the interstates and welcome centers entering another state. Not bad for a day's run, right? B)

I'm actually almost ashamed to admit that my record is 8 in a day... but, that was set on my first day Caching.. B) The second time we (my gf and I) got 8, was in an evening, as we attempted to hit the 50 mark in 30 days... so it was about 8 in 2.5-3 hours. Now, the plan is to hit 100 within 60 days.. only 38 to go.

240 is just phenomenal... that's one every six minutes. Well done!