Large Ammo Cans

I recently recieved as a birthday gift a vary large ammo can.

Here it is pictured next to what seems to be a standard sized can for a geocache: 7.62MM can:

bigammocan.jpg

I really need to do this behemoth justice, and make a cache appropriate for it's size. So this I pose to you, the geocaching community:

What would you do with a cache like this?

Here is what one geocacher did with a very large can. It was actually a grenade box, which is about the size of your ammo box. The owner basically dumped out his entire box of geocaching goodies in it. It was STOCKED!!!

It took two of us to carry it to its hiding spot.

Another idea is to make it into a "Book Crossing" cache. You can fit a nice lot of books in one of those.

Alright I can't keep a secret. I'm going to fill it with________ :mad: and place it in a_________ :ninja: . When you find it you need to use the__________ :ninja: inside to__________ B) . After you___________ :D replace the_____________ :ninja: the way you found it and______________ B) with the______________ :P . Then and only then will you get credit for the find. Hope this helps B) .

That's a pretty good sized ammo box (I've seen a few that are a little bigger). I recommend putting the cache way out in the sticks and fill it with goodies (CDs, books, casette tapes, 8 tracks, small stuff animals, etc.)

Make it a multi/puzzle cache.

A container like that is too good for a ordinary traditional urban cache. B)

Make it a REALLY good cache.

My Caesar's Library cache uses a box like that. It is a book-themed multi. Each preliminary stop is library-related and the directions must be deciphered.

If I had to do it all over (and I might if we end up moving to the frozen tundra of MN), I would have not used the encryption so the cache would be easier to find. With it's difficulty, it doesn't get many visits and therefore, the books don't get traded much. In my opinion, the best thing about having a book-themed cache is seeing the different titles that get traded through.

One good thing about this cache is that it is easy to spot when floating away. A few months after placing it, the hide location got flooded. I stopped by to check on it and it was floating in a few feet of water. I carefully (but foolishly) walked out on a downed tree and lassoed (sp?) the cache. I then tied it to a nearby tree to enable it to survive the regular flooding that the area gets.

That's a pretty good sized ammo box (I've seen a few that are a little bigger). I recommend putting the cache way out in the sticks and fill it with goodies (CDs, books, casette tapes, 8 tracks, small stuff animals, etc.)

Make it a multi/puzzle cache.

A container like that is too good for a ordinary traditional urban cache. :blink:

have you ever thought about the fact that he may not have that much money not trying to be mean I'm just saying I wouldn't make anything that rich but then that is me :rolleyes:

have you ever thought about the fact that he may not have that much money not trying to be mean I'm just saying I wouldn't make anything that rich but then that is me :lol:

It was a suggestion. I'm sure many of us have these items lying around that we could put into a cache simply because we don't use these items anymore.

Anyone want a DVD of Ultimate Fighting Championship II?

Fill it full of McToys!! :lol:

Then ask that people just take and not trade unless they want to, and then only for another McToy. If you don't already have a couple bushels of McToy, you can buy them by the bushel at garage sales. Think of the look on a kids face when he/she realized that a trade was not expected, and there was a whole treasure box of toys, not just a little can of them.

What a great opportunity to redistribute McToy wealth. :lol:

Fill it full of McToys!! :lol:

Then ask that people just take and not trade unless they want to, and then only for another McToy. If you don't already have a couple bushels of McToy, you can buy them by the bushel at garage sales. Think of the look on a kids face when he/she realized that a trade was not expected, and there was a whole treasure box of toys, not just a little can of them.

What a great opportunity to redistribute McToy wealth. :lol:

Actually that isn't a bad idea at all. As long as the toys are still in the original plastic wrapper, it should in good condition.

I don't understand why people feel so disappointed in finding them in caches.