Boy Scouts And Geocaching :d

I just wanted to say that I think Geocaching is a great way to teach stuff in boy scouts also I wanted to know who out there is a boy scout was a boy scout or a leader I just want to know whether a lot of geocachers are boy scouts (or a leader or something)

Just tell a little about yourself (ie. troop, rank, leadership rank ect.)

I myself am a star scout working on life scout and in a year in a half hopefully an eagle scout ( I'm trying to get it before my 15th birthday) I am also a patrol leader.

Thank you :ninja:

Shoobie & the Sand Crabs

Edited by Shoobie & the Sand Crabs

I'm a Cub Scout Leader...does that count? I'm the Committee Chair/Advancement Chair/Registration Chair/Chief Papershuffler for my son's Pack in East Tennessee. This is our 3rd year in Cub Scouts and our 1st year in geocaching. I'd been wanting a GPSr for our hiking/camping adventures, and geocaching just gives us that many more opportunities to use it and spend time together outdoors.

Over the last couple weeks, we've introduced a couple other families from our Den to geocaching, and they got hooked immediately. We're going to put together a geocaching activity for our 16-boy Den this Spring. I hope to have a few local geocachers come out some weekend and help me hide severeal micros, multis, etc. around the church property where we meet. Then we'll teach the boys about GPS's and have each cacher take 2 or 3 boys around to find the various caches. The final will be a trading cache, and afterward, we'll place the trader somewhere as a new cache that the boys can help maintain and monitor.

I just wanted to say that I think Geocaching is a great way to teach stuff in boy scouts also I wanted to know who out there is a boy scout was a boy scout or a leader I just want to know whether a lot of geocachers are boy scouts (or a leader or something)

Eagle Scout, Troop 843 in Carrollton, Tx. 1984.

Currently a leader in a Boy Scout troop in Delaware County, PA. Two interesting side notes here:

1. I learned about GC.com from a forum on www.meritbadge.com, a web site with obvious content. I highly recommend it to other leaders (get a forum log on, and tell them I sent you from GC.com)

2. Turns out one of the other leaders is a 'cacher. It's his GPS III that I borrowed to find my first 2 caches (and not find one).

Hey! Hi... My name is Alex. I am a 16 year old Life Scout (Just need my Eagle Board of Review for Eagle) of Albuquerque Troop 166. If you want to see me, pick up this months issue of Scouting Magazine (March/April). My Troop got the cover shot and my brother and I are in there (I am the one with long hair with the water fall near me and I have one with my name in there). I was the Senior Patrol Leader of my Troop then... Anyways, it is pretty hard to get GPS Geocaching into Scouts. I think the best way would be to set up a orienteering course (with compasses) to a cache you know about. Adults are very receptive to this, but they are not very receptive to GPS. Yep...

lctrumpet i saw you in that issue. pretty chillin. anyway im and eagle scout from troop 15 warwick, rhode island. i made eagle two years ago and i am right now an assistant scoutmaster. i love the program and plan to stay active for a long time. my father the current scoutmaster and i got each other gps' for christmas. we didnt talk about it at all to each other so it was quite amusing. anyway one of the fathers of a new scout found out we both got these for christmas. he had recently bought one himself. he found gc.com in a search and let us know about it. right now our tiny troop of 10 boys is fully sucked into geocaching. and its become a slight competition between the adults who has the most finds. not that that really matters to me i just like finding them, but i think some small friendly comp. is good. like i said though the whole troops loves it and it help to motivate the boys for hikes and such, most of which really need it.

peace, bob

Cubmaster 2001-present, Committee member for my sons' troop (youngest just bridged to BS, older boy has been in BS for five years). (They wouldn't let me into Cub and Boy Scouting 'cause I'm a girl B) ). I was a Camp Fire Girl from second grade into high school. I have always loved camping and hiking; geocaching is one more fun thing to do as a family in the outdoors.

I bacame an Eagle Scout back in the 70's.

Colorado Springs troop 63 to be exact.

5 time camper at Camp Alexander.

OA recepitant at camp.

Around 76, girls and fast cars took over and the rest is history.

I still go on scout campouts with a friend of mine and his son.

I also lead caving trips for several local troops, during the winter months.

Hi, I am a life scout working on eagle and hope to get it some time in august after national jamboree.

I am also a patrol leader and might become spl, with the elections coming up for our troop, and I think I have a good chance of getting it :D

and btw is anyone else going to national jamboree :lol:

I the female half of chstress, I was the first female explorer scout in NJ. I was a den leader, webelos leader, Cubmaster, Scout Leader, Venture leader, Tiger Coordinator, District Commissioner, Assistant Scout leader, Explorer leader, Wood Badge trained and OA member. I have received the District Award of Merit. I also raised 1 eagle and two life scouts, I am currently serving as merit badge leader for 15 merit badges. I've been a brownie, a Cadette Scout, and a Sr GS , I also raised my daughter to be a gold GS. All of my adult children help in there neighborhood troops, and we all geocache. Hubby was never a scout as a child but has been my assistant in all scout activities.

Edited by chstress53

I was a Cub Scout back when Lion was still a rank and Webelos was only a rumor. I was a Boy Scout (Troop 23 in Macon, GA).

Now I am the new troop committee chairman for Troop 709 in Merritt Island, FL. I still think I'm having more fun at it than my son, Rabbit Jr. He's great, however, in ferreting out well hidden caches. I'm too old (hah!) to go digging around in the brush. :lol:

I am a pack leader and LightningBugs Boy is a bear cub in Pack 184. I looked Alex up in Scouting - yes, there he is on page 23 I believe.

We attended the Winter-ee at another council a month or so ago with a contingent from the Wisconsin Geocaching Association. We helped the boys find temporary caches placed around the park, which they could keep trinkets from. They loved it of course. I think the most important part was introducing them and their parents to GPS technology. We may have managed to get a few of those parents interested...

Boy Scout a bunch of years ago.... Den leader, Assist SM, Advancement, Chr.. etc for 10 years or more and now am the Boy Scout liaison for the United States Orienteering Federation. Administer a Scout Orienteering Championship each year in Eastern PA. Two Eagle sons. Helped rewrite the Oreinteering MB book and sections of the SM handbook to reflect Orienteering in a more accurate light. Haven't merged Gocaching and Scouts at this point, but could happen.

see www.scoutorienteering.com

Very interesting.

I was a scout for a couple years.

My son is now in his second year of cub scouts(3rd graders).

Cub scouts was kind of disappointing for him last year and this year is not off to a great start.

They get told things they are going to be able to do at the start of the year, but then the leaders never do them.

This year we were told it was going to be different.

They asked the kids what they wanted to do this year as there are a number of things they have to do in the book, but they could pick things from a list.

To make a long story short things are not much different this year then from last year. Other then there are a lot less kids coming to the meetings. :lol:

At the next meeting I'm hoping to bring up geocaching to the leaders.

My son thinks it would be fun to take the pack geocaching so will see what the leaders think.

Wish me luck, :lol:

Edited by Milbank

Very interesting.

I was a scout for a couple years.

My son is now in his second year of cub scouts(3rd graders).

Cub scouts was kind of disappointing for him last year and this year is not off to a great start.

They get told things they are going to be able to do at the start of the year, but then the leaders never do them.

This year we were told it was going to be different.

They asked the kids what they wanted to do this year as there are a number of things they have to do in the book, but they could pick things from a list.

To make a long story short things are not much different this year then from last year. Other then there are a lot less kids coming to the meetings. :lol:

At the next meeting I'm hoping to bring up geocaching to the leaders.

My son thinks it would be fun to take the pack geocaching so will see what the leaders think.

Wish me luck, :lol:

This tends to happen in cub scouts alot boy scouts is much different. :lol:

Hi, I am a life scout working on eagle and hope to get it some time in august after national jamboree.

I am also a patrol leader and might become spl, with the elections coming up for our troop, and I think I have a good chance of getting it :huh:

and btw is anyone else going to national jamboree :lol:

I hope you make it to eagle scout.

sorry though I can't make it to the jamboree :lol: unfortunately by the time I found out about it it was too late to get my troop to go I relly wanted to go :lol::lol::lol: I'm getting teary eyed i just can't stand it

P.S. don't make fun of me I really Really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really wnted to go (sound sincere cause it is)

Starting 3rd year as Commitee Chair for our Troop. Previously 4 years as Scoutmaster, 4 years as Asst Scoutmaster, 6 years in various Cub leader positions. Both sons made Eagle Scout (with 4 Palms), one son Vigil OA.

I first used the name EScout as an ID on a site in Feb 2000. Derived from Eagle, Electronic and the "E" award, earned in a local annual Field day where Scouts compete in 18 skills like firebuilding, knot tying, first aid, compass and orienteering and more.

Eagle Scout-Troop 350 Osceola, Missouri

Tom-Tom Beater-Tribe of Mic-O-Say

Former Den Leader Pack 67 Marionville, Missouri

Former Scoutmaster Troop 67 Marionville, Missouri

1984 Staff Member H. Roe Bartle Scout Reservation Osceola, Missouri

Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Brave, Thrifty, Clean, and Reverent!!!